Author Topic: Valyrian site?  (Read 12923 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Valyrian site?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 08:29:45 am »
I agree that one Valyrian wiki is enough.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Adogs

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 01:03:08 am »
I also agree regarding the wiki.  There is enough overlap between Valyrian variants that we will save ourselves work by just having one.  Of course, there is nothing stopping us from having separate pages on e.g. "High Valyrian verb conjugation" and "Astapori verb conjugations" but on the same wiki.

The dictionaries would probably need to be separate though (although cross-linked where possible to cover things like derivation, etymology etc).

Lajaki

• Administrator
  • We all swore oaths.
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 10:52:13 am »
I don't have much time for content managing, or for learning the languages (hell, I don't even remember the last time I posted here). But I'd be more than happy to make a site for dothraki and Valyrian to land on. I've been meaning to redo Dothraki.org's front page for a while, anyway.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 07:26:32 pm »
This would be a very good time to give it some thought. You can see the direction this is looking to take, both here and in the PM I just sent you.

I promise if you will help get some of the big changes made, that I won't pester you with little stuff. The admin powers you have given me will help see to that :)
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Gizikhven

• Khalakki
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 05:02:12 pm »
Very eager to get a website/forum where we can learn the mechanics of Valyrian (and as many of its forms as possible!) As for the URL, I'd stick with valyrian.org. It keeps with what we've got going on with Dothraki, no? So excited! Thank you to everyone for their hard work. If there is anything I can do, ask. :)
They are dragons, Quentyn. And so am I.

tyrionGreyjoy

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 12:04:08 pm »
I'm new to the site and extremely interested in learning and spreading the language of High Valyrian. I've read this thread and feel like I'm missing something. Everyone is talking about where to host this content when as far as I can tell, we have no substantial content whatsoever. Is David Peterson legally unable to release his full dictionaries and grammar rules to the public? I've seen tidbits from the show on his blog (http://www.dothraki.com/tag/high-valyrian/) but nothing more. Does anyone know if he will eventually be releasing the official vernacular?

I'm an experienced iOS and web developer would be happy to create both a site and app dedicated to learning Valyrian. But I don't have time to scour David's blog for content, or to watch each week's scenes over and over again.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 09:53:04 pm »
I'm new to the site and extremely interested in learning and spreading the language of High Valyrian. I've read this thread and feel like I'm missing something. Everyone is talking about where to host this content when as far as I can tell, we have no substantial content whatsoever. Is David Peterson legally unable to release his full dictionaries and grammar rules to the public? I've seen tidbits from the show on his blog (http://www.dothraki.com/tag/high-valyrian/) but nothing more. Does anyone know if he will eventually be releasing the official vernacular?

I'm an experienced iOS and web developer would be happy to create both a site and app dedicated to learning Valyrian. But I don't have time to scour David's blog for content, or to watch each week's scenes over and over again.

Yes, HBO owns both the Dothraki and Valyrian languages so he can't just release a whole dictionary without their permission. All the Dothraki that is on the wiki are things that we have gathered together from public sources over the past three years. The same will probably have to be done with Valyrian unless HBO changes their strategy. We know that they have been talking to publishers about a Dothraki dictionary but none have been to keen on the idea yet at least.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Dinok

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 05:25:59 pm »
tyrionGreyjoy: While we don't have any official material from David, he gives a lot of hints to us through his comments, and we've made some considerable progress in at least understanding what we have of the language. Of course there is still a long way to go, but if you really want to try and figure it out, come over at Mad Latinist's livejournal: http://jdm314.livejournal.com/ he always writes a new post when a new piece of Valyrian is released and we help him analyse it to better understand it, piece by piece. It is, afaik, the only place on the web where someone is posting their attempts to learn Valyrian (both Astapori and High), we would be glad if you joined us! :)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 02:29:36 pm »
Or consider joining us in our Monday evening IRC chats. We discuss some of those plans there, when we can interact in real time. I am finally getting clear of the stuff that has had me so severely bogged down, and I hope to soom be doing some serious planning to get the Valyrian plans going.

And yes, we have a lot of work to do!

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 02:29:29 am »
Hey, one little thing that's still sorta nagging me about the wiki... The wallpaper. Could we have a different for Valyrian part or could we just change that to more "languages of..." look? Does anyone but me care?
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Havazhyol

• Athdrivar vos annakhoo !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 07:56:47 am »
A map of ASOIAF world would be more accurate
I'm back !!

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 12:28:07 pm »
I just spent the last 5 days with Marki, the LearnNavi system administrator. I think this background change is doable if we come up with the appropriate files, but Marki will have to do it.

There is also a change coming to the wiki, where the extra 'dothraki' will disappear from the URL According to Marki, this will not break any links, but he is checking to make sure this is the case.

One other interesting thing Marki told me is that right now, Dothraki accounts for 70 percent of the traffic on the LearnNavi server :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:29:41 pm by Hrakkar »