Learn Dothraki > Dothraki Language Updates

The Dictionary Thread

<< < (3/24) > >>

Hrakkar:
I will have to find Lajacki's description of how his versioning worked, but you have the right general idea. Small changes like a error correction, got a number change in the third place from right of the decimal point. A bunch of new words, a change in grammar, etc. got a change in the second place. A major shift n something got a change in the first place. A wholesale reworking got a change on the number to the left of the decimal point. Those kinds of changes got to be rare after we had a reasonably good understanding of the grammar, etc. So, the Na'vi dictionary has ben on version 11.xxx for quite some time now. (The current version is 11.87, the last with Taronyu/Lajaki as editor). Above all, it is not rocket science.

ingsve:
Ok, I'll try to do something like that.

So what's the general purpose for it? So that people who have downloaded a copy of the dictionary can easily see how up to date it still is?

Hrakkar:

--- Quote from: ingsve on May 24, 2011, 03:40:25 am ---Ok, I'll try to do something like that.

So what's the general purpose for it? So that people who have downloaded a copy of the dictionary can easily see how up to date it still is?

--- End quote ---

That is correct. Otherwise, it is hard to tell how old a given copy of the dictionary is. Using a date would do the same thing. Lajacki did both a number and a date. I am surprised he wasn't doing it with the Dothraki dictionary. It might be because it started out smaller than the Na`vi dictionary, and is evolving more slowly.

ingsve:

--- Quote from: Hrakkar on May 24, 2011, 09:08:53 am ---
--- Quote from: ingsve on May 24, 2011, 03:40:25 am ---Ok, I'll try to do something like that.

--- End quote ---

That is correct. Otherwise, it is hard to tell how old a given copy of the dictionary is. Using a date would do the same thing. Lajacki did both a number and a date. I am surprised he wasn't doing it with the Dothraki dictionary. It might be because it started out smaller than the Na`vi dictionary, and is evolving more slowly.

--- End quote ---

Well, there is a date and a changelog.

Hrakkar:
I guess in my 'set ways' in looking for a version number, I have not noticed the date before (my mind does that sometimes, and it is annoying). A date is sufficient for the purpose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version