Learn Dothraki > Dothraki Language Updates

Verb conjugation

(1/2) > >>

ingsve:
Here is a quick look at what is known about verb conjugation

conjugationinfinitivetranslationcategoriesfichitakeIMP Sing.samvenosamvenolatsurpassed3rd p. Sing. PST.samvosamvolatbroke3rd p. Sing. PST.assamveassamvatbroke3rd p. Sing. PST.ogeogatslaughtered3rd p. Sing. PST.ahhasahhasatsharpened3rd p. Sing. PST.kaffekaffatcrushed3rd p. Sing. PST.dothraedothralatrides3rd p. Sing. PRESvichiterashivers3rd p. Sing. PRESzireyeseezireyeselatoffends3rd p. Sing. PRESathiroewill survive3rd p. Sing. FUTofrakhiwill not touch2nd p. Sing. FUT, NEG
From this we can see that there isn't really a clear pattern connected to person or tense like in a lot of common languages. This possibly means that conjugation will be affected by other grammatical categories. There also seems to be diffrent types of conjugation. In one instance we see the infinitive ending -at change into -e (assamvat->assamve) but in another case the infinitive ending is simply dropped (samvolat->samvo). One diffrence between these verbs is that one is transitive and the other is intransitive and given what we know this seems to be an important distinction that will probably have impact on the grammar.

Another thing is that if the word ofrakhi is correctly translated it seems that taking the negative of a verb is buildt into the conjugation.

Finally, we have also seen the word laz which seems to mean both can and could.

ShadowedSin:
Seems modality is playing into conjugation too.

ingsve:

--- Quote from: ShadowedSin on February 10, 2011, 03:32:33 pm ---Seems modality is playing into conjugation too.

--- End quote ---

Do you mean the imperative example? Ya, that seems possible at least.

ShadowedSin:
I mean laz, can or could tend to fall under grammatical mood or modality.

ingsve:

--- Quote from: ShadowedSin on February 10, 2011, 09:21:07 pm ---I mean laz, can or could tend to fall under grammatical mood or modality.

--- End quote ---

Ah ok. Well, in one example we have with laz from the dothraki 101 post it doesn't seem like it changes the verb in any way.

We have:

Me kaffe rek tokikes.
"It crushed that fool."

and then:

Me laz kaffe rek tokikes.
"It could crush that fool."

The verb crushed remains the same = kaffe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version