Author Topic: What about the time?  (Read 5641 times)

Havazhyol

• Athdrivar vos annakhoo !
    • View Profile
What about the time?
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:51:51 am »
M'atchomaroon!

I've been wondering for some days now : there are words for year firesof and day asshekh but there are no words yet in Dothraki to speak about week, month,  or about the days of the weeks?

(I've been thinking about those two words, like fire ki jalani for month, and saccheya ki jalani for week...)

I'm back !!

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What about the time?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:45:46 am »
I bet there are... but we haven't been informed by David, think that he has a 3,000+ words lexicon in his possession.
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:04:21 pm »
http://www.dothraki.com/2012/01/and-a-happy-goat-year/
I’ve left uncreated words for things like “week”, “fortnight” and “month”, for the time being, since it seems like at least some of these might end up being borrowed from other languages, so those lexemes will have to remain mysterious for the time being

...month is natural enough that an expression for it should at least exist, but the concept of a week seems quite cultural, so there might not be any perfect match in Dothraki.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:08:44 pm by Qvaak »
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:07:22 pm »
Well, we don't really know how the Dothraki would divide time into chunks. It doesn't make sense for them to have a week since that has clear judeo-christian origins but they could perhaps have a month since they do have some focus on the moon. Then again the moon is already related to night so they might not put any significance on the month itself as a period of time. They might have completely different time scales that make more sense for them. Shorter time for example are related to horse riding and breathing.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:52:20 pm »
Well, we don't really know how the Dothraki would divide time into chunks. It doesn't make sense for them to have a week since that has clear judeo-christian origins but they could perhaps have a month since they do have some focus on the moon. Then again the moon is already related to night so they might not put any significance on the month itself as a period of time. They might have completely different time scales that make more sense for them. Shorter time for example are related to horse riding and breathing.

Well the seven-day week is actually quite common all around the ancient cultures. Just think that Babylonians, Chaldeans, Greeks and Romans had a seven-day week.
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 02:25:02 pm »
But I think only GRRM could answer this for sure. I am trying to think if I have seen a reference to 'week' in the books. It seems much of the GoT world is like medieval western Europe, except on a totally different world.

We also do not know how long the moon cycle is in that world, although there is talk of menstrual cycles being similar to moon cycles. That would pin a lunar period of 28 days, and one fourth of that, a 7 day week. That is, if the menstrual cycles there are 28 days as well (which they probably are)
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)