Author Topic: Random Translation Help: "Find Your Way Home"  (Read 4992 times)

jennz0r

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Random Translation Help: "Find Your Way Home"
« on: June 09, 2014, 03:19:12 pm »
Hello Everyone! I'm trying to write a translation for "Find your way home". The closest I could get is "Ezi yeri os okrenegwin." Can someone let me know what they think? Is that accurate enough?

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: Random Translation Help: "Find Your Way Home"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 07:10:19 pm »
Depending on what tone you are aiming at, you might want to consider changing ezi to ezas. The former is a strict command, while the latter is more a cordial command, encouragement or wish.

Os is IMO a good word, but yeri needs to go after it.

What ever the word for "home", it should be in allative as it's a destination. So okrenegwin -> okrenegwinaan.

"Home" is a very loaded and not very Dothraki concept, so there's no right answer, probably, and you can deal with it in many ways. In a way okrenegwin, "stone tent", is a good word, as it signifies kind of settling down that's uncommon among Dothraki, but which inevitably signifies that you have decided to call one place a home. On the other hand it signifies a life style foreign to Dothraki and can thus have a connotation of "unhomely" rather than of homely. I'd go with okre zhorre, "own tent". That should be a nicely nuanced, heartful phrase. I'm not absolutely sure about the inflection, but should be okraan zhorre.

So my proposal: Ezas os yeri okraan zhorre.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

jennz0r

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:46:43 pm »
Awesome, thanks so much! Your suggestions are super helpful.

I'm trying to find a way to give you karma for this... is that possible in this forum?

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 02:52:04 pm »
You're welcome. A 'thank you' is enogh. I don't think karma is much used here.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 01:44:50 pm »
Zhey Jennz0r, karma cannot be given until you have 25 posts on the forum. This is to prevent someone from coming here and messing with people's karma out of spite. So, I gave Qvaak a karma point for you, one he deserves, anyway because he does such an awesome job here!
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

jennz0r

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:09:42 pm »
Awesome thank you so much!  :D