Information > David's Dothraki blog

Numbers

(1/2) > >>

Daenerys:
I was just reading over the number system.
How is the number 20 "chakat" formed?
Following the pattern 21 would be "atchakat", 22 "akatchakat"... 29 "qazatchakat"?
How about for 30, 40, 50 ...90?

ingsve:

--- Quote from: Daenerys on October 05, 2011, 10:40:34 pm ---I was just reading over the number system.
How is the number 20 "chakat" formed?
Following the pattern 21 would be "atchakat", 22 "akatchakat"... 29 "qazatchakat"?
How about for 30, 40, 50 ...90?

--- End quote ---

The answer is we don't know. The only number higher than 20 we know is 2011 which is akat dalen m'atthi which is said as "two thousand and eleven". Some languages say 21 as "one and twenty" while others simply say "twentyone". Which way it is in Dothraki we don't know.

Hrakkar:
A really good topic to add to the list of topics for DP to address in his blog. And timely as well, as I have caught myself up on enough dictionary stuff to start 'de na'vifying' the number table!

ingsve:

--- Quote from: Hrakkar on October 06, 2011, 01:21:23 am ---A really good topic to add to the list of topics for DP to address in his blog. And timely as well, as I have caught myself up on enough dictionary stuff to start 'de na'vifying' the number table!

--- End quote ---

Ya, I had "More on numbers" in my first list of Blog topics.

Daenerys:
Hrakkar since this is a post that would be good to locate in the DP thread, can anyone with admin privileges, move it to that thread rather than re-posting? I would but I can't. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version