Author Topic: High Valyrian translation needed  (Read 7940 times)

khaleesi_sedai

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
High Valyrian translation needed
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:58:59 pm »
Hi.  I'm looking for a translation of "but we are not men" in High Valyrian.  Can anyone help? 

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: High Valyrian translation needed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 02:16:45 pm »
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

khaleesi_sedai

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 09:01:12 am »
Thank you!!! I was looking at the HV dictionary, though, and it says "we" translates to "ilvi".  I know NOTHING of Valyrian (I want the translation for embroidery purposes), so I was just wondering if there was a reason for using "soty".

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:00:53 pm »
If you look at David's "word for word" translation, “But men we are not,” you'll notice that it has five words while the Valyrian version has only four. The word the Valyrian version does not really have (as an independent word) is "we". Valyrian embeds a lot of information in how its words are inflected, and one thing embedded there is the person (ie. whether who does the doing is me, you, he/she/it, we, you or they). Many languages that do this won't usually repeat the information in separate pronoun. So it's really more "But men [we-are] not." You won't find soty on the vocab page, but if you'll look through http://wiki.dothraki.org/High_Valyrian_Verb_Conjugation, you'll notice it's a first person plural present subjunctive of sagon.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

khaleesi_sedai

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:45:02 am »
Cool. Thanks for your help!  I've been looking for this translation forever.   :D