Author Topic: The dothraki language wiki site.  (Read 32982 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
The dothraki language wiki site.
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:28:01 pm »
This forum is just a temporary place to collect various information about the dothraki language. Everything posted here or otherwise found will be added to the dothraki language wikipage that can be found at wiki.dothraki.org.

That is the place to find more structured entries about the various grammatical topics. The wiki is under constant construction so if the information you are looking for isn't there already you can just check back regularly or why not help to build the wiki yourself.

Also make sure to visit @learndothraki on Twitter and why not stop by for a chat on the IRC: irc.dothraki.org/dothraki
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:26:24 pm by ingsve »
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: The dothraki language wiki site.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:47:35 pm »
People were asking for a place to go to learn Dothraki so I have started a page on the wiki that is meant to serve as a starting hub that links to all the various other pages. http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Learningdothraki

If anyone adds a page with some type of content, make sure to also add a link at this page so people can find it easily.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:09:51 pm »
People were asking for a place to go to learn Dothraki so I have started a page on the wiki that is meant to serve as a starting hub that links to all the various other pages. http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Learningdothraki
This is really good improvement. I have been meaning to ask for many little improvements and I think this dealt with all the most important ones. It seems a whole lot of grammar pages are getting updated too. Looks great.

One suggestion comes to mind browsing through new and updated pages: How about having, at each page where relevant, maybe before the references, a section Thing We Don't Know Yet? That would be much clearer than just dropping notes and implications. I feel communicating, what is not known is quite important and we should not shy from admitting our occasional ignorance.

Plural nominative for animate nouns? Cases for other pronouns than personal?
I don't know much about what we don't know, but I'm sure there are still unknowns at the most areas.

Oh, and should these discussions migrate to the wiki? I feel more at ease commenting here, but the wiki does have those discussion pages.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:11:18 pm »
This is really good improvement. I have been meaning to ask for many little improvements and I think this dealt with all the most important ones. It seems a whole lot of grammar pages are getting updated too. Looks great.

One suggestion comes to mind browsing through new and updated pages: How about having, at each page where relevant, maybe before the references, a section Thing We Don't Know Yet? That would be much clearer than just dropping notes and implications. I feel communicating, what is not known is quite important and we should not shy from admitting our occasional ignorance.

Plural nominative for animate nouns? Cases for other pronouns than personal?
I don't know much about what we don't know, but I'm sure there are still unknowns at the most areas.

Oh, and should these discussions migrate to the wiki? I feel more at ease commenting here, but the wiki does have those discussion pages.

Ya, having mentions about what we don't know is a good idea but at the moment I'm still in the process of adding things we do know so I'd rather spend time on that than writing things we don't know. But that's a good thing to add when there is no more known things to add. I do have a mental note of things that need to be fleshed out more with David for example. I think I'll start a post here where we can list things that needs to be asked.

And I think keeping the discussing here is good. I'm more of a forum person and it's easy to see when people have posted etc. I'm not too familiar with the wiki discussion pages.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 02:34:02 pm »
I've started creating a tutorial for learning Dothraki on the wiki now but since I'm not that much of a writer there are probably things that can be changed to explain things in a better way so everyone should feel free to go ahead and change things if you feel you have a better way of explaining things.

http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Tutorial_1

ValekLost

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 03:47:18 am »
I've corrected this part in the Wiki, about verb conjugation:

For verbs that begin with a vowel the prefix /a-/ is added and for verbs that begin with a vowel the prefix is instead /v-/.

With

For verbs that begin with a consonant the prefix /a-/ is added and for verbs that begin with a vowel the prefix is instead /v-/.

;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:06:05 am by ValekLost »

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 03:50:51 am »
Nice catch. Thanks.

ValekLost

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 02:22:50 am »
Example: Hrazef vezh. "The horse is a stallion" (literally "horse steed")
Example: Hrazef vezhoon. "The horse was a stallion" (literally "horse from steed")
Example: Hrazef vezhaan. "The horse will be a stallion" (literally "horse towards steed")

I was wondering if it would be better to change "steed" with "stallion", in the syntax page, given that "steed" is "sajo" and not "vezh" that is literally, in fact, the stallion as "male horse".
It's a very little thing, but I think it would be more precise, unless I'm missing something about meanings <.<

If it's ok, I'll correct :D

In the Idiom section, in the wiki, shoud be added "adoroon shiqethi" (iron chair) for "throne" and "rhaggat eveth" (water cart) for "ship" ?

Last thing, I swear :P

Reading the dialogues, I noticed that "Kash qoy qoyi thira disse" is said in various moments. Could it be a sort of idiomatic phrase to say something beyond the literal meaning?
Qotho said it while talking with Jorah about the future death of Drogo and it would be quite literal I think..but the "random dothraki" in episode 3, said it to the slave he was whipping, and Rakharo said it to Mago while trying to stop him from abusing the Lazhareen women, as asked by Dany.
Could be a sort of "I can do this until my Khal lives" as "I've the power to do this and you have to shut up/to do what I say you have to do"?  :o
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:56:07 am by ValekLost »

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 04:12:44 am »
Example: Hrazef vezh. "The horse is a stallion" (literally "horse steed")
Example: Hrazef vezhoon. "The horse was a stallion" (literally "horse from steed")
Example: Hrazef vezhaan. "The horse will be a stallion" (literally "horse towards steed")

I was wondering if it would be better to change "steed" with "stallion", in the syntax page, given that "steed" is "sajo" and not "vezh" that is literally, in fact, the stallion as "male horse".
It's a very little thing, but I think it would be more precise, unless I'm missing something about meanings <.<

If it's ok, I'll correct :D

In the Idiom section, in the wiki, shoud be added "adoroon shiqethi" (iron chair) for "throne" and "rhaggat eveth" (water cart) for "ship" ?

