Author Topic: Duolingo course  (Read 15493 times)

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
Duolingo course
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:06:09 pm »
Everyone, listen here!

We need some volunteers to sign up to work on a Dothraki duolingo course. I'm going to PM everyone I think would be a good addition to the team, but if you think you are good enough at Dothraki to help out, please speak out and I would be more than happy to have your help. I know this community isn't very active, but please, we have the opportunity to reach an audience of millions of people! Think about how great it would be get a fresh wave of beginners into this stagnant forum. Consider the following benefits of helping:

-as said previously, it is a good way to reach a large audience
-a good way to easily strengthen your Dothraki skills on a highly developed app
-some spoken learning material to help you pronounce the language better
-a place where you get a personal sense of accomplishment with every lesson you complete, and you would know exactly how well you know Dothraki and how much you need to improve

please please please PLEASE PLEASE! Let's get something done for a change!
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
Re: Duolingo course
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:45:58 am »
Side note:

I had a bit of a fever last night and I had taken some medicine that had made me a tad crazy. Though my enthusiasm in apparent, I apologize for the pharmaceutical-fueled babbling I displayed  ;D

However, if you are interested in helping out on the Duolingo Dothraki course I want to start up, please feel free to contact me!
My name means butt swarm

Nullus

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 06:00:30 pm »
I'm going to assume that this didn't get off the ground, which would be a shame. If there is anything a beginner could do to help I would love to. I don't have a large vocabulary yet, but I'd like to think my pronunciation is pretty top notch!

I would really love to see this happen, I was never really interested in the nuances of language until I found our about Dothraki so this would be an amazing thing to see come to fruition

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 12:00:55 am »
You can still apply to the Dothraki course on Duolingo, the more applications the better. I have yet to hear from some of the major speakers of Dothraki so this thread didn't get much attention apart from Hrakkar
My name means butt swarm

Nullus

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 03:58:57 am »
I'll have to go check out duo lingo to see if there's anything I can do. Not sure I can really translate anything right now, but hopefully that will change here in the future.

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 07:46:11 am »
Sounds good, my friend!
My name means butt swarm

illixir

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 01:49:44 pm »
Very interested in this.  As a newbie, I too have little to offer but would be willing.

Nullus

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 09:30:13 am »
I searched around the incubator on Duolingo and didn't see anything

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot, or just not familiar enough with the website

Either way gonna keep up with it here and if I see anything I'll be glad to lend a hand

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 09:25:43 am »
As of right now, the only place you can find any mention of dothraki is on an incubator application form.
My name means butt swarm

Alsatio

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 03:37:25 am »
I frequently use Duolingo and it would be very exciting to have a Dothraki course in it.
Since there is also a Celtic course why not Dothraki after all??
As I am a newbie in this language I would like to contribute as much as my knowledge can allow me to help.

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 10:30:49 am »
Sounds fantastic, gaezosi sash kishi! Do you plan on staying active on this forum?
My name means butt swarm

Alsatio

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:09 am »
I plan to stay active as much as I can and as much as I have things to study!

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 08:27:27 am »
Well that's fantastic! Good to have you on board too!
My name means butt swarm

Alsatio

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 12:49:00 am »
Just to know, where should I start to help for the duolingo course? Which are the first steps to do? A parte from studying Dothraki xD

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 08:35:24 am »
In order to sign up and apply, you need to do these things:

1) Go onto the Duolingo website and register an account. It is important you go on the website and not the app for reason that will be explained soon
2) choose a language to learn. If you do want to actually learn something that's fine. If you don't want to actively learn something that's fine too, just choose any one you want; it doesn't matter.
3) once you get to your profile, go to the top of the screen and click on home, next to the big Duolingo title card
4) On your homepage, in the top right corner should be a central hub with (going right to left) your account name, your profile picture, and the flag of whichever language you've chosen. Hover your mouse over the flag, and information about your progress will appear in a little speech bubble
5) go down to the bottom of this speech bubble where it says add a new course and click on it.
6) you will appear on a page with a grid-list of all the language courses that are offered. Scroll down to the bottom, and you should see an area that says Language courses made by the people and a blue bubble that is labeled contribute to a course that you click on. This feature is only seen on the website and can not be reached on the app!
7) this blue bubble will take you to a new page called duolingo incubator, which is exactly where you want to be. At the top of the page, underneath the title, is a white bubble that is labeled with the same contribute to a course as the blue bubble beforehand.
8) Once you click on the little white bubble it will take you to the volunteer application form (almost done!), and now you simply fill out said application.
9) the course you'll sign up for is "Dothraki for English speakers" and if you're willing to moderate that would be fantastic.
10) All you do now is specify your native language, answer a question in Dothraki, translate your answer into English, give them your email address, confirm that you're over 13 and submit your application.

And that's it. Hopefully I'll have enough applications from other Dothraki speakers such as ourselves in order to start this project. Thank you so much for your time, and I hope you have a fantastic day! San athchomar azhak yeraan ha kashaan yeri, ma anha zak meyer aqorasoe asshekh vezhven!
My name means butt swarm