Author Topic: Hebrew Dothraki  (Read 6006 times)

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
Hebrew Dothraki
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:20:22 pm »
Once again I return with a new transliteration, and this time I got a challenge for myself! Time to force the Hebrew alphabet into a tight and uncomfortable box:

א - A
צ - Ch
ד - D
אֶ - E
פ - F
ג - G
ה - H
ח - Kh
אִ - I
די - J
כ - K
ל - L
מ - M
נ - N
אֹ - O
ק - Q
ר - R
ס - S
ש - Sh
ט - T
ת - Th
ב - V
ו - W
י - Y
ז - Z
זי - Zh

Some notes on my choices:
-vowel diacritics were an absolute necessity for dothraki, especially since Dothraki has the /e/ vowel that hebrew does not.
-It may be a little confusing, Chet and Khaf represent two sounds in dothraki, even if they represent the same sounds in Hebrew.  The distinction of the two is made in the roman spelling, with Chet representing the /ch/ sound and Khaf representing the /kh/ sound
- The /J/ and /Zh/ are written with /Dalet+Yod/ and /Zayin+Yod/, Making a sort of 'Dy' and 'Zy' sounds if read out of context
-I chose not to be nit picky about what form some of the characters are in (especially with Mem, Nun, Tzadei and Khaf), so really any form you want can work in hebrew dothraki
-Tav is used for the /th/ sound, the same as some Sefardi, Chassidic and Yemen dialects

Example sentences:

Hello, my friends. How are you today?
מ'אתצאֹמאראֹאֹנ, אֹךאֶאֹסאִ אננאִ. האש יאֶראִ דותראאֶ צאֶכ?
My arakh will lay beside your arakh.
אראח אננאִ אמאִתרא אראחאִ שאפכאִ.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:57:34 am by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
Re: Hebrew Dothraki
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:38:40 pm »
I kinda made a Hebrew transliteration for Dothraki too while working on Hebrew names for the Dothraki Bible translation! The only differences were I used צ for ch, since Dothraki doesn't the phoneme /ts/ and [ts] and [tʃ] are two phones that are often approximates for each other across languages; ח for kh; and ו for o and w since w is relatively rare in Dothraki and context will quickly clarify which phoneme ו represents in any given word.
Che vezak anha os che amovek - Hannibal Barca, ko Punik.

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
Re: Hebrew Dothraki
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:53:05 am »
The only differences were I used צ for ch, since Dothraki doesn't the phoneme /ts/ and [ts] and [tʃ] are two phones that are often approximates for each other across languages

Oh yeah, I forgot to use tzadei.
Ha!
In my first drafts of this I had used the tzadei for the /j/, but changed it later on for the prefered Dalet yod approach.  I'll actually change it so the /ch/ is represented by the /ts/ sound.

and ו for o and w since w is relatively rare in Dothraki and context will quickly clarify which phoneme ו represents in any given word.

Eh.  Since you could make the /o/ using vowel diacritics I think vav can be used for /w/ alone.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:59:26 am by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm