Author Topic: Conlanging the other ASoIaF languages  (Read 6628 times)

Adogs

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Conlanging the other ASoIaF languages
« on: August 14, 2012, 03:53:37 pm »
Hi everybody,

Not sure if this is really the place to post it, but for a bit of fun I've been having a play around with a "fan conlang" of the Giants' version of the Old Tongue, based on the small fragments in ADWD such as Wun Wun and Mag the Mighty's full names, and the Giant word for the Children of the Forest.

If anyone's interested, I can post a link to what I've written up.

I'd also love to get in touch with anyone who's had a play around with other languages like Valyrian or Ghiscari, I saw at least one message somewhere from somebody who'd been doing one or both of those.  Maybe there's a really hardcore conlanger out there who's put together their version of High Valyrian, then derived the vulgate daughter languages of the Free Cities...

Cheers! Adogs

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Conlanging the other ASoIaF languages
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 01:33:36 pm »
M'athchomaroon, zhey Adogs. Welcome to the Dothraki forums.

I think the place you might want to start your thread is under the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' forum.

There is some other work being done on the other identified languages in the ASOAIF series. But I don't think the giant's tongue has been mentioned by anybody. So, if this interestis you, you might just want to have a go at it.

BTW, this board is usually pretty quiet. But there are a couple of us who watch it regularly, and are there to help out new people.

You will find most of the current Dothraki information on the wiki. The dictionary is also up-to-date, and I try to keep it that way.

Last, but not least, consider joining us for our weekly IRC chat, on Monday evenings at 7 PM Pacific time. Dothraki creator David Peterson often joins us, and it is always an interesting discussion!

Enjoy Dothraki!
Fonas chek,
Hrakkar
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Adogs

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:40:12 am »
Thanks mate, I'll work on learning some Dothraki while I'm at it!

I'll put a note on the ASoIaF forum, but in the meantime, I'll try and catch you on IRC - excuse me being a noob, but how does one going about getting on said IRC?  I'm in Australia, so 7pm Pacific will place me at work on Tuesday, being that Australia's located in the future and all.  But I'll see if I can manage it.

Cheers, Adogs.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:37:48 am »
Thanks mate, I'll work on learning some Dothraki while I'm at it!

I'll put a note on the ASoIaF forum, but in the meantime, I'll try and catch you on IRC - excuse me being a noob, but how does one going about getting on said IRC?  I'm in Australia, so 7pm Pacific will place me at work on Tuesday, being that Australia's located in the future and all.  But I'll see if I can manage it.

Cheers, Adogs.

There are a lot of various IRC clients to download. One classic example is mIRC for example. I don't know which clients are used most nowadays though. Personally I use a Firefox add-on called Chatzilla.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:11:58 am »
If you wish you can post here as well since people that happen to stop by here are probably more interested in conlanging than your average ASoIaF forum poster. There can sometimes be a tendency to think that conlanging is too geeky even for them and that's coming from people who like a fantasy world enough to frequent a dedicated forum for it.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Adogs

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:36:55 pm »
Cheers guys, I'll get an IRC plugin and see if I can get online when you're all there.

To be fair, conlanging "is" pretty geeky.  But still, I've never slept out overnight in front of a cinema dressed as an Ent or Klingon or what have you, nor do I make chainmail and go to reenactment fairs etc, so I figure the hardcore fantasy fans are still nerdier than most of the linguists are.

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 04:37:50 pm »
Cheers guys, I'll get an IRC plugin and see if I can get online when you're all there.

To be fair, conlanging "is" pretty geeky.  But still, I've never slept out overnight in front of a cinema dressed as an Ent or Klingon or what have you, nor do I make chainmail and go to reenactment fairs etc, so I figure the hardcore fantasy fans are still nerdier than most of the linguists are.

I'm with you on that last note, my friend. Myself I did toy around with my own version of Valyrian, and I'd be quite interested in contacting you. Do you have an e-mail, or messenger you use frequently?
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey