Author Topic: The High Valyrian Dictionary Thread  (Read 28372 times)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
The High Valyrian Dictionary Thread
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:48:09 pm »
The High Valyrian dictionary will be here sooner than you think!  :)
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Aleenik

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The High Valyrian Dictionary Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:49:12 pm »
That is great to hear.:) I can't wait to start learning some High Valyrian. I wish more people would come here though. Maybe one day this site will reach the popularity of Learn Na'vi.

zorah

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:09:07 am »
Yay! Finally my week-long waiting comes to an end :D I hope it'll be released before summer holidays, because if so, I'll have some "productive" thing to do! :)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 01:36:23 pm »
Zhey StannisBarethoen_ark, your post was turned into a new topic ('Languages of ASOAIF'), and moved to the 'General Discussion' board.

http://forum.dothraki.org/general-discussion/other-languages-in-asoaif/

Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:05:12 pm »
Working on it, chief! :p We need to do some skyping! xD
Athhajar vidrie anna ayyey

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 11:14:27 pm »
I have finished the first edition of the High Valyrian lexicon at the Valyrian wiki! Enjoy: http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Valyrian/High_Valyrian_Vocabulary

The vocabulary will keep growing and verbs and adjectives will be added soon.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 01:52:15 am »
I have finished the first edition of the High Valyrian lexicon at the Valyrian wiki! Enjoy: http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Valyrian/High_Valyrian_Vocabulary

That formatting looks really cluttered. First of all I think the noun classes should just be marked with a single letter so "nl." "ns." "na." and "nt.".

Is there really a need to list person and number in the vocabulary? Usually all nouns should just be listed in the nominative in a dictionary.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 12:06:23 pm »

That formatting looks really cluttered. First of all I think the noun classes should just be marked with a single letter so "nl." "ns." "na." and "nt.".

Is there really a need to list person and number in the vocabulary? Usually all nouns should just be listed in the nominative in a dictionary.

What person? What do you mean? There are no verbs yet. They are all listed in the nominative which is not stated and they are in "sg." because there are also collectives relexicalized.

The formatting is exactly the same as the one used for the Dothraki vocabulary list.

Edit: Ok, now I got you. It's not marked for "person", what you see there is the gender and the declension type, so lunar 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, then solar 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc and so on. The singular could be suppressed but we were thinking that it might be useful to contrast with collectives. Also I don't think a one letter abbreviation is a good idea, since the genders are very peculiar, not that common and people could get confused by "na." and such. Maybe the best way to abbreviate them would be aq., sol., lun. and ter. Whatever people think is more helpful. What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:39:14 pm by Najahho »

zorah

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:59:59 pm »
You don't even know how happy I am now! Thank you for this! :)

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 01:31:49 pm »
You don't even know how happy I am now! Thank you for this! :)

Thanks so much for that, hehe. Happy you found it useful :)

Stay tuned for updates!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:33:39 pm by Najahho »

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 05:32:50 pm »

What person? What do you mean? There are no verbs yet. They are all listed in the nominative which is not stated and they are in "sg." because there are also collectives relexicalized.

The formatting is exactly the same as the one used for the Dothraki vocabulary list.

Edit: Ok, now I got you. It's not marked for "person", what you see there is the gender and the declension type, so lunar 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, then solar 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc and so on. The singular could be suppressed but we were thinking that it might be useful to contrast with collectives. Also I don't think a one letter abbreviation is a good idea, since the genders are very peculiar, not that common and people could get confused by "na." and such. Maybe the best way to abbreviate them would be aq., sol., lun. and ter. Whatever people think is more helpful. What do you think?

Ah ok.

Now it looks a little better but it's still a little long for my taste. Perhaps shortening them like you suggested here would be good. The problem I find is that I keep having to scan through the row to find the word meaning and that should ideally be what directly catches your eye when you look at the row.

How about for example:

n.1aq.
n.1ter.
n.2sol.
n.3lun.

That way it be short and uniform and wouldn't distract the eyes from the main part of the row.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

killer

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 10:51:29 pm »
My idea is to explain all this abbreviations somewhere below. I can't understand some of them!

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 12:31:15 pm »
I don't know. The terms are rather unique to the language, so the abbreviations would be confusing. We should at least let people who use it decide on whether it's better for it to be abbreviated or not.

(Of course all abbreviations would be explained at the end. We just didn't get to that yet).

Stormborn

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 09:20:11 pm »
This makes me very happy.

Najahho

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »