Author Topic: Hello I'm Ingsve  (Read 6009 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Hello I'm Ingsve
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:23:05 pm »
Hi, my name is Ingemar and I'm a physicist from Gothenburg, Sweden.

I got into ASOIAF through the CCG A Game of Thrones where I was player and an active member of the online community for several years. It wasn't until after I had played hte game for a while that I read the books which meant that I have a slightly diffrent view of various houses in the books than most other fans. For instance the first house I played was Greyjoy so I have much more love for the Greyjoys than the common fan who only know them through a few chapters in the books while I relate to them in a diffrent way because of the cards.

Unlike other people here I have no background in linguistics at all but I'm interested in languages and I have learnt a lot in the past few months since got involved in the (yet tiny) dothraki community.
I have an idea of perhaps translating some of the CCG cards into Dothraki one day but we'll see how feasable something like that would be later on. First of all I tend to become as fluent as possible.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Lajaki

• Administrator
  • We all swore oaths.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
Re: Hello I'm Ingsve
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:44:28 am »
You're not a bad linguist, dude.

I never got into the CCG. All I ever did was read the books. I was really into the LOTR TCG, though...

Memziri

• judytuna
    • View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:19:05 pm »
Do you still play the CCG? I've only read about it. What drew you to the asoiaf CCG (LCG, for "living card game", as the publishers were trying to style it for a while?) over other CCGs? I'm only curious about the asoiaf CCG because I loved the books so much. The only other CCG I've ever played for any length of time is the WoW TCG (and the WoW minis, for a short while). I'm around Magic (I work at a game store) but don't play it myself.

What about the game of thrones roleplaying game?? Again, I've only read about it (and have even less experience with tabletop rpg than I do with CCGs) ... =)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:41:26 pm »
No, I don't play it regularly anymore. My playgroup dissipated as people moved away and finished university etc so we stopped buying new cards. We are still a few people that get together from time to time to play with our old cards though.

I got into the game because of my friends. I hadn't played any CCGs before but I hung out with my friends when they played and I was bored so one of them lent me a deck to play and that got me hooked right away. And as tends to happen when I get interested in something I became very involved in the community and was one of the people on the games forums that knew the rules and answered questions a lot and we eventually also became playtesters before things fell apart in the play group.

I have also played and collected Call of Cthulhu CCG and later I tried Magic but I never bought any Magic cards. I've never been into role playing really so I haven't looked into the RPG at all.

LCG is what the game currently is. There is still a strong and devoted player base but it has become bigger in Europe than in the US since they came out with cards in frensh, german, spanish, italian, hungarian etc. LCG is actaully a slight change in format compared to a CCG. Instead of having randomized booster packs all cards are instead sold as fixed expansion packs. It's sort of like an in between between a CCG and a board game in that it can be played right out of the core set box but it's also costumizable through expansion packs and your own deck building but it lacks the collecting of random cards that is the hallmark of a CCG.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 06:26:04 pm »
Regarding the CCG. I have gotten the permission from Fantasy Flight Games to do translations of some of the cards into Dothraki so that is something I will set out to do when we learn more appropriate words.

Verak

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 09:30:45 pm »

Zehy Ingsve

I agree that your linguistic knowledge is really impressive and you clearly have as good a grasp on Dothraki as anyone so far (other than David P.)  ;)

Thank you for all of the time and effort you've spent here already.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:37:33 pm »

Zehy Ingsve

I agree that your linguistic knowledge is really impressive and you clearly have as good a grasp on Dothraki as anyone so far (other than David P.)  ;)

Thank you for all of the time and effort you've spent here already.

San athchomari yeroon.

As I mentioned above regarding the card game I tend to get heavily involved in things I'm interested in no matter if it's playtesting a game or being raidleader in WoW etc. I don't know if I should consider it an asset or a weakness though.