Author Topic: Texts for the CNN thing.  (Read 16347 times)

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
Re: Texts for the CNN thing.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 08:46:36 pm »
I sent an email earlier on what we had so far to get some input from David.

Some things he mentioned were minor spelling, but for now I will post the couple critical things that need to be tightened up.

1)    David Peterson made something incredible. He has created a very real language for a mythical people, and by incorporating culture, as well as grammar, it makes it seem, they actually might have existed….at some time, somewhere, someplace.

We had:
Devidi Peterson move vekhikh ma vezhvena ma kima. Me move lekhes sekke tawaka ha vojea ido. Majin kash lekh ee vi osaan atthirari jin voji, kash anha dirgak mevoji ish vekhi.

(I asked about the "dream people too)

DP's response:
I'm not sure why "kima" is used here... It means "original", but that doesn't appear in your translation. I see what you mean about using "fake". Hmm... Perhaps use some other adjective like "strong" (haji)? Change "vekhi" to "vekhish". I'm not sure what the part before the comma is supposed to mean... I'm getting, "And while the language goes through the life path are these people"?

2) My favorite "Game of Thrones" phrase in Dothraki is "Anha vosoon avvos. Anha qoy zhavvorsi," because even if everyone is not blood of the dragon, everyone is someone.  Everyone is special.

We were at: 
Anha astak astezhor Dothraki haji Vilajerosh Adori ki: "Anha vosoon avvos. Anha qoy zhavvorsi," ma me astezhori hajinaan m'eyak vos qoy zhavvorsi, vosma eyak voj. Eyak davrae k'athesinazari.

DP's response:
I'd say "me vos eyak qoy zhavvorsi". Not sure what's meant by "athesinazar"... Everyone is "differently" useful? If so, that's pretty clever!

Zhey ingsve, I did get the word "astezhori" in a sentence but not an explanation for it. Just the sentence. :) It's great you confirmed the meaning with DP.

Maybe we can get a word for "special" :) Or for "Everyone is special, " how about "Everyone is a unique gift." Eyak voj azh esina. ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:53:48 pm by Daenerys »

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 12:21:38 am »
What is the timeline on this, as the work project here is running into trouble?
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 04:07:23 am »
David provided the translation of "with the incorporation of culture" if we want to directly translate what Daenerys first wrote.

M'athammerazaroon oskimikhi...

"With the incorporation of culture..."

K'athammerazari oskimikhi...

"By the incorporation of culture..."

He also confirmed that my construction of "voji atthiraridi" is correct as a translation of "dream people".
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:12:04 am by ingsve »
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 11:24:52 am »
So how is this:
Devidi Peterson move vekhikh vezhvena. Me move lekhes sekke tawaka ha vojea atthiraridi. K'athammerazari oskimikhi, kash anha dirgak mevoji ish vekhish.  ?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 12:57:44 pm »
So how is this:
Devidi Peterson move vekhikh vezhvena. Me move lekhes sekke tawaka ha vojea atthiraridi. K'athammerazari oskimikhi, kash anha dirgak mevoji ish vekhish.  ?

Yes, that works though I think there should be a kash before K'athammerazari as well because of how that type of word works.

And I think you can safely add ma kima since that just adds to the sentence. David was just confused by it since it wasn't in your English version but I think it's a good word to add.

Also there shouldn't be an -i on Devid. It was Devidi in the earlier sentence since the name was in the genitive case.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 04:12:48 pm »
So then:

Devid Peterson move vekhikh vezhvena ma kimi. Me move lekhes sekke tawaka ha vojea atthiraridi. Kash k'athammerazari oskimikhi, kash anha dirgak mevoji ish vekhish. 
?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:51 pm »
Kima instead of kimi and then it's fine.

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 11:16:41 am »
Ok kinda big question.

Been practicing my script.

Was just listening to the the quote I am using
"Anha vosoon avvos. Anha qoy zhavvorsi"
in Ep. 9. But what I am hearing in the episode is:
"Anha vos "zavek" Anha qoy zhavvorsi"

?!

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »
Ok kinda big question.

Been practicing my script.

Was just listening to the the quote I am using
"Anha vosoon avvos. Anha qoy zhavvorsi"
in Ep. 9. But what I am hearing in the episode is:
"Anha vos "zavek" Anha qoy zhavvorsi"

?!

Yes, that's what she's saying but that is apparently a mistake by Emilia Clarke. I had written the same in my transcription and David corrected it to Anha vosoon avvos which makes sense since that would indeed  translate as "I was never nothing".

Lajaki

• Administrator
  • We all swore oaths.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 06:56:12 pm »
I'm guessing this is the same thing I got emailed about a bit ago. I was going to post it here just now - basically, they want videos of fans speaking. Sound about right? CNN was also interested in getting people together in NY or LA - I don't know how possible that is for the people here, it certainly isn't for me.

I think I'll be recording a piece, too. Are we all going to be using the text above?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 07:41:31 pm »
I'm guessing this is the same thing I got emailed about a bit ago. I was going to post it here just now - basically, they want videos of fans speaking. Sound about right? CNN was also interested in getting people together in NY or LA - I don't know how possible that is for the people here, it certainly isn't for me.

I think I'll be recording a piece, too. Are we all going to be using the text above?

No, that is just Daenerys text that she wanted help with. Though I guess it's possible to use parts of it anyway but the idea is for people to record whatever they like.

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 07:55:04 am »
Back home, more or less. How did the recording go? What was the full final text you used, Daenerys?
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »
Welcome back, zhey Qvaak.  The recordings are done!  Can send you, ingsve and Hrakkar the full text, but they shouldn't be published on line until after the airing since everything sent to them becomes their intellectual property and it would give away some of what they will be showing. :)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 09:44:09 pm »
I finally hope to record mine tomorrow!
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile