Author Topic: More info ahead of Next List program - New words  (Read 8893 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
More info ahead of Next List program - New words
« on: April 06, 2012, 06:13:59 am »
CNN has put up a new preview as well as a special blog post by David about certain aspects of creating a language.

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/06/language-creation-for-game-of-thrones/

In it we learn a few more words:

onqothat, "to walk" (for horse)

chetira = half mile
irvosa = quarter mile
onqotha = eighth mile

There are also two new constructions we haven't seen before:

Anha dothrak adakhataan. "I'm about to eat." (Lit. "I ride to eating.")
Anha dothrak adakhatoon. "I just ate." (Lit. "I ride from eating.")
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: More info ahead of Next List program - New words
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 06:30:41 am »
Looking through the new preview video we can see couple of pretty clear pages from Davids reference grammar, especially his dictionary setup. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to try and mimik his layout which is based on stems rather than derived words.

At any rate there are several new words to see and some new words that are only half visible.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:31:05 am »
I had missed this promo. This is the first time we hear that they are planning on adding more languages to the show and that they would like David to create them.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10101442824944129

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:19:20 am »
Screencap 1

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:21:24 am »
Screencap 2

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:21:47 am »
screencap 3

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:38:55 am »
Wow! So cool... but now that I read all this... is there more coming? A whole show dedicated to deconstructing Dothraki?
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 12:45:24 pm »
Wow! So cool... but now that I read all this... is there more coming? A whole show dedicated to deconstructing Dothraki?

Yes, on sunday (April 8th) at 2pm ET on CNN. The show is called The Next List.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:48 pm »
Oh, am I looking forward to having the time to look at this video!

For the Sunday show, I hope they post it online, or someone can grab it, as I cannot get anything but off-air where I live.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 01:20:40 pm »
Oh, am I looking forward to having the time to look at this video!

For the Sunday show, I hope they post it online, or someone can grab it, as I cannot get anything but off-air where I live.

It's uncertain if it will be online, at least not in full. It's also not a show that is usually ripped by the usual pirates but perhaps someone who likes Game of Thrones will get it up.

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 12:23:15 pm »
Are the blog post stuff and the page screencaps all the new words/information we can wrangle out of this? David's "coming up" speech seems to go approximately "Sille: Zhey Daenerys Targaryen qisi lana sash haji Vilajerosh Adori"
The first word I'm guessing has something to do with silat (though the l sounds to me clearly geminated), to follow and might just be a noun for next. Lana sash sounds like an expression for "new season", "new run", which would make lana a word for a run, which would not be very surprising.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 12:25:19 pm »
Are the blog post stuff and the page screencaps all the new words/information we can wrangle out of this? David's "coming up" speech seems to go approximately "Sille: Zhey Daenerys Targaryen qisi lana sash haji Vilajerosh Adori"
The first word I'm guessing has something to do with silat (though the l sounds to me clearly geminated), to follow and might just be a noun for next. Lana sash sounds like an expression for "new season", "new run", which would make lana a word for a run, which would not be very surprising.

Ya those things you mention are the things I've identified that has new material.