Learn Dothraki > Dothraki Language Updates

The Dictionary Thread

<< < (23/24) > >>

Zhav:

--- Quote from: HoeriVezhof on January 26, 2017, 08:19:58 pm ---
--- Quote from: HoeriVezhof on January 01, 2017, 04:32:41 am ---
--- Quote from: Choyosor on December 31, 2016, 01:49:13 pm ---Alright, I have a question regarding the root of two words:

Is there a connection between the verbs to slice/cut into(rissat) and to fix (arrissat)? If so, what semantics lead to this connection?

--- End quote ---

perhaps arrissat: to make cut > to make sharp > to make useful, make work (a dull arakh is a useless arakh, afterall) > to fix?

--- End quote ---

So, according to David J. Peterson, "Another [word] I thought worked well is the word for "to fix" or "to repair", which is arrissat. It's actually the causative of rissat, which means "to cut" or "to slice". Thus, to repair something is to "make it cut"—which is a good way of saying what needs to be done with a broken arakh."

https://www.reddit.com/r/tabled/comments/r9iqs/table_fantasy_mathchomaroon_my_name_is_david_j/?st=iyfap03p&sh=142e3d89

--- End quote ---

I was actually browsing the vocabulary the other day and noticed the word for fix, and remembering the word for sharp I figured out the etymological origin on my own. Felt pretty smart. :)

I wonder if afflechat would be a good way to express breaking something, in the malfunction sense of the word. Arabic never uses the same word for "break" in these two contexts, of breaking a pot, i.e. it shatters to pieces, versus "breaking" a computer, i.e. rendering it inoperable.

Khal_Qana:

--- Quote ---I wonder if afflechat would be a good way to express breaking something, in the malfunction sense of the word. Arabic never uses the same word for "break" in these two contexts, of breaking a pot, i.e. it shatters to pieces, versus "breaking" a computer, i.e. rendering it inoperable.
--- End quote ---

Interesting concept. That might be something that I'd consider when translating my Atlas.

HoeriVezhof:

--- Quote from: Zhav on February 03, 2017, 09:14:08 pm ---I wonder if afflechat would be a good way to express breaking something, in the malfunction sense of the word. Arabic never uses the same word for "break" in these two contexts, of breaking a pot, i.e. it shatters to pieces, versus "breaking" a computer, i.e. rendering it inoperable.

--- End quote ---
Well there's at least one other example of this contrastive pairing of 2nd meanings (e.g. yolat to be born; (of the sun) to rise and drivolat to die; (of the sun) to set), could be (can you guys think of any others?). Two verbs are actually derivable from flech, the stative intransitive flecholat, to grow dull, to not function, to cease to function, (intr.) to break and the active transitive afflechat, to make dull, to cause to not function, (tr.)to break. It could also be that Dothraki just doesn't make that distinction and simply uses samvolat and assamvat. The Dothraki don't seem to have complex enough technology that would require that distinction. Spanish makes a similar distinction with the verb descomponerse, to rot, to decompose; to break down, to not function, to cease to function, and I'm having trouble thinking of any tech that the Dothraki have that I would use it with. Maybe a cart?

Zhav:
Mumbled response
The equivalent of "uh-huh" and "nuh-uh" in many, many languages. Asi mra lekh Dothraki laz vekha ven "oho" ha sekaan, ma "o" ha vosaan.  The IPA would be similar to [˦˨ʔm.˨ʔm] and [˥˩ʔo] (it isn't exact due to this being a non-pulmonic sound)
[/quote]

I always figured that majin makes sense to serve as a filler word in conversation in the middle of two thoughts.

HoeriVezhof:

--- Quote from: Zhav on February 07, 2017, 06:52:37 pm ---
--- Quote ---Mumbled response
The equivalent of "uh-huh" and "nuh-uh" in many, many languages. Asi mra lekh Dothraki laz vekha ven "oho" ha sekaan, ma "o" ha vosaan.  The IPA would be similar to [˦˨ʔm.˨ʔm] and [˥˩ʔo] (it isn't exact due to this being a non-pulmonic sound)

--- End quote ---

I always figured that majin makes sense to serve as a filler word in conversation in the middle of two thoughts.

--- End quote ---
I think Choyosor is referring to a negative meaning "no" rather than a filler word like "um" or "uh."

--- Quote ---Graddakh
Too long and unimpactful for a brief "f*ck!" moment; It's similar to saying "Gee willikers" or "Sacre bleu" in english/french. I think that "Grra" is far more satisfying, and condenses the explitive down to a nice, single-syllable statement.  I've used it before when talking to friends, as well as a few posts ago in the forum.
--- End quote ---
Graddakh doesn't seem to long to me, lots of language have multisyllabic curse words (spanish alone has joder! mierda! no mames! hijo de su (cingada/puta) madre! híjole! chingado! or chingao!, etc), English is actually the odd one that loves monosyllabic words ending in voiceless consonants (sh*t! f*ck! c*nt! d*ck! etc.). If I were to shorten graddakh, I'd prefere grakh!, preserving that nice velar fricative.

--- Quote ---Affa
Too harsh for trying to calm a horse.  You want to avoid fricatives as much as possible since a big stress inducer for a horse is running into a snake, and making snake sounds is the last thing you want to do if you want to get your horse to stop moving.  I suggest making it a nasal or an approximant: "amma" or "awwa". Nice and calm.
For calming a baby you could use "affa", but
--- End quote ---

Too harsh? Fricatives are the most soothing (to me) sounds there are! I've never been around horses so I don't know how likely fricatives are to spook them, but seeing as [f] is a labio-dental and snakes have neither lips nor teeth, I doubt a horse would associate it with a snake.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version