Author Topic: Does this sentence make any sense?  (Read 6778 times)

vonchao

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Does this sentence make any sense?
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:49:02 am »
Hello,

I was trying to ttranslate: " I stand when others fall".
With a little bit of puzzeling i came to "Anha kovarat kash eshna atthasat"

Could that be correct?
Would love some feedback on this.
Wim.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Does this sentence make any sense?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:48:18 am »
Hello,

I was trying to ttranslate: " I stand when others fall".
With a little bit of puzzeling i came to "Anha kovarat kash eshna atthasat"

Could that be correct?
Would love some feedback on this.
Wim.

Not exactly. First of all the verbs need to be conjugated. Also eshna is an adjective so it needs to be used in a different way to work as a noun. You could say voji eshna which means "other people". It might work to use the word eshnaki to mean "others" though this is not an official word, just a guess from me. Also kovarat might not be the best verb to use. It means to stand as in to move from sitting to standing. I'm guessing you mean something more in the line of "I keep standing when others fall". An alternative might be vikovarerat which ought to imply continuous standing of some sort. This is also an unconfirmed word so David (the creator) might have a different meaning in mind for that word. Another option could be to use the continuation particle zin. Also atthasat isn't the best word either since it means that the "others" are making someone else fall. It might need to be in the passive tense to work.

My attempt at a translation would be:

Anha vikovarerak kash voji eshna nem atthasa.

As you see there are a lot of things going on and some words that are not official so I'll send the question to David and see what he says.

"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:25:53 am »
[Hi. Still here even if a little inactive lately.]

Also kovarat might not be the best verb to use. It means to stand as in to move from sitting to standing.
I'd wager kovarat has the rigt sense. If you look at David's blog post What’s Said Is Said!, you'll notice that kovarat was used (in House Mormont's words, Here We Stand) in quite the same sense as is needed here. The sentences were ours, but it would be strange, if David let such an error go past. Kovarolat might be the word for specifically standing up, if one is needed. Do you have some example in mind, ingsve, where kovarat is used and the sense is clearly to stand up? Of course we have akkovarat as dynamic to make someone stand up, and the straightforward backformation from there would indeed give a dynamic sense to kovarat, but this is in my experience rather normal, that causative is based on a stative word and gets the dynamic sense as a kind of bonus: eg. drivat -> addrivat; menat ammenat. Still, zin might be a nice addition.

I'd also throw in a leading kash: Kash anha zin kovarak, kash voji eshna nem atthasa ("I keep on standing while others are defeated"). I'm still not sure, when you can do without, but I see no reason not to use the full standard syntax.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 03:15:13 am »
[Hi. Still here even if a little inactive lately.]

Also kovarat might not be the best verb to use. It means to stand as in to move from sitting to standing.
I'd wager kovarat has the rigt sense. If you look at David's blog post What’s Said Is Said!, you'll notice that kovarat was used (in House Mormont's words, Here We Stand) in quite the same sense as is needed here. The sentences were ours, but it would be strange, if David let such an error go past. Kovarolat might be the word for specifically standing up, if one is needed. Do you have some example in mind, ingsve, where kovarat is used and the sense is clearly to stand up? Of course we have akkovarat as dynamic to make someone stand up, and the straightforward backformation from there would indeed give a dynamic sense to kovarat, but this is in my experience rather normal, that causative is based on a stative word and gets the dynamic sense as a kind of bonus: eg. drivat -> addrivat; menat ammenat. Still, zin might be a nice addition.

I'd also throw in a leading kash: Kash anha zin kovarak, kash voji eshna nem atthasa ("I keep on standing while others are defeated"). I'm still not sure, when you can do without, but I see no reason not to use the full standard syntax.

You're right it does seem kovarat would be the correct word. I might have been confusing it with something else, or just confused in general.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

vonchao

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:35:56 am »
Thanks! this helps a lot.

The sentence is for a tattoo I'm designing. It would be a shame if it were incorrect.
Again, thanks for this!

Wim

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:08:11 am »
Thanks! this helps a lot.

The sentence is for a tattoo I'm designing. It would be a shame if it were incorrect.
Again, thanks for this!

Wim

In that case I suggest you wait until we get a completely confirmed translation from David before going through with it.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:00:52 pm »
Here are Davids confirmed versions:

Anha kovarak kash eshnaki arthasi "I stand when others fall"

Anha kovarak kash eshna mahrazhi arthasi "I stand when other men fall"

Anha nemo akkovarak eshnaki arthasi "I stand up when others fall"