Author Topic: Translate please??  (Read 5675 times)

Lookaftermyheart

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Translate please??
« on: April 26, 2016, 06:19:08 pm »
Could someone please translate "Look after my heart. I have left it with you." ?

Adding a tattoo next to my other dothraki tattoos and would like the languages to match. Never done a translation before so I feel like a have a very very very rough translation of it and need some help! (I have quotes from the book already on me)

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
Re: Translate please??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 11:56:12 am »
Loshas zhoroon anni, haji anha vannevak mae ma yeroon.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:22:14 pm by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 07:07:19 pm »
Nobody else seems to be willing to help out right now, so you gotta do what you can while the road is rough.
My name means butt swarm

Kabenrein

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 07:37:17 pm »
I started learning dothraki for like a month but I'm experiecing difficulty. I wrote this down Affin yer laji, laji haji che drivoe but I don't know if it's right. What I meant to write was "when you fight, fight strongly or die. Could someone help me ?

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 09:02:20 pm »
M'ath, Voj dothraki sash!

You did very well for a brand new speaker! Of course there are a few mistakes, but that is to be expected and all apart of the learning process!

First of all, you wouldn't start your statement with Affin in Dothraki. In this language, you start each clause of the classic "(If/when) X happens, then (Y/or Z) will happen" sentence structure with the conjunction Hash. If you go onto the Dothraki dictionary and type in the words then or when, then you should see if...then;when...then show up in the search bar. Thankfully, David J Peterson kept it easy on us and left it up to one word!

Your only problem with conjugations were that you left it in the present tense, which was a problem I had a problem with too, and you didn't make strongly an adverb. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it eventually  ;)

Another error comes with the imperative mood, which would appear in the independent clause, because you are telling them to fight strongly. The problem usually comes when determening which one of the forms of imperative to use; the formal or informal. I'd say that you should use the formal, because it is obvious that whoever is doing the command does not care whether the person lives or dies at the end of the fight.

So, in total, your sentence would look more like this with proper Dothraki:
"Hash yer alaji, hash yer alaji k'athhajari che adrivo."

I'm trusting that you already know how the grammatical rules work, because I'm very tired and I don't feel like explaining them right now. Sorry! I should be all rested up tomorrow and will answer any questions you may have still. Arrekaan arrek, Anha eth remekak chek. Hajas!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:04:43 pm by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

Kabenrein

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 09:09:03 pm »
Thank you very much. I know most of grammatical rules, but it's still very difficult for me. But, again, thank you for your answer! I will keep on studying and trying. I'm very tired aswell so, we talk again tomorrow. Hajas!

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 08:09:28 am »
Ok, I'm all rested up and ready to explain the rules completely. I'll go through word by word explaining why it is said in this way, mainly because I am very bored at school and have nothing better to do  ;D

Hash- this is what is used to form the beginning of each clause for the structure of your sentence. This is known as one of the Adverbial clauses. The sentence structure "If Y happens, then X will happen" or "When Y happens, the X will happen" is what you use to build the Adverbial clause. I explained this last night, but it's good to review with a rested mind!

yer- this is the basic nominal form of you. No need to elaborate here.

alaji- this is the verb fight in the 2nd person singluar future tense. It is in the future tense because the person hasn't done it. This is very simple and I am confident that you already know all of this  :D

alaji- even though this word looks the same as the first alaji, there is a small but important detail; the second alaji is a command. The formal imperative mood adds an i to a verb that ends in a consonant, and leaves a verb that ends in a vowel the same. if you want someone to drink you would simply say Inde, and if you want someone to say something you would say Asti. This is applied to the word fight, because you are telling them to do something.

k'athhajari- this is a Manner adverb. This is the most difficult word in the sentence to describe. It is very difficult to try to teach, so I will leave it up to this website to do it for me; https://wiki.dothraki.org/Adverbs

che- this is the conjunction or, but you definitely know this.

adrivo()- I have explained conjugation and imperative mood already, but I want to show you that with the word for die, I added the () to show that it is in the imperative mood but no endings need to be added because the verb ends in a vowel.

So, your big, colorful sentence looks like this;
"Hash yer alaji, hash yer alaji k'athhajari che adrivo()."

I hope this all makes sense and that I will hear from you on Skype soon! Fonas chek!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:11:25 am by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm