Learn Dothraki > Dothraki Language Updates

The Atlas of the Dothraki

(1/7) > >>

Khal_Qana:
Hey everyone,

In my last post I talked a little bit about the stories of the Dothraki people that I have been writing. These stories are apart of a larger project idea that I had for the Dothraki community and I wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

My idea is to write a book, an atlas of sorts, about all the aspects of Dothraki culture. From traditional weapon making to constellations, this book will hold all the information about what makes the fearsome warriors  all that much more human. I wanted to get feedback from as many members of this community as possible, incorporating and expanding upon elements of a culture that you may want to be apart of the atlas, so that this isn't just some book of random things I made up and instead being something that was actually built from a community of people. This book will contain in depth descriptions, diagrams, pictures and instructions on pieces of their culture. Hopefully, if we work through enough legal tape, we could get GRRM to add some of his own content and maybe get this published too. I would love to see this come to life, and any critique, comment, volunteerment, or resources that you have will me much appreciated!

So far I have a list of ideas that could go into this book:

-oral tradition
-clothing
-paintings and tattoos
-jewelry
-traditional dance
-musical instruments
-childhood games
-hunting techniques
-khalasar hierarchy
-rituals
-family life
-regional differences
-weapons
-fauna
-battle tactics
-superstitions
-constellations/birth signs
-historic moments
-old traditions
-new traditions
-disease and apothecary
-dialects of the language
-enemies
-art and monuments
-taboos
-artifacts

I imagine this to be similar to the book Gnomes by Wil Huygen (a fantastic read) and I can't wait to see your guy's responses!

Disclaimer: All of this content is fan made material and does not claim to be apart of the canon universe established in the Game of Thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire franchise.  The work here will not be published or sold for monetary gain, and thus does not violate any of the copyright claims and trademarks that HBO, Bantam Books, or any other company have in the franchise.

Khal_Qana:
Okay, so now I've laid out a few more ideas and have structured them in a much more coherent list. Again, feedback is very much requested!

Part one: Appearance of the Dothraki
•   Clothing
•   Jewelry
•   Cosmetics
•   Battle
Part two: People and societal structure
•   Khalasar hierarchy
•   Family life
•   Gender roles
•   Jobs and professions
Part three: The life of a Dothrak
•   Infancy
•   Childhood games
•   Toys
•   Apprenticeship
•   Ceremony of adulthood
•   Choosing a profession
•   Choosing a spouse
•   Children
•   Middle age
•   Retirement
Part four: Tools and techniques for life in a Khalasar
•   Musical instruments
•   Hunting techniques
•   Animal Husbandry
•   Migration patterns
•   Tent building
•   Horse rearing
•   Raiding villages
•   Weapons and weapon building
•   Trading and the barter system
•   Apothecary
•   Brewing alcohol
•   Making clothing
•   Basket weaving and pot making
•   Cooking
Part five: The rituals and culture of the Dothraki
•   Pregnancy rituals
•   Birthing rituals
•   Baptism
•   Circumcision
•   Constellations and Birth signs
•   Courtship and Marriage
•   Traditional Dance and Music
•   Oral tradition
•   Body paint and tattoos
•   Art
•   Superstitions and taboos
•   Old traditions
•   New traditions
Part six: Geography
•   Plants
•   Fauna
•   Terrain
•   Regional differences in Dothraki culture
•   Dialects of the Dothraki language
•   Holy lands
Part seven: The Struggles of Life
•   Enemies of the Dothraki
•   War
•   Battle tactics
•   Assassination
•   Deadly landscapes
•   Deadly plants
•   Deadly insects
•   Deadly animals
•   Diseases
•   Old age
Part eight: The legacy of the Dothraki people
•   Historical events
•   Influence on Essos
•   Artifacts and monuments

Disclaimer: All of this content is fan made material and does not claim to be apart of the canon universe established in the Game of Thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire franchise.  The work here will not be published or sold for monetary gain, and thus does not violate any of the copyright claims and trademarks that HBO, Bantam Books, or any other company have in the franchise.

Hrakkar:
VERY interesting project!

Unlike the Na'vi, you have a pretty broad base of data (books, TV series) to draw cultural assumptions from.

And I assume that you have GRRM's maps book.

Khal_Qana:
The maps were really expensive so I just hand drew them. If you can see the faint penciled in lines dividing up Havazh Dothraki (since I had to drop the quality from 2000kb to 250), those are possible dialect borders I drew, in case I wanted to go all out and start evolving Dothraki standard

Khal_Qana:
First draft of the first fable written; How Men Learned to Ride Horses. The second draft will also be in english, and the third and fourth will be written in Dothraki. I hope you enjoy what I have so far:

How men learned to ride horses
Long ago, no men knew how to ride horses.  Men simply walked and ran, and hunted the horse like the other animals.  Men were miserable, for their feet were always blistered and the world too crowded; since everyone couldn’t be outside of walking distance of one another. Horses mocked man, and spat at their feet as they galloped by. Horses, however, are much dumber than men, and are much easier to trick. In the village of men, the king gathered his strongest and fastest hunters together, and told them to capture the king of horses for him.  The hunters were obedient, and went to the land of horses dressed in mares’ skins.  When they found the king, a big black stallion that stood at twice the height of the men, they used ropes to trip him as he ran and lassoed him by the neck.  They returned to their king with the great stallion in hand, and the king appraised their efforts. Taking the ropes that held the king of horse, he lept upon its back to try to wrestle him to the dirt.  The stallion kicked and ran, but the king of men held on to the ropes around his neck.  The stallion ran out into the world, as fast as the dusts storms, and passed across lands in a few seconds. Through forest, desert, and across water, the stallion tried his best to lose his rider, but the king was too strong and stayed on the king of horses back. The king of horses became wearier and wearier, until he came to a stop beside a river and fell into a deep sleep.  While the stallion slept, the king of men took the grasses along the river and weaved a saddle for himself. He fitted the ropes inside the mouth of the horse, and took shells to cover the eyes of the stallion.  The king of horses woke, and was so flattered by the gifts the king of men had made, he swore to be a loyal servant for the rest of time.  The king rode the stallion back to the village victorious, and taught all the other men how to make the saddles and reigns for the horses to wear. Soon, all men knew to ride horses, and rode their new servants across the world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version