Author Topic: Interpuncts in the vocabulary list  (Read 5163 times)

leoboiko

• pikībagtys
    • View Profile
    • Japanese Studies blog
Interpuncts in the vocabulary list
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:28:04 am »
I like interpuncts (·) to separate roots from inflections in my vocabularies.  Do you think this would be a feature worthy adding to the Wiki vocabulary page (even though it's possible to infer the root from other information)? (Mad Latinist, your opinion?)

The one downside I can think of is that it makes it a bit harder to ctrl+f for full words (though a bit easier to ctrl+f for inflected forms, as you can easily see that the root is matching).

If you guys think it's a good idea, I'd add them myself.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:41:16 am by leoboiko »

Mad Latinist

• Ābre se zaldrīzī bone ivāedan hen Essot jitte
    • View Profile
    • http://jdm314.livejournal.com/
Re: Interpuncts in the vocabulary list
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:23 pm »
I like interpuncts (·) to separate roots from inflections in my vocabularies.  Do you think this would be a feature worthy adding to the Wiki vocabulary page (even though it's possible to infer the root from other information)? (Mad Latinist, your opinion?)

The one downside I can think of is that it makes it a bit harder to ctrl+f for full words (though a bit easier to ctrl+f for inflected forms, as you can easily see that the root is matching).

If you guys think it's a good idea, I'd add them myself.
Hmm, I guess I'm somewhat against it. However, David J. Peterson himself uses that technique in his High Valyrian documentation, so clearly it's not all bad. Why don't we see what other Valyrianists think? (Only problem is, they don't check the forums much.. I'm only here myself because Qvaak summoned me!)

leoboiko

• pikībagtys
    • View Profile
    • Japanese Studies blog
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:21:28 am »
No it's ok, if you don't dig them, I don't want to make the page more clunky :) I already add the interpuncts to my flashcards, and that's good enough by me!

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 01:32:08 pm »
I'll have to look at this more closely, but I think I would not favor this, especially if the marker is a period. This is used elsewhere for syllabification. A dash would be more appropriate, I think. But in general, most words in the wiki shouldn't be inflected to begin with.

This will also be  a problem for a future dictionary. There are technical problems holding up the creation of a dictionary like we have for Dothraki.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Mad Latinist

• Ābre se zaldrīzī bone ivāedan hen Essot jitte
    • View Profile
    • http://jdm314.livejournal.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 12:40:22 pm »
Its not a period, it's a separate character: . = period, · = interpunct.

I was actually thinking, on the contrary, that it might be good for your version of the dictionary. But I don't know everything that goes into that.

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 12:34:53 am »
I have to agree here with Mad Latinist here, I'm against it and also it has the problem of not letting one find the whole words.
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey

joel

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 05:28:51 pm »
I agree, it would make searching near impossible and I don't really see the advantages. The gender/declension class is listed for almost all nouns, and the endings for verbs and adjectives are very regular. What additional information would interpuncts provide?