Author Topic: Opinions about YouTube tutorial  (Read 5386 times)

Havazhyol

• Athdrivar vos annakhoo !
    • View Profile
Opinions about YouTube tutorial
« on: September 30, 2012, 05:15:52 am »
M'athchomaroon !

I'm starting to complete my learning process using the following tutorial.
But a commentary planted the seeds of doubt in the fields of my mind about the contents (declination of Vrelat : "-at" verb or "-lat" verb?)

May some wise and kind person tell me if those are correct to be used?

Dothraki Tutorial Lesson 0.5 - Epenthesis   (and all the dothraki tutos made by sunquan8094 )

Hajas!
I'm back !!

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions about YouTube tutorial
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:30:11 am »
The videos are generally very correct. There might just be a small error here or there but Sunquan has a very good grasp of the language. He also participates in the reguar IRC chats on mondays.

Vrelat is an easy word to get wrong since most verbs either end in a consonant plus the ending -at or they end in a vowel plus the ending -lat. So when you see the word vrelat you immediately think it should be vre-lat since 99% of verbs follow the normal rule. However in this case it just happens to be that the stem of the verb ends in an /l/ which means that it should actually be vrel-at. Because of this we generally add the past tense of the verb in the vocabulary (http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Vocabulary#vrelat) so that it's possible to identify the situations where the verb-stem actually ends in an /l/.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly