Author Topic: Khal Drogo  (Read 66932 times)

Kade

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Khal Drogo
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 08:22:21 am »
Hey there,

i was just browsing and found your pics online. I must say, very nice job so far. I don't do cosplay or whatnot, but i do combat sports where armor counts for something, so armor for me needs to actually be functional and the Dothraki belt and woven armor is perfect. I actually build a lot of armor, some of which is here http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kades-Work-Bench/257518650948433

I just thought that i would share some of my work. None of it is intended to be a recreation, just an inspired by sort of thing.

Here is what i put together over the weekend.

I took some liberties with it. Since you only ever see it from the front really, and i didn't feel like re watching an episode to check the back, i put some different patchwork styles in the back figuring that it already looks like patchwork armor, so it makes sense that they would use whatever they had on hand.

Closer look at the center. I used lions because that's what i already had on hand from another project and they looked good there. So much so that i decided to make a belt with it.

Here is the belt which will go right under the gut belt. I need to add a ton more braids.

Skxawng

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 12:36:04 pm »
Looking very nice! I might just copy that arm guard design for my  ancient Celtic outfit. Perhaps not perfectly authentic, but looks to be very useable and effective.

If you haven't, you might check out Van Dyke's Taxidermy supply for casting resins and epoxies. They have many different grades of this kind of material.
Word, I'll check that in the future.  The armguard is pretty good, actually. I imagine with some rods running along the arm it'd be quite functional for slashing protection.

While I hate all the leather and animal material happening here (vegan) I love the concept! Totally into themeing it up and going Dothraki!
Yeah! My thoughts are 'balls to the wall or not at all' when it comes to this type of thing

Awesome work, Skxawng. I am actually in the preliminary stages of making a Khal Drogo costume for halloween as well. I was thinking of using Etsy to have the belt and wrist guards made, but seeing what you've done is making me wonder if I wouldn't be better off designing the costume myself. I think the trickiest bit will be the golden horses belt worn by Khal Drogo during the wedding. I think it's a really cool addition to the costume, but it may be too tricky to pull off.

It was definitely a time sink, between sculpting it, casting, and making them into a belt its taken as much time as the girdle has.

For other aspects, I've bought a 60" long wig on Amazon, a pirate's beard, and some miniature brass and silver bells to put in the wig (in the book, this is mentioned more than once that Drogo has bells in his hair and I thought it would make a nice touch anyway). Also bought some blue body paint and a Raccoon Tail Faux Fur Pillow Cover to use as a pelt under the belt (sort of like a loin cloth). So really, what's left is the hard part - the leather work and the jewelry.

Thanks for sharing these, they'll be helpful in the making of my own costume. I also plan on being able to communicate in Dothrak as much as I can, and I'm going to go P90X over the next three months and I should be able to bulk up enough by Halloween.

Glad to know there are others out there so dedicated; and I thought I was getting an early start! You're an inspiration! ;)
Glad to be a positive influence on you!! The blue paint'll probably be just some acrylic paint for me ;P

Ack I just noticed the dates sorry for taking so long to get back here.

If someone already has medium/long hair, I think Kanekalon fiber could be a cheap solution.
It's a japanese fiber of fake hair, low fire-sensibile and really easy to use/comb/brush (I used it to do something DIY).
It's usually used (sorry for the words-trick :P) to do fake dreads/dreadfalls and not only in the dark/cybergoth/cyber fashion but also for "normal" hair extensions.

Braiding the hair or tying them up (and tying the fake braid/ponytail with the real ones) make easy to add more hair if one pack is not enough (though insider they're really a lot!), either if a person want the tv-series hairstyle or the books one.

The hair colors are really natural and kanekalon packs are really easy to find around internet, like here

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/catalog/Kanekalon-Jumbo-Braid/.
:D

I quite hate wigs, because if they're not of very high quality they're horrible to see :(
Awesome. Awesome to the max!! I bought two of these, now I just gotta figure out how to add them to my hair!!

