Author Topic: Help with English to Dothraki translation  (Read 5229 times)

alohomora713

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Help with English to Dothraki translation
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:31:39 am »
Hi Al!

Long time reader, first time poster!

I'm working for the Yes Equality campaign to help bring Marriage Equality to Ireland on May 22nd. There will be a public vote. I'm creating graphics for the campaign and want to capitalise on the upcoming S5 premiere of GOT in April and make a meme with the following translated into Dothraki:

“The opening up of civil marriage to two persons, without distinction as to their sex, is a matter of equality and human rights.”

I've been using some dictionaries and translators but several words don't seem to translate over perfectly. But I would be interested in getting as skilled Dothraki speaker to translate using the best possible words available. Essentially, I'd just like it to hold up to someone translating back into English.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Khal Esizigo

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Help with English to Dothraki translation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:05:31 am »
I'm only a beginner. Still very much learning. The book arrives tomorrow yay

However there's no one ever really active on here unfortunately.

From what I could tell though there would be no way to say this specific phrase without changing it significantly. There are just too many concepts the dothraki don't and wouldn't have a word for

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Help with English to Dothraki translation
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 01:21:24 pm »
This would be a good one for Qvaak. For sure 'Civil' and 'distinction' are two concepts that would have to be worked around.

And sorry for it being so quiet here. I, for one would be more active here. But since about the time of the debut of David's book, I have been swamped with contract engineering work That ties me up on weekends, when I would normally work on things Na'vi and Dothraki. As a result, projects for both languages have suffered. That work is slowly winding down, so by early summer, I should be more active here.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)