Last thing, I swear :P

Reading the dialogues, I noticed that "Kash qoy qoyi thira disse" is said in various moments. Could it be a sort of idiomatic phrase to say something beyond the literal meaning?
Qotho said it while talking with Jorah about the future death of Drogo and it would be quite literal I think..but the "random dothraki" in episode 3, said it to the slave he was whipping, and Rakharo said it to Mago while trying to stop him from abusing the Lazhareen women, as asked by Dany.
Could be a sort of "I can do this until my Khal lives" as "I've the power to do this and you have to shut up/to do what I say you have to do"?  :o

Ya, stallion is the correct word. It's probably just a mistake by whoever wrote those passages.

It should only be "ador shiqethi" unless you have it in the ablative for some reason. I think you took that from a sentence with zigerelat right? That's the "source verb class" that gives the ablative in that case. Sort of like "The source of my need is an iron chair". But yes, those and others should be added to the idioms.

Kash qoy qoyi thira disse was a phrase that the producers lifted from when Qotho says it and gave it to some random people, probably because they thought it sounded cool. It wasn't written to specifically be used in this way. David even said that it makes little sense the way it is used. I guess we could have David give it a meaning as a backformation though.

ValekLost

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:31:54 am »

Yes, it's from one of the dialogues, but I was in hurry and I didn't think about remove the ablative XD

Kash qoy qoyi thira disse was a phrase that the producers lifted from when Qotho says it and gave it to some random people, probably because they thought it sounded cool.

Uh. Ok, in this way it makes sense :D
I was unable to understand the meaning of saying that in the other situations.
In my opinion to give a meaning to others uses of the phrase would be interesting, because.. regardless of the fact that it has been a free initiative of the producers...it has been said in other moments, without the original meaning.
Like "dozgosor".

I guess we could have David give it a meaning as a backformation though.
If David likes the idea, why not  ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:38:35 am by ValekLost »

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 04:15:17 pm »
Kash qoy qoyi thira disse was a phrase that the producers lifted from when Qotho says it and gave it to some random people, probably because they thought it sounded cool.
Oh. I, too, had wondered about that. A conundrum, alright. All the uses have an air of an apparent threat, and maybe also specifically of people restraining themselves from (serious) violence. Maybe something like
"(I'd effin' kill you, but) as long as the blood of my blood lives (we're on a same team and serve the same goals, so I'll let you off easy.)"

In the Idiom section, in the wiki, shoud be added "ador[..] shiqethi" (iron chair) for "throne"
Idiom .. throne? Are you sure?
Is there some external information suggesting all thrones are referred to with ador shiqethi? If not, I'm not even sure, if I would call ador shiqethi for "Iron Throne" an idiom, but I guess that's just nitpicking. More stuff on the wiki does not hurt.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 04:33:41 pm »
In the Idiom section, in the wiki, shoud be added "ador[..] shiqethi" (iron chair) for "throne"
Idiom .. throne? Are you sure?
Is there some external information suggesting all thrones are referred to with ador shiqethi? If not, I'm not even sure, if I would call ador shiqethi for "Iron Throne" an idiom, but I guess that's just nitpicking. More stuff on the wiki does not hurt.

Ya, that's true. Drogo says iron chair (ador shiqethi) and Daenerys tries to explain that it's more than a chair but there is no word for throne so she says the whole thing about a chair for a Khal to sit on. So I guess it's not really an idiom even for Iron Throne. I would simply call it a phrase to circumvent not having a word which is something different than an idiom.

ValekLost

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »
Uhm..I've to agree with Qvaak too.
I've modified again the wiki, removing it  :P
In this way, I've the doubt that also "ship" is not an idiom, but a way to say something that does not exist in that language.

But "rhagghat eveth" is maybe of more common use, as "shor tawakof".

Ador shiqethi at the end is really used only (?) in that scene, between Dany and Drogo, in the way you just said.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 01:43:15 am »
Uhm..I've to agree with Qvaak too.
I've modified again the wiki, removing it  :P
In this way, I've the doubt that also "ship" is not an idiom, but a way to say something that does not exist in that language.

But "rhagghat eveth" is maybe of more common use, as "shor tawakof".

Ador shiqethi at the end is really used only (?) in that scene, between Dany and Drogo, in the way you just said.

Well, ships is more likely things that they do know about and see from time to time when they get near the coast so that is probably more of an idiom.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 11:54:00 am »
There seems to be some internal error with the Wiki. Is anyone else experiencing that?