Learn Dothraki > Beginners

Sentence Attempts

(1/12) > >>

Verak:
I am going to attempt to write sentences in Dothraki. I will very much appreciate anyone who wants to discuss/correct them. I'm SURE they will be replete with errors.

San athchomari yeraan.

My 9 sheep are quiet tonight.
Qazat oqet anni chakae ajjalan.
Qazat oqet anni chaka ajjalan.

That spider bit me again under my glove yesterday.
Rek qosar save oste anha torga hlak anni oskikh.
Rek qosar save ost anha torga hlakon anni oskikh.
Rek qosar save ost anna torga hlaki(?) anni oskikh.

Sheep’s wool is useful to ill foreigners.
Vafikh oqet(i (gen?)) davrae ifaki shikhaki. (I don't know which case to put on ifaki (or how to form it).)
Vafikh oqeti davrae ifakoa shikhaki.

Lekh Dothraki nroja.  :-\

ingsve:
Nice attempts. I'll give it some feedback with how I understand things but I can't guarantee that I'm right.

--- Quote from: Verak on April 29, 2011, 05:46:21 pm ---
My 9 sheep are quiet tonight.
Qazat oqet anni chakae ajjalan.

--- End quote ---
We're not sure what the conjugation of verbs that end in a consonant is so the present tense of chakat might not be chakae. Based on the conjugation of lanat from the new Wired article it seems that the present tense of that verb is simply lana. From this my guess would be that the present tense of chakat would be chaka but that would be 3rd person singular so who knows what the 3rd person plural would be.

--- Quote from: Verak on April 29, 2011, 05:46:21 pm ---
That spider bit me again under my glove yesterday.
Rek qosar save oste anha torga hlak anni oskikh.

--- End quote ---
The past tense of ostat is simply ost. The /-e/ is only added when the stem ends on a disallowed consonant like q, w or g or certain clusters. I'm also not sure whether there might be case changes after certain prepositions. That's something I've been meaning to ask David Peterson about. From some examples it seems that there is an odd case after some prepositions which has been a bit confusing.

--- Quote from: Verak on April 29, 2011, 05:46:21 pm ---Sheep’s wool is useful to ill foreigners.
Vafikh oqet(i (gen?)) davrae ifaki shikhaki. (I don't know which case to put on ifaki (or how to form it).)

--- End quote ---

Yes, it should be vafikh oqeti. The sheep are in possession of the wool. Ya, the case is a bit hard. I don't know the exact rules for when ablative and allative cases are used but they seem to be common so my guess is that "to ill foreigners" would actually be ablative. If ifak is animate (which is my guess since fonak=hunter is animate and has the same /-k/ formation) then the declension would be ifakoa I believe.

Verak:

Zhey Ingsve

San athchomari yeraan save.

Verak:

Re:

Lekh Dothraki allayafa anna ma me san athnrojari.

Lekh Dothraki allayafa anna ma me sekke nroja.

Questions:

- Are they (both) grammatical?

- What do they mean?

- Is one more correct than the other?

- Is there no word for 'but' yet?

Verak:

Anha tih meqosar ost allegre ma me drivo.
I saw the spider bite the duck and it died.

Hash me athjilar?

Which animal died?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version