Author Topic: IRC chats among ourselves  (Read 33896 times)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: IRC chats among ourselves
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 11:56:16 pm »
Zhey Hrakkar, if you are running Mozilla Firefox then their Chatzilla plugin works great! :)

Thanks for the advice. I might try that here at home. Generally though, linux (which I run at home exclusively) has better tools of this type than Windows.

The problem at work is more likely the University firewall blocking port 6667 or whatever it is.

I just tried IRC server here and it is at least communicating with the server. Important first step! ;-)
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 02:20:02 pm »
There was still three of us present (me and Daenerys disturbing ingsve from watching TV ... oh and ochristi lurking around, too), which is pretty low number of participants, but all things considered still enough for a conversation. Maybe we should nail monday 5PM PDT as a regular higher than average possibilty to meet someone active at IRC time? D.J. Peterson said he might sometimes stop by without annoucement, if he knew the meetup times, so that'd be bonus.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 11:26:37 pm »
There was still three of us present (me and Daenerys disturbing ingsve from watching TV ... oh and ochristi lurking around, too), which is pretty low number of participants, but all things considered still enough for a conversation. Maybe we should nail monday 5PM PDT as a regular higher than average possibilty to meet someone active at IRC time? D.J. Peterson said he might sometimes stop by without annoucement, if he knew the meetup times, so that'd be bonus.

OK, let's try that and see how it the turnout is.

So the time is:

5 pm Pacific Daylight time (mondays)
1 am British Summer Time (early tueday morning)
2 am Central European Summer Time (early tueday morning)

"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 12:04:54 am »
Mondays at 5PM (PST) work for me right now! :) 

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 01:39:59 am »
David says he'll usually be watching monday night football at that time but that that doesn't stop him from stopping by from time to time.

For those that are interested David will also come on the IRC on the usual time today (sunday 1 pm PDT) to work through some more of the season 1 dialogue.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 01:56:20 am »
Monday at 5 PM works well for me (last week's availability at that time was unusual).

See you then! (Provided I get an IRC client working)

ochristi

• I am just cleaning up here.
  • Administrator
  • I am just cleaning up here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 05:07:25 pm »
Hi Hrakkar,
maybe if you can establish an ssh connection to your home, you could try tunnelling your traffic through a SOCKS connection, then set a IRC client to connect through that, that could look like:
# ssh -C -D localhost:8000 user@homeaddress -p <home port>
Then let the client connect to the proxy localhost on port 8000.
ochristi

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 05:18:45 pm »
Hi Hrakkar,
maybe if you can establish an ssh connection to your home, you could try tunnelling your traffic through a SOCKS connection, then set a IRC client to connect through that, that could look like:
# ssh -C -D localhost:8000 user@homeaddress -p <home port>
Then let the client connect to the proxy localhost on port 8000.
ochristi
Ochrsti, sounds like an interesting idea. Something to consider for the future. There is a place I can go in the building where IRC works, and I am there now.

The IRC on the webpage does not work right under Linux, but it is very close to working.

Irayo (to mix languages)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 12:35:50 am »
If there was an IRC chat today, sorry for not being there. I was stuck on a mountaintop. troubleshooting a recalcitrant TV translator.....
Needless to say, the translator won  :'(

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 10:07:42 pm »
Another recalcitrant TV translator today, zhey Hrakkar? Hmm how do you say "recalcitrant" in Dothraki? :)

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 11:20:22 am »
Vitteya Haji Halloween! :)

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 02:52:00 pm »
Same back to you, Daenerys!

October has proven to be a very tough month here. At one point, between just my boss and myself, we were trying to service one TV translator, install another translator, and do a major retrofit to our main transmitter (all at once due to vendor schedules, and the fact that we can't easily get up the higher mountains during winter. One of the sites isn't much more accessible than The Eyrie! (It even has a tramway to the site, but it needs an expensive repair right now.) Almost the moment this was finished, there was the terrible massacre of havzi zhokwa and hlizifi in Zanezville, Ohio. I was in deep mourning for several days, both for the terrible loss of 'friends', and for the fact that there is going to be tremendous pressure put on lawmakers to ban the kinds of animals we catkeepers enjoy and benefit from working with.

While all this was going on, I was also moving our old analog TV transmitter to my home, where it will become part of my little museum of broadcast technology. That is finally complete, and I can start restoration of it on my own schedule now.

In the meantime (when I have had time), I have been busy with a major upgrade to the dictionary. I  am about 2/3rds finished with it. When done, the dictionary should match the wiki in content, but be more suited to the reader/writer who needs a compact, searchable, offlineable vocabulary. I was elated last night when a test compile of the dictionary compiled without errors after about 10 days of changes!

Things are finally slowing down here, with the last busy weekend of the year before the holidays now behind me. Probably not today, but we should all get together for a chat soon.

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 10:26:10 am »
Zhey Hrakkar, hope you can make the next one! Sorry to hear about the havzi zhokwa ma hlizifi.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 12:35:42 am »
Are they still happening Mondays at 5 PM? If so, I will try to make it this coming Monday.

Daenerys

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 03:20:11 pm »
Hope to make the chat today. Working on posting the Word Groupings onto the Wiki. Not sure if I will make it back in time, unless I stay where I am at, as I might be in transit.

Zhey Hrakkar, are you going to be there? Haven't seen you in a bit. Hope you and everyone here had a wonderful Thanksgiving and for those in countries where there is no Thanksgiving, a wonderful day! :)