Author Topic: The Atlas of the Dothraki  (Read 17754 times)

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
Re: The Atlas of the Dothraki
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 12:46:46 am »
Is there a specific adjective order for Dothraki? If there isn't, then I prefer to have tith at the end of the descriptors; it seems to fit the flow better.
Not sure, but I'm inclined to keep the adjective as close to the noun it modifies as possible, rather than separating it with another noun.

Why do you use Qisi?
Qisi rek vaes - near that city. Just realized the preposition definition of qisi is only given as "about, concering," but I image its more literal meaning is near, around, by, but that's a guess so yeah.

Why did you put naqis in a verb form when it is simply describing the size of the lake, and not being stated?
naqisa is an adjective in agreement with tozara; when a singular noun is in any case other than the nominative and doesn't end in a vowel, you add -a for agreement.

What is memras and can it be replaced with rekke?
Memras is mra+me, "within it" (the lake). Yeah you can replace it with rekke. Although I'm not sure if "thirat" can be used to mean "to live" as in "to reside in, to inhabit." Spanish and English have no problem with it but Nahuatl, for example, has "yoli(a)" for "to be alive" and "chanti" or "ne(h)mi" for "to reside in," "to inhabit." I ran across the same problem in my Bible translation.

Why is allayafat in 3rd person sng. future tense?
Allayafat is in the 3s future because that's how you form purpose clauses in Dothraki, so "Yanqosor vaesi azh zhavvorsaan atak hrazef ei asshekh vallayafa mae." The people of the city gave the dragon one horse every day to please him." I just asked David Peterson about this two days ago on twitter, I'll be sure to post about this and link the tweets under the post I did about expressing purpose.

Yalli is an animate noun, so the plural accusative /-(s)is/ would be applied.
Well according to the wiki vocabulary page it's inanimate. If you're using the PDF, maybe there's a discrepancy between PDF and site?

Mas is just valuables, and would include silver.
Yup, good point, I got a little too literal in the translation.

Why did you change it to "half of his kingdom" instead of keeping the original "ohara" prize? The Dothraki aren't exactly known for their feminist views, so this change seems pointless to me.
Ah, ok. I was looking at the English version as well and just translated. If you changed the deal from "and half his kingdom" to "his daughter," that's fine then, though it doesn't make sense to me why he would want his daughter spared just to give her away. I think the Dothraki would prefer to be eaten by a dragon than be made slaves.

Dothraki is the race of people, not a descriptor of what zhey Gorj does.  Besides, he was just established as a lajak and not a dothrak.
Right, but isn't Dothraki just the plural of dothrak? Peoples all over the world refer to themselves by such descriptors. Dothrak may mean "rider," but its also used to refer to anyone of the Dothraki people, just like Mongol is believe to come from an adjective meaning "brave" and the Aztecs called themselves "nahuah" meaning "those who speak with a clear and pleasant sound." Of course in English we would say Dothraki regardless of number for the same reason we say "salami" and "panini" instead of "salamo" and "panino," we just stick with whatever form we heard first instead of dealing with plurals in another languages (but of course Latin words still use their Latin plurals, which is really confusing when people pronounce alumni /əˈlʌmnaɪ/ because that sounds like the Latin pronunciation of alumnae /aˈlum.nai/, which in English is pronounced /əˈlʌmneɪː/ and gah, just why?!) but anyways, I think it should be Dothrak haj for that reason, plus the capitalization helps distinguish between the two in writing. Also, I just realized, shouldn't his name be Jorj or Georgios depending on where you're borrowing it from, English or Greek/Latin?

Could you explain what you meant with the "Che filkay" section in parenthesis?
Sorry, meant to cut that out, just a mistake.

Also, the confusion with tozara and toraza was just a typo.  For some reason my brain remembered it as the latter (better flow, I guess?)
Haha, it happens.

Other than those notes, I'm very grateful for the time you put in to editing that. Haji!

Yeah, no problem! been really busy the past week, wasn't able to give it a proper look at it until today.
Che vezak anha os che amovek - Hannibal Barca, ko Punik.

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 07:39:09 am »
Not sure, but I'm inclined to keep the adjective as close to the noun it modifies as possible, rather than separating it with another noun.
Fair enough.

