Author Topic: High Valyrian Word 'Issa'  (Read 3982 times)

DannyJeffrey

• Learning High Valyrian!
    • View Profile
High Valyrian Word 'Issa'
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:25:40 am »
Rytsas!

I am attempting to learn High Valyrian, and I was wondering what 'Issa' means, and where it should be used?

Kirimvose.

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: High Valyrian Word 'Issa'
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:28:37 am »
Irregular verb conjugation, third person present singular of sagon "to be". Go to http://wiki.dothraki.org/High_Valyrian_Verb_Conjugation, hit ctrl+f (or equivalent) and look for issa.
For usage, it's good to notice that because English doesn't use present continuos for "to be" and HV generally uses present instead of aorist for sagon, the use is closer to "is" than would be the case with most verbs.

disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm talking about. I know a lot about Dothraki but follow Valyrian from distance only (for now). I just check the wiki, and if the answer seems to be right there for picking, I give it.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

DannyJeffrey

• Learning High Valyrian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:11:33 pm »
Thank you, that makes much sense to me now.

Would saying "Issa sȳz daor" be the correct translation for "It's not good"?

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 08:17:53 pm »
Would saying "Issa sȳz daor" be the correct translation for "It's not good"?
Not quite, no, I don't think so. High Valyrian wiki is still lacking a lot of stuff (eg. http://wiki.dothraki.org/Learning_High_Valyrian#Syntax), so it often takes a bit looking around (the wiki, this forum, David's blog, Mad Latinist's Live Journal) to get the info you want, but one thing that you should learn fairly quickly is that HV likes to leave the verb at the end of the sentence.
Comparing to existing dialogue is a good way to get a quick hunch on how things work, and if you look at http://wiki.dothraki.org/Season_3_High_Valyrian_Dialogue, you'll notice that daor comes after the verb it modifies, so it'll be the very last word. The dialogue has even "Zaldrīzes buzdari iksos daor," from which you can notice that negative uses subjunctive, so iksos, not issa. I think the wiki will back that up.

AFAIK "Sȳz iksos daor." might very well work, but it also might very well not. "Iksos daor" is really the easy part. The English sentence has actually four words. We might still need to translate it as well as good, but HV is very pronoun-droppy, so maybe not: good is not is probably the right collection of words to be translated in the right order. But "good" is an adjective, adjectives normally modify words, and here that word would be the it which we just left off the sentence. Can sȳz be alone like that? And how would you decline it (or would you), since HV adjectives decline in gender, case and number (gender might be the problem here) according to the word they modify? Those are the kind of questions needing more knowledge and/or research than I can muster just now.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.