Author Topic: Athchomar chomakea!  (Read 5052 times)

Brabent

• dothrakhqoyi
    • View Profile
Athchomar chomakea!
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:54:19 pm »
I'm a student at Purdue university, have been a fan of Martin's books for a few years now and am absolutley thrilled with the way that Dothraki has come to life in the TV series.
As a student at Purdue I'm taking a few linguistics classes and at the end of this semester I'll be doing a full linguistic analysis of a language of my choice.  I'm hoping to do it on Dothraki and would like to learn as much as I can!  if anybody can give me some pointers and/or point me in the right direction for some of the phonology and whatnot that goes into making up this language it would be much appreciated.  when I do get the analysis done, if I think it's worth sharing I'll gladly post it on these forums so others can take a look, but thats assuming it doesn't end up just being a regurgitation of information on this site, we'll see what happens!  ;)
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." -- Jojen Reed

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Athchomar chomakea!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:11:41 am »
I'm a student at Purdue university, have been a fan of Martin's books for a few years now and am absolutley thrilled with the way that Dothraki has come to life in the TV series.
As a student at Purdue I'm taking a few linguistics classes and at the end of this semester I'll be doing a full linguistic analysis of a language of my choice.  I'm hoping to do it on Dothraki and would like to learn as much as I can!  if anybody can give me some pointers and/or point me in the right direction for some of the phonology and whatnot that goes into making up this language it would be much appreciated.  when I do get the analysis done, if I think it's worth sharing I'll gladly post it on these forums so others can take a look, but thats assuming it doesn't end up just being a regurgitation of information on this site, we'll see what happens!  ;)

Hi and welcome. The currently known information of anything relating to the language including phonology can be found on the wiki at http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/Learning_Dothraki

If you want to analyze the language beyond what exists in hte wiki I guess the audio sources page is a good place to start to find original sources of David speaking the language.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Athchomar chomakea!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 01:54:55 am »
There is also now some good phonology stuff (including audio examples) on David Peterson's blog. You can find his blog at www.dothraki.com

BTW, I like your avatar!
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)