Qisi rek vaes - near that city. Just realized the preposition definition of qisi is only given as "about, concering," but I image its more literal meaning is near, around, by, but that's a guess so yeah.
I figured it was unessecary since you also had "vaes vekh tozarasi", which would tell you that the lake exists beside the lake.  It would seem a bit redundant to say "Near the town existed beside the lake".

Although I'm not sure if "thirat" can be used to mean "to live" as in "to reside in, to inhabit."
DJP seems fluid with his use of "thirat", meaning both 'life' and 'to survive'. I'm sure it's fine.

Allayafat is in the 3s future because that's how you form purpose clauses in Dothraki, so "Yanqosor vaesi azh zhavvorsaan atak hrazef ei asshekh vallayafa mae." The people of the city gave the dragon one horse every day to please him." I just asked David Peterson about this two days ago on twitter, I'll be sure to post about this and link the tweets under the post I did about expressing purpose.
That may explain it  :D.  I guess if it's from the horses mouth I shouldn't question it.

Well according to the wiki vocabulary page it's inanimate. If you're using the PDF, maybe there's a discrepancy between PDF and site?
Both the PDF and the mobile app have 'yalli' as an animate noun.  I guess by U.S. constitution rules, two thirds overrides the executive.

though it doesn't make sense to me why he would want his daughter spared just to give her away. I think the Dothraki would prefer to be eaten by a dragon than be made slaves.
Khal ma khalakki vo Dothraki, mori Valiraki. Valiraki chiftie, ma vokki athzafrazares oleth athdrivari.

Right, but isn't Dothraki just the plural of dothrak? Peoples all over the world refer to themselves by such descriptors. Dothrak may mean "rider," but its also used to refer to anyone of the Dothraki people, just like Mongol is believe to come from an adjective meaning "brave" and the Aztecs called themselves "nahuah" meaning "those who speak with a clear and pleasant sound."
I'm not exactly sure then. I guess if there's a real life example of this then we should go with that for the sake of realism. However, I think an compromise could be made by distinguishing ideas based on spelling/capitalization:
dothra- root word for the concept of 'riding'
dothrak- title for a rider
dothraki- the group of people
Dothraki- the language itself

Also, I just realized, shouldn't his name be Jorj or Georgios depending on where you're borrowing it from, English or Greek/Latin?
My logic was that the same reason why latin/greek loan words in english are a bastardization in spelling and pronunciation, the same goes for the name George in Dothraki. I guess I was trying to make the name more masculine and strong sounding with that nice, strong velar plosive at the beginning. Jorj too western of a name and too "prissy" (a dothraki perspective. Not mine!) for the protagonist of a Dothraki story.  It may also be fluid in pronunciation based on region.

(almost) Final results:

She kashi, Vaesi vekh she rhaesh tith Valiraki. Qisi rek vaes vekh tozarasi naqisa ma zhavvorsoon, fin fich athzhikhar, thir rekke m'izze rhaeshes. Yanqosor vaesi azh zhavvorsaan atak hrazef ei asshekh vallayafa mae.  Kash me vo mra qora hrazef ale, me azh maan yallisis mae; me okke yalle ki assikhqoyi. Majin at kashi, assikhqoyi okke khalakkies vadakha ki zhavvorsi. Khal vaesi haji athkhezharoon mae, asto yanqosoraan m'ast mehash me avijazeroe oharaes mae zhorre, hash me laz aqorasoe ei mas mae ma ohara mae; Vosma me zajje. Khalakki dothra tozaraan, onde vos nem vadakha ki zhavvorsi.  Vosma, lajak Gorj, dothrak haj, dothra tozarasi ma tih khalakkies.  Khalakki kis asso mae esemrasalat, vosma me akkelen vikovarerat.  Zhavvorsa yatho mra tozarasoon kash mori vaster, me zhokwa ma vo lain vosso.  Lajak Gorj gor mae, ild zhavvors ma arakhoon mae.  M'asso khalakkies ovvethat maan ime mae, majin me liwa zhavvors oleth me torga lenti zhavvorsoon.  Kash me et haz, zhavvorsa sil lajakes Gorj ven aresak.  Khalakki ma lajak Gorj fichish zhavvors vaesaan, ma jin arrokh yanqosores. Gorj oge zhavvors, ma dozgikh nem losh mra vaesoon ki tor rhaggati. Yanqosor azh lajakaan Gorj khalakkies mr'athchomaroon, ma mori dothrash niyanqoy amari khalasar mori ma aqora rhaeshes mori zhorre.  Khal vaesi move okrenegwinvojjoran ma ha Vezhofaan ma ha lajakaan Gorj she gach finne zhavvorsa drivo, m'ashefa vitha ha tozarasoon m'evethoon fini laz kolae ei athzhikhar.

