Author Topic: Numbers  (Read 11706 times)

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
Numbers
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:40:34 pm »
I was just reading over the number system.
How is the number 20 "chakat" formed?
Following the pattern 21 would be "atchakat", 22 "akatchakat"... 29 "qazatchakat"?
How about for 30, 40, 50 ...90?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:18:41 pm »
I was just reading over the number system.
How is the number 20 "chakat" formed?
Following the pattern 21 would be "atchakat", 22 "akatchakat"... 29 "qazatchakat"?
How about for 30, 40, 50 ...90?

The answer is we don't know. The only number higher than 20 we know is 2011 which is akat dalen m'atthi which is said as "two thousand and eleven". Some languages say 21 as "one and twenty" while others simply say "twentyone". Which way it is in Dothraki we don't know.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:21:23 am »
A really good topic to add to the list of topics for DP to address in his blog. And timely as well, as I have caught myself up on enough dictionary stuff to start 'de na'vifying' the number table!
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 02:42:47 am »
A really good topic to add to the list of topics for DP to address in his blog. And timely as well, as I have caught myself up on enough dictionary stuff to start 'de na'vifying' the number table!

Ya, I had "More on numbers" in my first list of Blog topics.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:10:04 pm »
Hrakkar since this is a post that would be good to locate in the DP thread, can anyone with admin privileges, move it to that thread rather than re-posting? I would but I can't. :)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 12:09:39 am »
It is already in the DP thread. It just isn't under the major or minor topics thread. I think that this thread is fine, as the major/minor topic threads are for posting a topic only. It says right in the instructions to carry on any further discussion in a new thread.

Also, although I post a lot here, and work on the dictionary, I do not have administrator priveliges here.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 12:29:05 am »
It is already in the DP thread. It just isn't under the major or minor topics thread. I think that this thread is fine, as the major/minor topic threads are for posting a topic only. It says right in the instructions to carry on any further discussion in a new thread.

Also, although I post a lot here, and work on the dictionary, I do not have administrator priveliges here.

It's in the DP thread because I moved it here...