Author Topic: Vocabulary learrning screensaver  (Read 7558 times)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Vocabulary learrning screensaver
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:09:51 pm »
Announcing a new tool for learning Dothraki!

One really easy way to learn the vocabulary of a language is to have the words constantly flashed at you by your computer. This screensaver and desktop window program does just that for you. When using your computer, words are flashed at you in a box you can position on the screen. This box is always on top of whatever happens to be on the screen in that area. When not using your computer, a full-screen window flashes words at you. (The program also includes some beautiful pictures to go under the words. You can add your own pictures if you wish.) This software, called 'Virtual Teacher'. It is easy to use and easy to create new vocabulary for. (It includes tools for building new vocabulary.)

I have been using this tool to help learn Na'vi, and now I have created it for Dothraki.

The bad news? The program will cost you $20 (and I don't get anything for promoting it). But you can try it for 30 days without paying for it. I have found it is well worth the modest cost, and it has done more to boost my vocabulary than anything else.

This software, as far as I know, is for Windows platforms only.

This software can be downloaded here: http://vteacher.net/

I am currently maintaining the Dothraki-English vocabulary for this tool. I am looking for someone to do the English-Dothraki part, as I currently do not have time to do both. I try to update the vocabulary lists about once a month.

There are two sets of files available here. VTDB files are designed to to be plugged directly into Virtual Teacher without having to import from text. They are modifiable, but only with the program's tools. These files also contain notes that I have added to each file as I revise them. Text files are easy to edit, (and are updated pretty much every time I update the dictionary), but they must be imported into the program. This is simple to do, but you will probably need to do it a few times before you are comfortable with how it works. They also do not contain any explanatory notes, but you can add them during the import process.

01-20-2012 -  Everything updated to match Lajaki's Dictionary ver 3.022 (01-16-2012)
01-21-2013 -  Everything updated to match Lajaki's Dictionary ver 3.067 (01-21-2012)
The text files are almost always up to date. Hopefully, I will update the VTDB files more often than oce a year!

VTDB files (plug and play)

Basic vocabulary (includes proper nouns)
Dothraki-English_basic_vocabulary.VTDB
Base vocaabulary (does not include proper nouns)
Dothraki-English_base_vocabulary.VTDB

Text files (easiest to modify to your own needs)

Basic vocabulary (includes proper nouns)
Dothraki-English_basic_vocabulary.txt
Base vocaabulary (does not include proper nouns)
Dothraki-English_base_vocabulary.txt

If you are interested in the Na'vi version of the screensaver, the details can be found here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:39:53 pm by Hrakkar »
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Vocabulary learrning screensaver
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 03:13:02 am »
Sounds like a cool tool. Though I pretty much never log into my Windows boot anymore so I guess this isn't really for me.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Vocabulary learrning screensaver
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:29:47 pm »
I have been looking and looking for such a tool that:

For Windows, that is free (and preferably open source)
For Linux, if such a program exists at all.
For OS X, if such a program exists at all.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)