Author Topic: Dothraki dialogue from the TV series.  (Read 468657 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Dothraki dialogue from the TV series.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 08:23:36 pm »
Well, if you look at those sentences you'll see that lajakoon and dothrakhqoyoon is in the ablative case without some reason for it. My guess is that a bare ablative indicates the past as a way of getting around not using a copula.

Cool! Sounds like a good guess. Ablative would introduce a background-mode. That makes a lot of sense. Anha tokik - I'm a fool; Anha tokikoon - I've been a fool.

I would say that Anha tokikoon means "I was a fool". I don't know if there is a way to express perfect (have been) in Dothraki but I guess it would use an auxillary verb like in english.

As for why the complementizer is a prefix, that's anyones guess. One of the things David has said that he is being experimental with in Dothraki is morphology so it might just be an artistic choice by him.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 03:42:16 am »
I added some of the dialogue from episode 6 in the OP. Some of the dialogue will be hard to figure out since it is obstructed by other speech.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 11:59:02 pm »
Well, if you look at those sentences you'll see that lajakoon and dothrakhqoyoon is in the ablative case without some reason for it. My guess is that a bare ablative indicates the past as a way of getting around not using a copula.

David has confirmed that this is indeed the case. And it also works with the allative to express the future tense of being.

So we have:

X-NOM Y-NOM which means "X is Y"

X-NOM Y-ABL which means "X was Y"

X-NOM Y-ALL which means "X will be Y"

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 03:56:17 am »
Hehe, I'm currently making another video with the dialogue from episode 6 and it seems that Irri is psychic. She translates something to Drogo before Viserys even says it.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 06:06:57 am »
Here is the video with the Dothraki dialogue from episode 6:

The Dothraki Language - Episode 6 of Game of Thrones

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 07:22:03 am »
Meh, looks like HBO have decided to be annoying and have removed the video I made.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:08:05 am by ingsve »

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 03:26:42 pm »
The dialogue in the first post is now updated through episode 9, though only up to 2/3 into episode 7 is confirmed by David.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 04:05:10 pm »
That's all of the Dothraki transcribed. And a good thing too that there wasn't more since the first post reach the maximum allowed 20000 characters.

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 04:25:58 pm »
Whooooo! That's cool.

Now just to remove all the parentheses.... that might take some time.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 05:27:07 pm »
Whooooo! That's cool.

Now just to remove all the parentheses.... that might take some time.

Ya, with all the time that episode 7 has taken I think we're looking at something like 3-6 hours of chatting depending on how efficient we are.

ValekLost

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 01:58:40 am »
Sooner or later we will have all the dialogues updated and corrected!  8)
Btw, you've done a really GREAT work!
I think dialogues, after the chance to talk directly with David, are the most important thing to understand and improve syntax and grammar, so thank you for the devotion to duty  ;D

ValekLost

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 08:33:09 am »
Mago: Me Fati! Khaleesi vazha anhaan qorasokh anni, ch'anha afichak mae m'arakhoon anni! . Khaleesi will give me my spoil or I will take it with my arakh.

Now we have the verb "fatilat" = "to insult".
I think that "Me fati!" could be something like "She insulted/she's insulting (omissis) (fati seems to be the past tense of fatilat, so the first one could be more correct)!"
where (omissis) could sounds like uhm...".. (us)! (us=Dothraki as population)"  or in the easiest way "....(me)!"

could this be?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:35:38 am by ValekLost »

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 09:40:37 am »
Mago: Me Fati! Khaleesi vazha anhaan qorasokh anni, ch'anha afichak mae m'arakhoon anni! . Khaleesi will give me my spoil or I will take it with my arakh.

Now we have the verb "fatilat" = "to insult".
I think that "Me fati!" could be something like "She insulted/she's insulting (omissis) (fati seems to be the past tense of fatilat, so the first one could be more correct)!"
where (omissis) could sounds like uhm...".. (us)! (us=Dothraki as population)"  or in the easiest way "....(me)!"

could this be?

Well, the strange thing is that it's written as Me Fati! with a capital F in the subtitle files so that would indicate that it's some type of title or name. If it's suppose to be a sentence then it's missing an object I would say. It could be the past tense of fatilat but another posibility is that it's the imperative of fatat. Not sure what's more likely but either way it would be missing something.

ValekLost

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 11:34:43 am »
I thought to "fatat" too, but "to slap" sounds more complicate to insert, but, obviously, it could be.
Surely it's missing something.

But, I'm confused about the subtitle.
My episode doesn't have it O.o
The subtitles only appear when Drogo says "zhey jalan atthirari anni. [...]" of Dany.

There aren't subtitles when Rakharo stops Mago after the order of Dany, as well.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 12:37:37 pm »
I thought to "fatat" too, but "to slap" sounds more complicate to insert, but, obviously, it could be.
Surely it's missing something.

But, I'm confused about the subtitle.
My episode doesn't have it O.o
The subtitles only appear when Drogo says "zhey jalan atthirari anni. [...]" of Dany.

There aren't subtitles when Rakharo stops Mago after the order of Dany, as well.

Ya, it's not on the subtitles on the show itself. It's from closed caption subtitles originally provided for foreign language releases to translate subtitles into other languages. I get mine from here: http://www.thaisubtitle.com/manage/list.php?start=41&name=G . For Dothraki dialogue that isn't subtitled the captions gives transcribed Dothraki instead, provided by David. That's where I got the Me Fati! from.

Another option is that fati is the noun that fatat and fatilat derives from.