Author Topic: Athchomar chomakea. Hake anne Jasati.  (Read 5219 times)

Jasi

• Koalakeesi
    • View Profile
Athchomar chomakea. Hake anne Jasati.
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:37:45 am »
Athchomar chomakea.  Hake anne Jasati.  Anha jasak hajinaan mezhilak erin asti.  Anha, zhey Jasati, atak nesolaan Dothraki.

Hello everyone; I know I probably made plenty of mistakes, but I hope I did okay for my first attempt (this is my first time learning a conlag).  I built my name using the examples David gave on his blog, instead of with the Wiki.  If I got this wrong... well, I hope I can still change it.  :P

I went with, "jasak" because I couldn't find a word in the English to Dothraki dictionary purely for laugh, and the rule in tutorial 1 to reduce a word to its base was to drop to be (at/lat).  I tagged, "-ak" at the end because I've noticed it tends to follow Anha (i.e. anha qiyak, anha sajak, etc.).  "me-" before zhilak because it follows hajinaan, and I couldn't find "to love something" so I chose "to love someone".  I used erin asti because asti seemed an acceptable root of astilat (or would it just be ast?).  That's the sentence I had the most difficulty with, and would greatly appreciate it if someone could come along and give me a play-by-play of what I've said.

"I was shooting for, "Respect to those that are respected.  My name is Jasati.  I am (laughter) because I love a good joke.  I, Jasati, will learn Dothraki."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:28:00 pm by Jasati »

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Athchomar chomakea. Hake anne Jasati.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:10:34 pm »
To begin with when forming names from verbs you generally drop the verb ending so a name from jasat (to laugh) would usually be jasi or jassi for females and jaso or jasso for males.

As for your translation attempt. "my" should be anni instead of anne. The -ak suffix appears in two different ways. As you had noticed it usually follows anha since that is the verb ending for first person singular (I). In this context Anha jasak means "I am laughing" or "I laugh". -ak is also the agentive suffix which transforms a verb into a person who performs that verb like the -er in English (to teach -> teacher). In this context Anha jasak means "I am a/the laugher" or "I am a/the laughing one". You need to repeat or state a subject after "because" it's not enough to just put the inflected verb. So it should be Anha jesak hajinaan m'anha zhilak... (meanha get's apostropheed to m'anha). Erin means "good" in the sense of an opposite to evil so it's more of a personal trait. A better word to use in this context would be davra. Also the adjective always comes after the noun so a good joke would be asti davra. You've needlessly complicated the final part. Anha atak... means "I will do..." and there is no need to use the verb "to do" in that sentence. Instead you just conjugate "to learn" directly. Furthermore this is a situation where another verb is used instead of nesolat. When speaking of languages one uses the verb shilat "to know (a person), to be familiar with" so the verb used here would be shilolat "to get to know". The sentence thus becomes Anha, zhey Jasati, ashilok lekhes Dothraki. Note that the word lekh (language) is in the accusative case. You always say "The Dothraki language" rather than just "Dothraki".
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:12:08 pm by ingsve »
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 01:29:07 pm »
Furthermore this is a situation where another verb is used instead of nesolat. When speaking of languages one uses the verb shilat "to know (a person), to be familiar with" so the verb used here would be shilolat "to get to know"
Hahh. This sudden activity is so fun. I just commented on this same shilat instead of nesat situation in the other thread.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Jasi

• Koalakeesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 01:39:35 pm »
Thanks for correcting me. :D  Here I was thinking I was awesome.  Still awesome, only slightly diminished.  8)

If I could change my username I would; instead I'll roll with Jasi for what people can see and gnash my teeth every time "Jasati" pops up.  It'll act as a reminder for where I come from when I've gotten better at Dothraki.  What's funny is that my name is Josie, so it works that way too.

Josie --> Jasi

Soooo... davra instead of erin.  I missed it below erin, but I can see what you mean in that it'd be better suited in there.

With your corrections it would be...

Athchomar chomakea.  Hake anni Jasi.  Anha jasak hajinaan m'anha zhilak asti davra.  Anha, zhey Jasati, ashilok lekhes Dothraki.

I understand why lekh would be necessary; I suppose if the Dothraki were explaining their language to someone else they'd need to differentiate between their people and their language.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:54:09 pm by Jasi »

Jasi

• Koalakeesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 01:40:14 pm »
Furthermore this is a situation where another verb is used instead of nesolat. When speaking of languages one uses the verb shilat "to know (a person), to be familiar with" so the verb used here would be shilolat "to get to know"
Hahh. This sudden activity is so fun. I just commented on this same shilat instead of nesat situation in the other thread.
lol It's probably my fault; I've posted more today than most people who've been registered for months.  ;D