Author Topic: m'athchomaroon ^^  (Read 5898 times)

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
m'athchomaroon ^^
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:17:25 am »
Hi everyone!

I am really excited to be here and learn the Dothraki language with you and make some new friends and language buddies too!
I'm in lovely San Francisco.  I think this is such a wonderful forum and project! ^^ I look forward to getting to know you and be part of the community!

Take care and may wonderful blessings to all of you!  :)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: m'athchomaroon ^^
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:29:13 am »
Hi everyone!

I am really excited to be here and learn the Dothraki language with you and make some new friends and language buddies too!
I'm in lovely San Francisco.  I think this is such a wonderful forum and project! ^^ I look forward to getting to know you and be part of the community!

Take care and may wonderful blessings to all of you!  :)

M'ath and welcome.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:46:16 am »
Daenerys, I see you got yourself one of the better available names  :)

Too bad you weren't in Reno last Thursday (or were you?) That day, David Peterson, the creator of Dothraki, gave three presentations at the Worldcon science fiction convention. One was on creating the Dothraki language.  The second presentation was an introduction to linguistics, where David was one of several distinguished linguists speaking. The third was a very interesting-- and challenging-- language creation workshop.

In any case, welcome to the world of the Dothraki language. Please be patient and persistent, as things have been happening fairly slowly here. Take some time and examine the materials available here. There is no formal way yet to learn Dothraki, so you will have to work out your own way. There are some suggestions on the wiki of how to get started, but any method that works for you is OK.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:49:05 am »
Hrakkar, Thank you so much for the warm welcome!  :) I can be a bit shy to get involved so it is very cool of you.

I wasn't in Reno, but so would have loved to have been there and to have attend David Peterson's workshops. My roommate went with his friend and his girlfriend almost went, but I wasn't able to. Sadly, my roomie isn't into Dothraki so didn't attend any of Mr. Peterson's presentations, though he did bring me back a Targaryan button. The third talk you mention sounds awesome. I love languages in general, as they tend to define how people or cultures view the world and by learning new ones, you can see things in a different way. How wonderful is that?!

Thank you for your encouragement! :) Slow can be good, as it allows things to sink in. Hopefully, I can apply some of what I know about teaching language (I have a CELTA for teaching English to foreign language users), to learning Dothraki. :)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:12:41 am »
So, you came very close to going. Too bad you couldn't make it. Hopefully, that can be made up by participating in activities here. There is still much to learn! In any case, you can look at David Peterson's presentation here: http://dedalvs.com/dothraki/dothrakireno.pdf Pay special attention to the conversational Dothraki on pages 12 and 13.

At least you got a Targaryen button out of it. Those buttons came on a card in a set of four: Baratheon, Targaryen, Lannister and Stark. They put out several cartons of these cards, bagged in bags of about 20 cards, and 20-30 bags per carton. I almost took an entire bag before I realized that there were about 20 cards in each bag! A little later, I was waiting in line to get George R.R. Martin to autograph a couple of items. I was waiting in line with a couple of young men, brothers, from Sacramento. One of these had plugged his I-pod into a nearby power outlet and was 'jammin' away' while we waited for the line to move. Someone came around, handing out more of the button cards. The man who was not listening to tunes took two cards, one of them for his brother. He then got his brother's attention and handed him one of the cards. He looked at the card almost thoughtlessly, and removed (perhaps at random) the Lannister button and pinned it on his shirt. His brother looked almost horrified. He reached down and removed the button, telling him 'We do not wear Lannister buttons in our family'. It was all I could do to not laugh!

I must have found those buttons right after they were 'deposited' for people to take. 45 minutes later, all three or four cases of buttons were completely gone!

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:25:11 pm »
Yes, I almost went to the convention, but I wasn't invited along and it wasn't in the stars or my budget right now! I wish Mr. Peterson would do a presentation on Dothraki in the Bay Area. :) Guess you would have to come this way, since it appears you were blissfully located already in Reno for the event!

I am happy I got the button, but wow, my roomie, must have kept the other three for himself or his gf! I had first dibs on anything Targaryen or Dothraki.

Hmmm I wonder what house the Sacramento brothers are from! :P That is too funny!

They seriously need some more GOT tchotchkes and good quality ones. I did get a wonderful Khaleesi t-shirt as a tribute. ;) But most of the HBO paraphernalia on the show could be a little bit nicer. I think the dragon egg necklace looks like either a little pine cone or a small grenade. :P They came out with those awesome Master's Path Gift Set Boxes for the selected people out there to promote the show, but were not available. Have you seen those, they look incredible.  Wish I knew how to make jewelry so I could make the dragon broaches! :)

You were really fortunate to find the buttons first up! Yay! :)  Fichas jahakes moon! :)

I have been going over the link for David Peterson's presentation. Thanks so much for posting that! The conversation...is that between a non-dothraki and a Dothraki, since the response has "athchomar chomakaan" is used in return? The long response of why he isn't doing well, what is the translation of that? :)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:34:49 pm »
Yes, I almost went to the convention, but I wasn't invited along and it wasn't in the stars or my budget right now! I wish Mr. Peterson would do a presentation on Dothraki in the Bay Area. :) Guess you would have to come this way, since it appears you were blissfully located already in Reno for the event!

I am happy I got the button, but wow, my roomie, must have kept the other three for himself or his gf! I had first dibs on anything Targaryen or Dothraki.

Hmmm I wonder what house the Sacramento brothers are from! :P That is too funny!

They seriously need some more GOT tchotchkes and good quality ones. I did get a wonderful Khaleesi t-shirt as a tribute. ;) But most of the HBO paraphernalia on the show could be a little bit nicer. I think the dragon egg necklace looks like either a little pine cone or a small grenade. :P They came out with those awesome Master's Path Gift Set Boxes for the selected people out there to promote the show, but were not available. Have you seen those, they look incredible.  Wish I knew how to make jewelry so I could make the dragon broaches! :)

You were really fortunate to find the buttons first up! Yay! :)  Fichas jahakes moon! :)

I have been going over the link for David Peterson's presentation. Thanks so much for posting that! The conversation...is that between a non-dothraki and a Dothraki, since the response has "athchomar chomakaan" is used in return? The long response of why he isn't doing well, what is the translation of that? :)

Sadly those scent boxes were done by a company called Campfire that were hired to do the whole promotional campaign so it's unlikely that they would show up as regular merchandise.

I would also like to know the translation of that final response since it contains a few new words that we don't have a translation for yet.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 01:47:23 pm »
I would also like to know the translation of that final response since it contains a few new words that we don't have a translation for yet.

David gave the translation during the panel, but I do not remember it. I have since learned that I could have recorded the panel audio and shared it here. Well maybe next time. (Recording was apparently allowed unless sessions were posted 'no pictures or recording' (which a few were).)

And Daenerys, there might be an opportunity in the future for a Dothraki meetup of some sort in the Bay area. The Na`vi folks routinely do this, as there are quite a few of them in the Bay area, and I attend when I can. I also know that there is interest in doing this in the Bay area, as others have attempted it. It might take some growth in numbers to make this reliably do-able.

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 01:18:05 pm »
Hi Hrakkar,

A Bay Area meetup would be fun. I would need to be able to get there by public transport for now, but it would be a wonderful opportunity for us all to get together.

Hope you are having a great weekend!