Author Topic: I have some doubts  (Read 4735 times)

Vezhof

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
I have some doubts
« on: February 16, 2016, 04:56:29 am »
Hi all! first of all I would like to apologize for my English is not my native language . I took a few days Dothraki tried to learn on my own and with the help of the resources of the web . Trying to translate phrases televison series of HBO and I have a couple of questions I would be grateful if you can clarify.

1 This must not be - Jini'th vos eo: "Jini" means "This" why appears the suffix ´th? and what means "eo"? i cant find it in the dictionary

2 In the 6th season teaser: you are nobody - Yer Vorsakh: "vorsakh" means "flame" why here it´s use as "nobody"?

2.5 the millionth of your name - yorak ma hake som yeri: well, here if i translate literally: Yorak (millionth) ma (with) hake (name) som (missing) yeri (you), the speaker referred to her name (targaryen) as "som" , he means that no longer means anything that is worthless? Why they has been translated as : the millionth of your name? it must be: the millionth of your missing name?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:59:04 am by Vezhof »

Alizia

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: I have some doubts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:56:56 am »
M'athchomaroon, Zhey Vezhof !

I don't know for 2 and 2.5 but eo is present negative form of elat (to go).

What's your native language ?

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
Re: I have some doubts
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:16:56 am »
m'ath, zhey vezhof! I can help you with your questions, and I will try to write it easy  :)

1) the 'th is not a suffix, it is a word, eth, which means must. You contract it with the Jini, because it is easier to say Jini'th than to say Jini eth. You see the same thing happen in M'athchomaroon, where that word is easier to say than Ma athchomaroon.

2) This is an idiom; a saying that does not make sense when translated into another language. In dothraki, when you call someone a flame, that means the same as calling them nobody. It is confusing sometimes, but you will learn soon  ;)

3) Som in dothraki means none, so they are telling someone that no one else has their name.

I hope I answered any questions you had!
My name means butt swarm