Author Topic: Dothraki Prayer  (Read 6040 times)

Reuben22

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Dothraki Prayer
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:55:50 pm »
M'ath eyak! I'm going on a camping trip this weekend and I'm bringing some sage and gear for ceremony on this inlet that leads into a river. Full disclosure: I'm only part Native American but have learned some ceremony from my mentor who's Native Hawaiian and a colleague who's Ojibwe. I decided to say my prayer to the water in Dothraki and wanted to share it and get some feedback on my grammar skills (and catch any little mistakes I may have made).

Azhi jin azho ashefaan h'anhaan. Ashefa inavva shakfi ma meme azhi kisha atthirar. San athchomari shafkaan ha finaan ei shafka ray azh anna. Anha zalak astat ashefaan fin anha zigererak mae. Anha ray haj ma ray ver hezhah vosm' ashefa ray vitha mra oakah anni ayyey. Anha vek m'anha vo nesok finne anakhak. Anha qafak fin ashefa rhelae anna vezat gachezhor anni. Kesse anna finnesaan anha movekkhak. San athchomari shafkaan.

[Translation: Give this gift to the river for me. The river is your sister and she gives us life. Thank you for all that you have given me. I want to say to the river that I miss her. I have grown strong and have traveled far but the river has always flowed in my soul. I will be going and I do not know when I will stop. I ask that the river help me find my "home" (heartplace). Carry me to where I am meant. Thank you.]

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dothraki Prayer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:58:28 pm »
Athdavrazar, zhey Ruben22!

I'll have to try trasnslating this into Na'vi as well.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 02:48:05 pm »
Yikes.

It looks like I'm too late, vosma anha tihak loy yeni mr'asto:

Azhi jin azho ashefaan h'anhaan.  Ashefa inavva shafki ma meme azha kishaan atthirar.  San athchomari shafkaan ha finaan ei meshafka ray azh anhaan.  Anha zalak astat ashefaan fin meanha zigererak mae. Anha ray haj ma ray ver hezhah, vosm'ashefa zin vitha mra oakah anhoon ayyey. Anha vek, m'anha vo nesok finne anha anakhak. Anha qafak fin meashefa rhelae anna vezat gachezhor anni. Kesse anna finnesaan anha nem movekkhak. San athchomari shafkaan.

Don't worry too much about the mistakes. What you had was perfectly acceptable as a beginner. If you can do the ceremony again, you might want to improve the quality of the grammar, but that's entirely up to you.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the ceremony for? Was it just a prayer to the river, or was it apart of a larger process that you have to go through with your tribe?

Best,

Choyosor
My name means butt swarm

Reuben22

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:28:07 pm »
Thanks! I'm glad I got it good enough the first time, even if i wasn't perfect.

This wasn't part of a larger ceremony (though I hope to learn more water ceremony next summer when I visit my friend on a rez in Canada). This was mostly based on our conversations around wanting to thank the river for the big spiritual role its played in my life. My friend who's Ojibwe says when you want to talk to the river, place some tobacco in its waters (or waters that will eventually feed into the river) and send your thoughts, wishes, hopes and desires. The river will hear you.

Thanks for the edits! I'll incorporate them for the next time I get some alone time with the nearest river.