P.S.
I forgot to ask about the use of "nem" in the phrase "onde vos nem vadakha ki zhavvorsi".  I guess I'm just unclear of the use of "nem" in general, so an explanation would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:53:57 am by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 06:12:56 pm »
I figured it was unessecary since you also had "vaes vekh tozarasi", which would tell you that the lake exists beside the lake.  It would seem a bit redundant to say "Near the town existed beside the lake".
Ah, no, tozarasi is the subject, vekhat takes the subject in the genitive, so "Tozarasi vekha qisi vaes." is "the Lake is near the city." or "There is a lake near the city." and "Qisi rek vaes vekh tozarasi..." is "near that city was a lake..."

That may explain it  :D.  I guess if it's from the horses mouth I shouldn't question it.
yeah, the example he gave me was "Anha dothra vaesaan aremekak" - "I rode to the city to sleep."

Both the PDF and the mobile app have 'yalli' as an animate noun.  I guess by U.S. constitution rules, two thirds overrides the executive.
Ah, but the dialogue has:
Drogo S1E7: "Anha aqorisok chiories mori, vazzafrok yal mori, ma afichak vojjor samva Vaesaan Dothrak."
"I will rape their women, take their children as slaves and bring their broken gods back to Vaes Dothrak."

High Priestess S6E4: Kisha assilaki yanqosores, kisha qoraki chiories adavranazi, mori ayyoe yal kishaan.
We conquer a people, we take the best women, they bear us children.
And in pg. 89 of Living Language: Dothraki it is listed as i.n., class B. So yalle should be inanimate and the PDF and app are wrong, so rules the Supreme Court!

Khal ma khalakki vo Dothraki, mori Valiraki. Valiraki chiftie, ma vokki athzafrazares oleth athdrivari.
Asshekh anha nesok mevenak Valirakes ale Dothrakoon.

I'm not exactly sure then. I guess if there's a real life example of this then we should go with that for the sake of realism. However, I think an compromise could be made by distinguishing ideas based on spelling/capitalization:
dothra- root word for the concept of 'riding'
dothrak - title for a rider
Dothrak - a member of the Dothraki
Dothraki- the group of people
lekh Dothraki- the Dothraki Language

My logic was that the same reason why latin/greek loan words in english are a bastardization in spelling and pronunciation, the same goes for the name George in Dothraki. I guess I was trying to make the name more masculine and strong sounding with that nice, strong velar plosive at the beginning. Jorj too western of a name and too "prissy" (a dothraki perspective. Not mine!) for the protagonist of a Dothraki story.  It may also be fluid in pronunciation based on region.
Ah, ok. Well the name has various different pronunciations depending on how g+e developed in a particular language.
Ancient Greek: Γεώγιος > Georgios
English. George > Jorj
Spanish Jorge > Khorkhe or horhe depending on dialect
German Goerg > Geork (final g pronounced as "k")
Modern Greek Γεώργιος or Γιώργος > Yeoryos or Yorgos
there are even languages that begin the name with "ch", "zh", and "sh". I'm personally a fan of Basque "Gorka", though G(e)orge or G(e)orgi might be better (both with hard G, of course).
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%93%CE%B5%CF%8E%CF%81%CE%B3%CE%B9%CE%BF%CF%82#Descendants

Also, It's a bit ironic that a Dothraki be named George since Γεώργιος comes from An. Grk. γεωργός meaning "farmer." :P

P.S.
I forgot to ask about the use of "nem" in the phrase "onde vos nem vadakha ki zhavvorsi".  I guess I'm just unclear of the use of "nem" in general, so an explanation would be appreciated.
nem makes the verb passive. e.g.
"Me hethka vadakha ki zhavvosri." - "She is ready to eat because of the dragon."

