Author Topic: Things learnt from other sources.  (Read 12446 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things learnt from other sources.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 06:17:56 am »
David has coined a bunch of new words based on the names of people who attended his talks and work shop in Reno.

http://dothraki.conlang.org/new-dothraki-words/

Our fellow forumite Hrakkar also gets a shout out and a coined word.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 08:52:18 am »
Fun.

I added the words to the wiki.

Is it that word Dave has coined from his own name at the middle of athastokhdeveshizar?
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 09:08:14 am »
Fun.

I added the words to the wiki.

Is it that word Dave has coined from his own name at the middle of athastokhdeveshizar?

Ah, you beat me too it. I was about to do it but got distracted by the Vuelta a España.

Regarding dev: I would think that is very likely.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:10:22 am by ingsve »
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ValekLost

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 04:31:42 am »
The new words are really cool.
And I find that the idea to made them up from someones name it's really...uhm..engrossing (?) for the people that are trying to learn Dothraki or coming near to it.

Very funny :D

ps. is there something about that "class A" "class B" I've seen near the specification of the in/animacy of the nouns? 0.o
I don't know if I'm missing something or what :D

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 05:18:52 am »
The new words are really cool.
And I find that the idea to made them up from someones name it's really...uhm..engrossing (?) for the people that are trying to learn Dothraki or coming near to it.

Very funny :D

ps. is there something about that "class A" "class B" I've seen near the specification of the in/animacy of the nouns? 0.o
I don't know if I'm missing something or what :D

Class A and Class B has to do with whether the word declines regularly or not. If we take the word zanisshi for example. If it is Class A the accusative would be zinish but it's really class B so the accusative is zinisshe instead. (Unless I got them confused again).

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 06:33:21 am »
Zanish and zanisshe you mean, I'm sure..
These irregularities rise from epenthesis issues.

If were getting this right (I'm pretty confident we are), sondra is in accusative sondre, because r-ending consonant clusters cannot end words. It gets the /-e/ so it's class B like zanisshi. And ferri does not get the /-e/, but loses the gemination of r, so it is in class A instead. The way we categorize things right now, class A is for irregular nouns and class B for regular.

We're not using these class markings in our vocabulary, but instead we just offer the accusatives of the nouns as supporting cases. I added the accusative of zanisshi to the wiki, 'cause I trust ingsve knows what he's talking about :)
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »
There is a new article in the NY Times about conlangs that features David and Dothraki which has several new words and some phrases read by David. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/arts/television/in-game-of-thrones-a-language-to-make-the-world-feel-real.html

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 12:58:20 am »
A very nice article indeed! Some of the comments are very interesting.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 02:27:34 am »
A very nice article indeed! Some of the comments are very interesting.

Hehe, ya. The comments express a common snobbish view of languages citing dieing languages as something worth learning. This has always been the case though it seems. Conlangs were something that linguists did but never spoke about since it was their dirty little secret.Times have changed a bit but it's still something that's not really viewed as proper.