Author Topic: An epithet for GRRM.  (Read 7946 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
An epithet for GRRM.
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:53:41 pm »
I was thinking that it could be fun to come up with a suitable non-canon epithet for George RR Martin in Dothraki, something that you could address him by if you were to meet him.

One obvious but kind of boring example could be simply Movek "The Creator". I'm hoping we can be a bit more imaginative than that. Don't feel restricted by the known vocabulary either. We can always ask David to translate something new to fit what we come up with.

Another example could be Aveei "Allfather" but that is also a but unoriginal.

So what are your suggestions?
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

shanoxilt

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
    • /r/LearnDothraki
Re: An epithet for GRRM.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:29:30 am »
Does Dothraki have a word for "author" or "writer"? Perhaps, he could be titled "He Who Authors the Universe".

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 12:29:30 pm »
Does Dothraki have a word for "author" or "writer"? Perhaps, he could be titled "He Who Authors the Universe".

No they don't. The Dothraki have no writing system of their own so any words related to writing would be loanwords from some other language and since those languages are unknown David has deliberately left such words blank. Perhaps now that he has created Valyrian that Dothraki could borrow words from that since Valyrian would be a dominating language in the cities where the Dothraki are likely to plunder.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 06:37:17 pm »
My support goes to Movek, I think it's the most likely.
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 05:19:22 am »
When an author manages to create a world that expands (in readers' minds) way past the framework of the story - manages to create 'verse -, I tend to start to think about em (that's Spivak pronoun - I also tend to get frustrated about gender specific pronouns, even if fighting them is a bit ugly and hopeless) as gates or gate keepers. That would work nicely here. Loshakof Emrakhi, perhaps?
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:13:18 am »
When an author manages to create a world that expands (in readers' minds) way past the framework of the story - manages to create 'verse -, I tend to start to think about em (that's Spivak pronoun - I also tend to get frustrated about gender specific pronouns, even if fighting them is a bit ugly and hopeless) as gates or gate keepers. That would work nicely here. Loshakof Emrakhi, perhaps?

I like that. He stands at the gate ready to open the door so that we can enter his world.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:42:42 am »

I'm not sure 'gate keeper' is the best we can come up with...but I sure like how that sounds!
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Havazhyol

• Athdrivar vos annakhoo !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 03:28:46 am »
Hi there.

What about Khal among the Khals, or Khals of all Khals (since there is no word for among)

Khal ki Khali

Or maybe Nakh ogat voji kisha zhili, jaqqa ! (Stop killing the one we like, murderer!  sorry if some declinations are wrong...)

:-X
I'm back !!