Kade - can't see any of your images :/

Finishing. Everything. Up.

I've got a mad 3 day dash to get everything done before i head up to philly for halloween. I'll be going to work as drogo as well, so thursday night is the absolute deadline. I expect to have to stay up very late in the coming days.

The biggest thing that's been keeping me busy is the hide sash, which I realized was there while scrutinizing screenshots of drogo in order to figure out the ceremonial loincloth. Past that, I've also been working on the ceremonial loincloth. Tonight I sewed on the feathers to the sides, and dyed it to match the pants/girdle. Tomorrow night I weave together a bunch of jute bundles with beads and attach it to the front of the ceremonial loincloth, as well as figuring out a good way to attach it to myself securely. I'll also need to fix up / add to the hide sash, and do the finishing touches on the knives before i paint them on wednesday.

Thats another problem. In sunlight or Incandescent light, all of the leather looks very very red :miffed:  It faded after drying - when I initially applied it it seemed perfect. Sooo tomorrow I go to tandy's to pick up some light blue or green leather dye. My hope is that the additional color will muddy up the red, and at the very least cause it to be far darker than successive layers of the Mahogany Brown dye is accomplishing.  I figure it'd be better to be very dark than very red, ultimately.  A bit of a lesson though: when you do tests of leather dye, do it on very large pieces of leather instead of thumb-sized pieces, so you can see how it turns out on a wide scale.

That said, it'll look fine at night. I'll just need to fix it somehow before I go to a con.

Sorry for the crappy shots. I need a new camera. Hopefully I'll be able to get some high quality photos from my coworkers on friday of the completed deal. For now though, these will have to do:

Left to do is ... get the hair extensions in, figure out how to attach to my hair. Figure out a beard extension, buy and figure out how to apply mascara/eye shadow, shave my eyebrow a bit, temporarily dye my hair and beard dark black, finish the knives, try to finish the arakh (probably won't) get my boots from zappos (tomorrow!) Another big thing is to shave off sections of hide on the sash and dye from the back  so that its not so white and clean, giving it the effect of longtime use, cut it up a bit more so its less like an amalgamation of hide scraps. Then I need to finish the back of the girdle so that the buckles arent out in the open and there's not a space in my lower back. Figure out the blue paint, put it in a bottle that I can carry and easily apply. Finish antiquing medallion beads (there are a few lacking) Get some gauze, dye it offwhite for the hands ... work out ... and go yell some dothraki at my friends :)

Very excited!

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 01:30:14 pm »
And rightly so, skxawng! That looks very nice on you, and should be an effective outfit.

What kind of hair-on hide did you use?

And Kade, where did you get those awesome lion medallions?

I am going to try an avatar for Halloween. Just missed an opportunity to do a Klingon.
Nevertheless, if I can ever find the time, I should try my hand at some of this kind of leatherwork.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Skxawng

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 07:23:48 pm »
I'm done!!

Well not quite. I'm going to be re-making a few things as I've learned a great deal after wearing it for a day and a night and it took a bit of a beating. I had to make some rush adjustments after work friday, a few fixes to the loincloth, a remaking of a beltstring, a few other things. I now know a great deal more about what is durable and what is weak, as far as a few things are concerned. 

I had an absolutely excellent response to the costume. I'm definitely going to continue to improve it and wear it at conventions. So much fun!

Better pictures in the future!

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 11:04:39 am »
Incredible job! Athdavrazar! That is an absolutely amazing costume and an amazing craftsmanship. I definitely need to commission you to make me some Khaleesi gloves with all that extra leather scraps you have! :)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 08:46:06 pm »
Now that is truly first-rate awesome!

I really like it when people go to the trouble (and it is often a considerable amount of trouble) to make a truly authentic and functional costume. Any kudos you got for that costume were very well deserved!

Kade

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 10:37:35 pm »

That does look awesome...i love it.

Drawer pulls from Menards. I cut off the ring and did some painting with gold leaf.

