Author Topic: Ingsve's translation project  (Read 7642 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Ingsve's translation project
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:54:47 pm »
So, ever since I got involved in learning Dothraki I've had this idea of translating various cards from the A Game of Thrones CCG into Dothraki. This thread will be the beginning of this project. I will be gathering various translations and words in need of translating etc. I welcome any suggestions about how to do various translations etc so feel free to join in and help wherever you feel you can be useful.

To give an example of what I'm talking about I have attached a card for reference.

Each card generally contains a name (Khal Drogo), one or more traits (Dothraki, Lord), keywords (renown), some type of action and some flavor text.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:57:40 pm by ingsve »
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Ingsve's translation project
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:27:31 pm »
I haven't decided how many or what cards to translate yet but I'm guessing I'll choose depending on what sounds interesting to translate. Here I'll start be posting the most common words that appear on cards to have somewhere to start to find translations.

Phases:
Plot
Draw - athfichari
Marshalling
Challenges
Dominance
Standing

Traits:
Dothraki - Dothraki
Lord
Ally
Weapon - vov
Creature - rhoa
Title
Condition
Queensguard
Knight
Army - Lajasar
Free Cities - Vaes Seris
The East - Titha
King - Khal
Queen - Khaleesi
Bastard
Mercenary
Unsullied

Keywords:
Renown - Athhakesozar
Stealth -
No attachments -
Setup -
Deadly - k'athdrivari
Immune to [] -

Other common words:
kneel - avvemo/avvemolat
stand -akkovari/akkovarat
attached
character -
kill - addrivi
discard -
strength - athhajar
military
intrigue
power
choose - okki
card -
ability -
effect -
pay - azhi
put into play -
play -
draw - fichi/fichat
triggered -
target -
opponent - dozgo
power -
deck - san

Some of these are straight forward while others will need a lot of creativity to come up with.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:04:27 pm by ingsve »
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:04:13 pm »
That'll be a heck of an undertaking. Good luck.

Do you intent to keep this going, filling the holes and fixing the awkward struktures, as we learn more, or is this more doing the best you can and then living with the results kind of project?
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:40:17 pm »
That'll be a heck of an undertaking. Good luck.

Do you intent to keep this going, filling the holes and fixing the awkward struktures, as we learn more, or is this more doing the best you can and then living with the results kind of project?

The ultimate goal is to translate the cards themselves into Dothraki in some type of image editor so when I get that far I would consider it a final version but there might be changes along the way before I reach that point.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 01:49:55 pm »
The furst problem has already appeared. The game uses two distinct traits, king and lord, that obviously have different meanings. From what we know however the Dothraki would most likely use the same word (Khal) when referring to both of these titles. So what to do? I guess it could fit to use the term ko to refer to a Lord since it sort of represents a similar power balance with Khal that exists between a King and a Lord. Another way could be to use some type of adjective modifier on Khal to distinquish a King from a Lord. Not sure what that would be yet though.

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 03:58:22 pm »
opponent - dozgosor
dozgosor has that group suffix. Maybe that's just perfect, but we might expect dozgo to mean more closely "opponent".

The game uses two distinct traits, king and lord, that obviously have different meanings. From what we know however the Dothraki would most likely use the same word (Khal) when referring to both of these titles. So what to do? I guess it could fit to use the term ko to refer to a Lord since it sort of represents a similar power balance with Khal that exists between a King and a Lord. Another way could be to use some type of adjective modifier on Khal to distinquish a King from a Lord. Not sure what that would be yet though.

Aye. Many ways to approach the problem. Dothaki know of other cultures. They fight against them, they trade with them and they take slaves from them. So there are probably some established words for the most prominent features of surrounding cultures. But maybe they do speak of foreign kings with khal (khal ifakay maybe?) - they at least jokularily speak of Viserys as one. If they heard of lords, rulers serving under a bigger ruler, my best guess would be they'd go for kingling, kinglette, khali. That word isn't reserved for princes, princesses or queens, so why not just "lil king".
I wouldn't go with ko. It's so specific, so leaden with connotations, that it would just feel wrong to me.
What I'd probably use is vichomerak. It's much less specific, but hits kinda close. And it makes sense even within dothrakis. Calling Drogo vichomerak makes much more sense than calling him khali or ko.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 04:17:22 pm »
opponent - dozgosor
dozgosor has that group suffix. Maybe that's just perfect, but we might expect dozgo to mean more closely "opponent".

Ya, I considered that but since we don't exactly know what the singular word means I went with the word that we do know for now.

The game uses two distinct traits, king and lord, that obviously have different meanings. From what we know however the Dothraki would most likely use the same word (Khal) when referring to both of these titles. So what to do? I guess it could fit to use the term ko to refer to a Lord since it sort of represents a similar power balance with Khal that exists between a King and a Lord. Another way could be to use some type of adjective modifier on Khal to distinquish a King from a Lord. Not sure what that would be yet though.

Aye. Many ways to approach the problem. Dothaki know of other cultures. They fight against them, they trade with them and they take slaves from them. So there are probably some established words for the most prominent features of surrounding cultures. But maybe they do speak of foreign kings with khal (khal ifakay maybe?) - they at least jokularily speak of Viserys as one. If they heard of lords, rulers serving under a bigger ruler, my best guess would be they'd go for kingling, kinglette, khali. That word isn't reserved for princes, princesses or queens, so why not just "lil king".
I wouldn't go with ko. It's so specific, so leaden with connotations, that it would just feel wrong to me.
What I'd probably use is vichomerak. It's much less specific, but hits kinda close. And it makes sense even within dothrakis. Calling Drogo vichomerak makes much more sense than calling him khali or ko.

Ya, I also thought about Khali but I don't like that it's so similar to Khal. It would look better if it was a more distinct word. Another way to solve it might be to simply use Khal in place of Lord and forget about King since it's only a few cards and only Viserys out of the cards related to the Dothraki that uses that word. It would feel a bit like a cop out if I did that however.

Vichomerak would be an alternative too. We have also had Erinak used for Lady in the dialogues so perhaps there is some other word that could work for Lord as well if we think of it more in terms of a gentleman rather than the title itself.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 03:43:18 pm »
I added a few more translations.

-I thought that san (pile, heap) was a good word to use for a deck. A deck would generally be more ordered or neat than a pile but it sort of fits anyway.

-To choose is rather straight forward, okkat. I've chosen to use the formal imperative since it's the game rules that are instructing and that seemed like a formal situation.

-For the word "pay" I thought it would be appropriate to use azhat (to give) since the Dothraki don't pay for things. The mechanic itself should still make sense since instead of "pay x to do y" it would simply be "give x to do y".