Author Topic: Gemination question  (Read 5028 times)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Gemination question
« on: December 14, 2011, 12:47:26 pm »
The Geminate ss is understood to be a letter S followed by another letter S.
Is the geminate or geminate-like ssh equivalent to an S followed by an SH, or an SH followed by an SH? Are there any exceptions to this rule? Would the same rules/exceptions hold for zzh, kkh, cch or tth?
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: Gemination question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:20:51 pm »
They are pronounced sh followed by sh (or long sh, rather), kh followed by kh (or long kh, rather) etc. just as the IPA's indicate. This is kinda explained on the phonology page of the wiki, though I think not very clearly.

Mr. Peterson comments on the subject quite decisively on one of his blog posts.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Gemination question
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 02:11:31 pm »
Qvaak, thank you for reminding me about that blog post. I had forgotten that this post dealt with doubled consonant pronunciation, and it completely answered my questions. And interestingly, I seem to remember that this was a response to a question I had originally asked!

But in reading it again a few months later , it made a whole lot more sense, as I have been working really hard on getting pronunciation and stress right. And not surprisingly, I find myself more and more to sound like David when he pronounces Dothraki. But I still have a long ways to go :)

Thanks!
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)