Skxawng

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 02:55:42 pm »
Incredible job! Athdavrazar! That is an absolutely amazing costume and an amazing craftsmanship. I definitely need to commission you to make me some Khaleesi gloves with all that extra leather scraps you have! :)
Thanks a bunch!! I'm really happy with most of it!!
They looks pretty easily done, though I may have  to purchase more leather as the scraps i do have are thicker and would be better suited for belts. Additionally I'm not sure how I'd figure out how to fit it to your hands ... Shoot me an email (zombat at gmail)  if you're serious and we can talk more. :)

I really like it when people go to the trouble (and it is often a considerable amount of trouble) to make a truly authentic and functional costume. Any kudos you got for that costume were very well deserved!
Thanks!! And same. I figured that if I was to try the costume I'd have to go all the way with it.  The few dothraki phrases I knew helped out a lot too, as far as embodying the character. When people said garbled stuff to me i'd respond with 'ahna acharak vos ale" and a few people recognized that I wasn't jabbering back with nonsense. :) I ran into a few Na'vi characters and they didn't understand it when I asked them if they also spoke Na'vi, and were real na'vi. Nope.

That does look awesome...i love it.
Drawer pulls from Menards. I cut off the ring and did some painting with gold leaf.

Thanks, and good idea with the medallions, resourceful!! I like it!

Here are some more photos!!  Once I re-do everything and when a Con comes around I'll be getting a spray tan and getting some more professional photos taken, hopefully on horseback! Until then, these are the best:

Additionally, if I might shamelessly self-promote, I made a reddit post and I'm lookin for some support on getting others to see it. If you guys like my costume please vote it up!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:11:44 pm by Skxawng »

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 12:34:29 am »
Thanks!! And same. I figured that if I was to try the costume I'd have to go all the way with it.  The few dothraki phrases I knew helped out a lot too, as far as embodying the character. When people said garbled stuff to me i'd respond with 'ahna acharak vos ale" and a few people recognized that I wasn't jabbering back with nonsense. :)

If they only knew....  :)
Did you mean {b]anha[/b] instead of ahna?

I ran into a few Na'vi characters and they didn't understand it when I asked them if they also spoke Na'vi, and were real na'vi. Nope.

Keftxo! ke tsun fo pivlltxe lì'fyat leNa'vi  ;) What is this world coming to?

I was going to do Na'vi Monday, but chose (wisely) in the end not to. Most people at work wore a very simple mask or a hair piece, if they wore anything at all (good eats made up for the poor costumes, though). I ended up wearing a cap that made my head look like the top of a lion's head.

emski444

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 04:37:26 pm »
my boyfriend and i had been wanting to be khaleesi and khal for halloween and luckly you had this blog and with your help we came up with these costumes...on a budget so what do you think?

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 07:04:06 pm »
Athdavrazar! That 'taint bad, either!

Your_Khaleesi

• Dothraki Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 06:25:04 am »
@Skxawng

Ur costume is absolutely breathtaking!!!!!!!!! U look nearly exactly like him, just let ur hair grow :D
Its amazing, i wished u could be here, i need u for a photoproject ;-)

@emski444
the pics looks also pretty good, just the pants of him looks a bit like indian style  :D

Skxawng

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 05:21:14 pm »
Apologies for the late response! I took a long vacation shortly after halloween and have been more or less occupied and disconnected from the internet.

my boyfriend and i had been wanting to be khaleesi and khal for halloween and luckly you had this blog and with your help we came up with these costumes...on a budget so what do you think?

I'd say it turned out pretty darn good! My one issue, as has already been brought up, would be the pants which seem a little bit too loose, but whatever. Very clearly a Khal Drogo, and a good one too! I just wish I had your boyfriend's skin tone!

@Skxawng
Ur costume is absolutely breathtaking!!!!!!!!! U look nearly exactly like him, just let ur hair grow :D
Its amazing, i wished u could be here, i need u for a photoproject ;-)

Thanks!