Author Topic: The Dictionary Thread  (Read 63485 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: The Dictionary Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2012, 08:49:31 am »
Talking about the dothraki wiki and all... I have a question... how did you do it? I mean, it's not a wikia project, how do I have to do to make a wiki? I wanted to make one about a Saga of books in Spanish, but I don't know how.

I'm not really sure. I wasn't here when the wiki was set up. It's says the wiki is powered by http://www.mediawiki.org so I would check there perhaps. I'm guessing it's something installed on the server that hosts the wiki.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:51:18 am by ingsve »
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:11 am »
Oh, so I need to have a server too?
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2012, 10:32:41 am »
Oh, so I need to have a server too?

Ya, I would think so. This site is hosted on a Learn Na'vi server I believe.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ezok

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2012, 03:25:06 pm »
So, uh... Who's updating the dictionary now? 'Cause I think we've had some new words since 2 April, haven't we?

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2012, 04:29:48 pm »
So, uh... Who's updating the dictionary now? 'Cause I think we've had some new words since 2 April, haven't we?

It's still Hrakkar but the dictionary is currently affected by a change of servers because the guy that currently hosts the program that generates the dictionary is shutting down the server so they are working on switching it to a new host. In the meantime you can check the vocabulary on the wiki which is almost up to date except for the words from the latest episode.

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2012, 07:30:46 pm »
Any news in the dothraki wiki word by word development?

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2012, 01:51:00 am »
I am currently working on updating the dictionary. Unfortunately, this thing called a 'job' keeps getting in the way. I hope that I will have time tomorrow night to finish the update. Once this big update is complete, I should be able to get back to the weekly updates I was doing prior to the server change.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2012, 01:22:00 am »
UPDATE: Version 3.040 of the dictionary is out in test mode (ran out of time to proofread this evening, but should be accurate for the moment). I should have the proofread finished sometime Saturday evening. New vocabulary added to the wiki this week should be added by Saturday or Sunday evening.

There were some interesting technical problems this week trying to get everything to fully work after the moving of the dictionary backend. But with Lajaki and Tuiq's help, the cause of the problem was found and corrected. Please take a look at the dictionary as a whole when you download it, and let me know if there are any further issues with it. (so besides learning Dothraki and Na'vi, I am learning LaTeX!)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2012, 01:08:39 am »
athdavrazar!! I finally have the dictionary fixed, updated and back on line. The current version is 3.051, and is current to all wiki updates through June 22nd, 2012. Besides the two new words added between 3.050 and 3.051, you may see some other very minor differences, that should not change any meanings, etc. If you see something different or incorrect that is more than 'very trivial', please let me know so I can correct. Barring any further server moves or server crashes (read: the server literally crashed-- it was dropped, which destroyed both of the mirrored hard drives), the dictionary should now stay more up to date.

Its amazing what an underscore in the wrong place will do to LaTeX!! ;)

Thank you for your patience!

lykeion

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2012, 07:29:18 am »
Hi!
Yeah I'm as new here as you can be BUT I've been thinking about something a couple of days now and thougt I should ask you about it.

I'm not only new here at dothraki.org but also to the language and I'm only starting to learn. I only know a few words and a couple of expressions right now but I'm studying! Anyway, so some time ago I wanted to check a word and thought that I once saw something about a dictionary. And I was right, there was one here, so I started looking for the word just to realize that the dictionary is dothraki-english. Wouldn't it be awesome if it also existed as an english-dothraki version?
As I'm new here I don't know if this has been discussed already but it was just a thought I had. I know it would help me and probably many others that wants to learn the language. I thought about restructuring it only for myself to help me in my studies but then I thought about it and that I should talk to you.
I'd be glad to help if it doesn't exist because no one has the time to do it right now btw.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2012, 10:53:29 am »
Hi!
Yeah I'm as new here as you can be BUT I've been thinking about something a couple of days now and thougt I should ask you about it.