"Me hethka nem vadakha ki zhavvorsi." - "She is ready to be eaten by the dragon."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:07:01 am by HoeriVezhof »

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 07:58:50 pm »
Fini 'mevenak'?
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 01:22:05 am »
Fini 'mevenak'?

me+(anha) venak. Asshekh anha nesok + me + Anha venak Valirakes ale Dothrakoon = Asshekh anha nesok mevenak Valirakes ale Dothrakoon.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:06:18 am by HoeriVezhof »

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 08:21:12 am »
I still have no idea what you're saying with that
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 08:41:10 am »
High Priestess S6E4: Kisha assilaki yanqosores, kisha qoraki chiories adavranazi, mori ayyoe yal kishaan.
We conquer a people, we take the best women, they bear us children.
And in pg. 89 of Living Language: Dothraki it is listed as i.n., class B. So yalle should be inanimate and the PDF and app are wrong, so rules the Supreme Court!

Grra! I demand secession from the union!
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 05:11:22 pm »
I still have no idea what you're saying with that
Today I learn(1s present) me-(prefix that introduces subordinate clauses) be similar (1s pres. vtr.) Valarian(s.acc.) more(adj.) Dothraki(s.abl.)
Today I learn that (I) am similar to Valeryian more from Dothraki.
Today I learn that I am more like a Valeryian than a Dothraki.
Admittedly not sure if that's how you make a comparison of two nouns since we haven't seen an example of it, but that's what I'am TRYING to say at least.

Grra! I demand secession from the union!
"If you raise the standard of rebellion, your green fields will be wash'd with the blood of your people and your country laid desolate by the flames of civil discord! If you attempt to pull down the pillars of the Republic, you shall be crush'd into atoms."

And my attempt to translate this cuz I thought it was a pretty bad-ass quote:

"Hash yeri ayyathi khiri nem aholi kisha, hash ramasar dahaan yeri nem vaffisa ki qoyi yanqosori yeri, rhaesh yeri nem veddavrasae ki vorsakhi athekelenazari! Hash yeri kis ohhari feshithis negwin kemikisiri, hash yeri akaffi vodaan."

ayyathat - raise
eddavrasalat - to make desolate, make useless
athekelenazar - kelen + negative + nominalizer - disorder, discord
feshith negwin - "stone trees" - pillar
kemikisir - alliance, confederation, union

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 08:54:26 am »
More bad news:

My laptop is going to be a $400 fix and a three week wait  >:(.  This is a huge bummer and stint to my school and hobbies.  The project is going to be on hiatus for a lot longer than expected, and until then I'm just going to be researching pre-established Dothraki lore, incorporating the lore to my notes, expanding on the three stories I have rough drafts for, and translating said stories. No new content can be added, just revising of what I have so far.
Hajas!

Disclaimer: All of this content is fan made material and does not claim to be apart of the canon universe established in the Game of Thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire franchise.  The work here will not be published or sold for monetary gain, and thus does not violate any of the copyright claims and trademarks that HBO, Bantam Books, or any other company have in the franchise.
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 01:26:05 pm »
Dothraki Heirarchy:

The dothraki have a vague, but noticable structure of power within the khalasar.  Though respecting these roles are a large component of Dothraki culture, titles and positions can easily change based upon the condition of those in charge, and placement is constantly shifting based upon the strength of the individual. The basic structure is as follows:

Khal- the commander of the whole khalasar. Makes decisions for the khalasar and acts as figure head.  Position can be inhereted through birth, but if the descendant shows to be weak a stronger dothraki can kill the child and take the khalasar for themselves (often times this is done by a ko of the khal).

Ko- A bloodrider of the khal. Personal friend, adviser and sub commander for the khal, often holding great prestige in the khalasar and in other dothraki hordes. Sometimes shares the wife of the khal, but only at the khal's consent.  They act as khas as well, and lead the khalasar into battle with the khal.

Khaleesi- Main wife of the khal. Often married to a khal as a political agreement between two khalasars. No real power within the khalasar, but are still respected as an important figure in the horde; garners the same respect as a ko, but not the influence. A khal can give a khaleesi power to act as an intimate advisor, but this is a very rare occurence and has only been once formally documented with the marriage of Danaerys Targaryen and Khal Drogo.  When the khal dies, the khaleesi retires to Vaes Dothrak, where she becomes a khaleen and governs the city and religion of the Dothraki alongside other khaleen.

Kha- a general in the khalasar. They command subdivisions of the khalasar, but only by proxy. They do not give advise or input to the khal, but only carry actions on his behalf.

