Learn Dothraki > Dothraki Language Updates

The dothraki language wiki site.

(1/6) > >>

ingsve:
This forum is just a temporary place to collect various information about the dothraki language. Everything posted here or otherwise found will be added to the dothraki language wikipage that can be found at wiki.dothraki.org.

That is the place to find more structured entries about the various grammatical topics. The wiki is under constant construction so if the information you are looking for isn't there already you can just check back regularly or why not help to build the wiki yourself.

Also make sure to visit @learndothraki on Twitter and why not stop by for a chat on the IRC: irc.dothraki.org/dothraki

ingsve:
People were asking for a place to go to learn Dothraki so I have started a page on the wiki that is meant to serve as a starting hub that links to all the various other pages. http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Learningdothraki

If anyone adds a page with some type of content, make sure to also add a link at this page so people can find it easily.

Qvaak:

--- Quote ---People were asking for a place to go to learn Dothraki so I have started a page on the wiki that is meant to serve as a starting hub that links to all the various other pages. http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Learningdothraki
--- End quote ---
This is really good improvement. I have been meaning to ask for many little improvements and I think this dealt with all the most important ones. It seems a whole lot of grammar pages are getting updated too. Looks great.

One suggestion comes to mind browsing through new and updated pages: How about having, at each page where relevant, maybe before the references, a section Thing We Don't Know Yet? That would be much clearer than just dropping notes and implications. I feel communicating, what is not known is quite important and we should not shy from admitting our occasional ignorance.

Plural nominative for animate nouns? Cases for other pronouns than personal?
I don't know much about what we don't know, but I'm sure there are still unknowns at the most areas.

Oh, and should these discussions migrate to the wiki? I feel more at ease commenting here, but the wiki does have those discussion pages.

ingsve:

--- Quote from: Qvaak on May 26, 2011, 02:09:51 pm ---
--- Quote ---People were asking for a place to go to learn Dothraki so I have started a page on the wiki that is meant to serve as a starting hub that links to all the various other pages. http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Learningdothraki
--- End quote ---
This is really good improvement. I have been meaning to ask for many little improvements and I think this dealt with all the most important ones. It seems a whole lot of grammar pages are getting updated too. Looks great.

One suggestion comes to mind browsing through new and updated pages: How about having, at each page where relevant, maybe before the references, a section Thing We Don't Know Yet? That would be much clearer than just dropping notes and implications. I feel communicating, what is not known is quite important and we should not shy from admitting our occasional ignorance.

Plural nominative for animate nouns? Cases for other pronouns than personal?
I don't know much about what we don't know, but I'm sure there are still unknowns at the most areas.

Oh, and should these discussions migrate to the wiki? I feel more at ease commenting here, but the wiki does have those discussion pages.

--- End quote ---

Ya, having mentions about what we don't know is a good idea but at the moment I'm still in the process of adding things we do know so I'd rather spend time on that than writing things we don't know. But that's a good thing to add when there is no more known things to add. I do have a mental note of things that need to be fleshed out more with David for example. I think I'll start a post here where we can list things that needs to be asked.

And I think keeping the discussing here is good. I'm more of a forum person and it's easy to see when people have posted etc. I'm not too familiar with the wiki discussion pages.

ingsve:
I've started creating a tutorial for learning Dothraki on the wiki now but since I'm not that much of a writer there are probably things that can be changed to explain things in a better way so everyone should feel free to go ahead and change things if you feel you have a better way of explaining things.

http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Tutorial_1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version