Author Topic: Basic High Valyrian Phrases  (Read 4074 times)

DannyJeffrey

• Learning High Valyrian!
    • View Profile
Basic High Valyrian Phrases
« on: June 13, 2014, 05:34:36 am »
Rytsas tolvys!

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the High Valyrian for some basic greetings/phrases like 'How are you?', 'I'm well' and anything else similar to this.
I'm trying to learn High Valyrian with my friends and these are a few phrases I couldn't work out.

Kirimvose!

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Basic High Valyrian Phrases
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 02:36:39 pm »
DannyJeffrey

Welcome to the Dothraki/Valyrian forums!

Unfortunately, the Valyrian side is not as closely monitored here as the Dothraki side is. You might go and spend some time in the Valyrian wikis, where most of the work is being done. However, even if you just 'wait' here, someone will see this sooner or later. As I don't have the time to devote to Valyrian that I do for Dothraki (and that time is limited, too), I am just as curious as you are to what some of these phrases might be.

In the meantime, you might want to post a list of the phrases you would like to see translations for.

In any case, Valyrian, and especially High Valyrian, is truly a fascinating language!
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

DannyJeffrey

• Learning High Valyrian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:53:10 pm »
Thank you for your reply and welcome, I do appreciate at least getting a response! I have noticed that Dothraki is more closely monitored than the High Valyrian side and I guess that's just unfortunate, however I'm hoping that as more books and television series are released, there will be more High Valyrian!
I have spent many long hours on the wikis and as of yet have found nothing similar to what I am searching for!

Phrases I would like to see translations for at the moment include:
How are you?
I'm well
What have you been up to? (Or any variation of this sort of thing)
Sometimes

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 02:22:12 am »
Valyrian is still very new to us - or is at least unfolding relatively slowly, as Peterson has limited time to let the secrets dribble. I'm not really part of the small group of people trying to figure things out, more looking at things from distance and might easily miss something. But I think there has not yet been any "basic conversational phrases" list from DJP. Exchanges like "How are you?" "I'm fine, thank you." are fairly certain to be done with fixed, non-literal phares, so if we don't know them yet, we just don't.

In addition to the wiki (which on the Valyrian side is still in active development), you might want to check David's blog (http://www.dothraki.com/). It should not be terribly cumbersome to hunt down all Valyrian-related posts. And if you're really going deep, try Mad Latinist's Live Journal (http://jdm314.livejournal.com/). That's where you can see most of the raw brain work.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.