I'm not only new here at dothraki.org but also to the language and I'm only starting to learn. I only know a few words and a couple of expressions right now but I'm studying! Anyway, so some time ago I wanted to check a word and thought that I once saw something about a dictionary. And I was right, there was one here, so I started looking for the word just to realize that the dictionary is dothraki-english. Wouldn't it be awesome if it also existed as an english-dothraki version?
As I'm new here I don't know if this has been discussed already but it was just a thought I had. I know it would help me and probably many others that wants to learn the language. I thought about restructuring it only for myself to help me in my studies but then I thought about it and that I should talk to you.
I'd be glad to help if it doesn't exist because no one has the time to do it right now btw.

There already is one: http://docs.dothraki.org/ikarhtoD.pdf

It's not completely optimized as an English to Dothraki dictionary since it's just a reversal of the words that are put into the Dothraki dictionary but it's better than nothing.

Also don't miss the Vocabulary on the wiki since that can sometimes be further updated than the dictionary depending on how recently Hrakkar has had time to update the Dictionary.

http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Vocabulary

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2012, 02:04:22 pm »
I think lykeion (BTW, welcome!) missed the English-Dothraki dictionary because the only place where it is listed as available is on page 1 of this thread. Perhaps a link could be added on the website homepage.

And as Ingsve said, the English-Dothraki dictionary is not as well-formatted, as it is automatically generated (by some rather convoluted code) from the Dothraki-English version. One other interesting thing that happens in the English-Dothraki dictionary is that a large percentage of the verbs end up under T in English, as the infinitive form of the verbs ('to verb') is the lexical form of Dothraki verbs. If you find anything really strange in there, please let me know about it on this thread.

The dictionaries are fully searchable, both in English and in Dothraki. Your best bet is to search for English terms in the Dothraki-English dictionary, and use the English-Dothraki dictionary for words that are challenging to search for in the Dothraki-English dictionary.

The wiki is supposed to be more authoritative in terms of vocabulary, but it is not as searchable, and it is certainly not very portable or printable. The English dictionaries are also the base from  which translations into other languages can be built. There are tools available to make it easy for a non-English speaker to easily maintain a version of the dictionary in their own language. And that dictionary would 'live here' so everyone has access to it.

Right now, though, the dictionary is more up-to-date than the wiki, as the recently-released sword fighting terms have been added. I try to update the dictionary weekly, but that has been difficult the last few months, with some major changes that have happened with our hosting service and a series of vexing (and expensive) problems with the server computer. It is hoped that all of that is behind us now, and the server is working better than ever. BTW, the folks over at learnNavi generously give the server space to make this site possible.

In the works for the dictionary is a group of tables that contain the basic inflections for nouns and verbs. This is not a full grammar, but those parts of it that have to be rote-memorized, and that should be a useful quick reference to a Dothraki speaker. I would also like to add a section of non-in-world words the community has come up with (with David Peterson's encouragement!), that help make Dothraki a language that can be useful every day. Finally, I want to make some changes to the dictionary itself, that would allow the listing of root forms of words, example sentences and canonical citations, without otherwise changing its basic layout. Suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

And Ingsve, the new word esemrasalat is (I believe) a verb and not a noun (It is listed in the wiki as a noun).

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »
And Ingsve, the new word esemrasalat is (I believe) a verb and not a noun (It is listed in the wiki as a noun).

Ya, it's obviously a verb. I often copy/paste from a different word when adding a new one so I don't have to type all the formatting tags eacg time and sometimes I forget to change every part of the text. Since I started working I've had less time to keep up to date with adding things to the vocab so if people want to help out if I get behind on stuff then that would be good.

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2012, 06:56:49 pm »
Hey guys! Checking the Special Feature from the Dothraki DVD I've noticed the dictionary missed 'athqothar': repetition. :) Although we do have 'qoth': repetitive and the verb qothat, so you can always form it from there.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2012, 08:25:48 pm »
Hey guys! Checking the Special Feature from the Dothraki DVD I've noticed the dictionary missed 'athqothar': repetition. :) Although we do have 'qoth': repetitive and the verb qothat, so you can always form it from there.

Dothraki DVD?