Khalakka/khalakki- Son or daughter of the khal. Respected in the same way as their mother, and given about as much power. Khalakka, if proven to not be a chiftik, will take their father's throne.  Daughters will either be married to a Ko or a khal from another khalasar.

Akkelenak- A well respected commander within the khalasar. Does not attend Dosh khasi, but just relays information to the khalasar second hand from the khas.

Lajak- An informal leader among men in the khalasar; a ring leader of sorts.  They usually gain notoriety through fame in battle. Lajak Can overthrow an akkelenak and take their title if they prove themselves to be stronger than them.

Awazak- Brutal warriors in the horde. Similar to the "beserker" stereotype on viking ships. No real power or authority, but still respected.

Dothrak- The basic warrior. Trained in all types of warfare and brutality.

Women and children- there to either give birth or train for adulthood.

Koalak/koalakhtihan/koalakeesi- Healers for the khalasar.  Almost often a slave taken from some city.

Movek- craftsman for the dothraki. Slaves given to the khalasar that are seen as "valuable" due to a trade that they specialize in. Often times the slave is a weapon maker, animal caretaker or entertainer

Zafra- Slaves. They are taken by the dothraki in raids to serve them, either by doing lowly jobs, perform sexual acts for warriors, or just to be given to the free cities by the dothraki. Lowest position in the khalasar

Khalasar unit sizes

Khalasar "a king's collection"- 25,000-50,000 dothraki. Commanded by the Khal.
Zirisisir "a collection of segments"- 5,000-15,000 dothraki. Commanded by a Ko.
Lajasar "a collection of fighters"- 2,000-4,000 dothraki. Commanded by a Kha.
Asar "a collection of commands"- 100-500 dothraki. Commanded by an Akkelenak.
Kemasar "a collection of connections"- 25-50 dothraki. informally lead by a Lajak

Dothraki pantheon

Vezhven- the all powerful and all present god of the Dothraki.  Creator of the world and ruler of the universe. He leads his great khalasar through the nightlands as he governs the events, omens and fate of the day and night. Greatest and most powerful god of all the world.

Shekh- the ko of Vezhven and a major deity of the Dothraki. Sees over the events of the day and represents the spirit of men. Is responsible for fire, war and exhilliration. Husband of the moon.

Jalan- the kha of Vezhven and a major deity of the Dothraki. Sees over the events of the day and represents the spirit of women. Is responsible for water, healing and companionship. Wife of the sun.

Vezh fini asaja rhaesheseres- the warrior that will unit all the dothraki and conquer the world. Will become a major deity when they succeed in world domination.

Chinshi- the eldest child of Shekh and Jalan.  She is a minor deity and is the spirit of sex, love and physical pleasure. Often appears as female, but in some stories (often told to a group of girls) Chinshi is male. Defining characteristics include lusty, vengeful, beautiful, and emotional.

Rhakko- the second child of Shekh and Jalan. He is a minor deity and is the spirit of hunting, war and victory.  Always appears as a male lion, with a great, white mane.  Defining characteristics include respected, wrathful, hubris and elegant.

Jiwa- the youngest child of Shekh and Jalan. Jiwa is a minor deity and is the spirit of trickery and joy.  Never specified as male or female, but just described as a fox that stands upright and has human hands.  Defining characteristics include sneaky, jovial, malicious and clever.

Disclaimer: All of this content is fan made material and does not claim to be apart of the canon universe established in the Game of Thrones or A Song of Ice and Fire franchise.  The work here will not be published or sold for monetary gain, and thus does not violate any of the copyright claims and trademarks that HBO, Bantam Books, or any other company have in the franchise.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:39:02 pm by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 04:43:00 pm »
Wow! I've missed all this. See what happens when you get too busy?
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 09:10:11 am »
Oh boy have I.  Hopefully refining what I have and brainstorming on the forum will be a nice break while I get other things done.
My name means butt swarm

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 09:18:09 am »

I was still confused by the structure of this so I went back to the wiki and checked it, and found that this is structured incorrectly.

The verb needs to be modified using the adjective comparison affixes, so "avenanat" would be used instead of "venat"

Anha must be used twice. The Schrutean compound is too vague in this context.

Valirak isn't in the accusative, and ale isn't used.

Asshekh anha nesok meanha avenanak Valirak, Dothrakoon.

