Author Topic: m’athchomaroon  (Read 7761 times)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
m’athchomaroon
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:57:07 am »
Hello everyone on this new list. Some of you might know me from Learnnavi, where I go by the name of `Eylan Ayfalulukanä. As I see it, any language that has, among its first 100 words, a word for 'lion' (let alone 'white lion') is a language worth learning!  (I am a total lion nut, and a real-life lionkeeper.)

I don't plan to be real active here (lots of work to do on Na`vi first!), but do plan to check on things periodically as I have time, and a chance to read the books.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: m’athchomaroon
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:25:06 pm »
Welcome. I'm sure you know some of the other Na'vi speakers that are here as well.

The word hrakka is one of only 30-something words that originate in the books itself so it is even more official than most other words you'll see.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 02:06:43 am »
Thank you for the warm welcome. In poking around the site, it looks like I have picked a great time to join.

Will be taking a trip by train next month. That might be an excellent time to read  ASOIAF. In the meantime, I need to go back to the wikw, etc. and familiarize myself with what there is of phonotactics, grammar and syntax. I am by no means a linguist, but have picked up a fair amount of it from learning  Na`vi.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 02:37:34 am »
Thank you for the warm welcome. In poking around the site, it looks like I have picked a great time to join.

Will be taking a trip by train next month. That might be an excellent time to read  ASOIAF. In the meantime, I need to go back to the wikw, etc. and familiarize myself with what there is of phonotactics, grammar and syntax. I am by no means a linguist, but have picked up a fair amount of it from learning  Na`vi.

Ya, I'm not a linguist either so I'm also picking things up as I go along. Thankfully we have Lajaki/Taronyu here that is a linguist and of course we have great contact with David Peterson himself.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Lajaki

• Administrator
  • We all swore oaths.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 08:46:55 am »
Welcome, Hrakka! Can't think of a better name for you to pick, ha.

Hope your lions are doing well. :)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 01:21:45 am »
Welcome, Hrakka! Can't think of a better name for you to pick, ha.

Hope your lions are doing well. :)

The lions, etc. are doing quite well. Kenya has been mating with Serena as of late, that could mean early summer cubs!

Question: Is the r in Hrakka flipped or trilled?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 05:39:26 am »
The lions, etc. are doing quite well. Kenya has been mating with Serena as of late, that could mean early summer cubs!

It's a flap I think. The trill is generally for r's that are in the beginning and then end of words.

Verak

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:35:11 pm »

It's a flap I think. The trill is generally for r's that are in the beginning and then end of words.

OH! Cubs!! Please take lots of photos if/when that happens (and post them)!!

I find it very hard to flap /ɾ/ following the breath of the /h/.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 12:56:46 am »
I most certainly will, when it happens. There is also a chance that I might get to raise one!

I find that the flipped R (if I am doing it right) is pretty easy in Hrakka. The trilled R is a lot harder and doesn't sound as nice.  Perhaps we can talk about this the next time we go over Na`vi lessons (which I hope is soon!).

Verak

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 10:44:14 am »
I most certainly will, when it happens. There is also a chance that I might get to raise one!

I find that the flipped R (if I am doing it right) is pretty easy in Hrakka. The trilled R is a lot harder and doesn't sound as nice.  Perhaps we can talk about this the next time we go over Na`vi lessons (which I hope is soon!).

For me, a flap r is so short that there is barely any time to add/include the breath.

<aside>
I'll be back from the East Coast time zone next Sunday, but busy with work until the 13th. We can certainly target meeting soon after that.
</aside>