But I don't really like how this is phrased in general and I think it can actual be made into a complex sentence by changing the wording:

Assekh anha ezak mevaliraki allayafi anna, ma Valiraki adavrani Dothrakoa.

At which a Dothrak would overhear your conversation and respond with, "Hiles yera, ziri"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:03:59 am by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 08:05:43 pm »

I was still confused by the structure of this so I went back to the wiki and checked it, and found that this is structured incorrectly.

The verb needs to be modified using the adjective comparison affixes, so "avenanat" would be used instead of "venat"...Valirak isn't in the accusative, and ale isn't used.
ah, yup, avenanat makes more sense. I put Valirak in the accusative because the dictionary says venat is a transitive verb, though I could see it being treated as a pseudo-copula and taking its object in the nominative.

Anha must be used twice. The Schrutean compound is too vague in this context.
It's not a Schrutean compound, me- is a subordinating prefix that always attaches to the first word in the subordinate clause. As for vagueness, as someone who speaks a pro-drop language, the context makes the meaning clear: m'avenanak is quite clearly a 1s verb in agreement with nesok, no pronoun necessary.

Asshekh anha nesok meanha avenanak Valirak, Dothrakoon.

But I don't really like how this is phrased in general and I think it can actual be made into a complex sentence by changing the wording:

Assekh anha ezak mevaliraki allayafi anna, ma Valiraki adavrani Dothrakoa.

At which a Dothrak would overhear your conversation and respond with, "Hiles yera, ziri"
Eh, that's not the same thing though. I'm not making a judgement-call on the Dothraki's view of life and slavery, quite the opposite; I'm try to subtly say that I'm cowardly like the Valyrians for preferring self-preservation over dignity, for preferring slavery to death. For that reason I still prefer Asshekh anha nesok m'avenanak Valirakes Dothrakoon.

Khal_Qana

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2017, 12:21:43 pm »
New constellation map that I made.
I included a zodiac system that the Dothraki have for personal omens that they use to make decisions in their life.  Based on a 12 year cycle that reset on 297 AC, the year ASOIAF first takes place.

Krazaaj- strong. unwavering in opinion. patient. stubborn; 261, 273, 285, 297, 309, 321, 333

Kohol- quick. flexible. tolerant. 262, 274, 286, 298, 310, 322, 334

Kolver- pugnacious. fierce. lawful. consistent. 263, 275, 287, 299, 311, 323, 335

Hrazef- proud. dutiful. reliable. 264, 276, 288, 300, 312, 324, 336

Feldekh- graceful. merciful. passionate. 265, 277, 289, 301, 313, 325, 337

Arakh- alert. ruthless. 266, 278, 290, 302, 314, 326, 338

Feshtith- quiet. wise. useful. 267, 279, 291, 303, 315, 327, 339

Shiro- defensive. deadly. secretive. incognito. 268, 280, 292, 304, 316, 328, 340

Gezri- talented. deceptive. sexual. 269, 281, 293, 305, 317, 329, 341

Zhani- blunt. honest. impartial. 270, 282, 294, 306, 318, 330, 342

Ashefa- benevolent. giving. kind. fundamental. 271, 283, 295, 307, 319, 331, 343

Zhavvorsa- traditional. hubris. imposing. leading. opinionated. 272, 284, 296, 308, 319, 332, 345

Besides showing favorable omens to the Dothraki, the zodiac are a brief and rough form of quantifying time.  If you were to ask Danaerys how old she was, she would probably give you a set number of years (Anha mra qora senthi firesof), since westerners have a far more concrete view of time. However, if you were to ask Khal Drogo, he would probably respond with "Anha tih firesof anni atak" or "I have seen my year twice", since the Dothraki really have no reason at all to keep track of time (no fields to plough, no history to write). They are, however, still human, and understand the passage of time, so using 12 year templates of keeping track of time is used. Drogo's response would put him anywhere from 24 to about 35; a decent age for a Khal.  People like Jorah Mormont, who understand Dothraki culture, would probably use the Dothraki system when speaking with them and would say "Anha tih firesof anni tor", which would be a very old man to the Dothraki (some do not see their third, most do not see their fourth, only a few have ever seen their fifth).

There are a few other constellations that are important beyond showing omens.

Tirak- "the pointer". It is in the shape of a pointing finger, and at the end of the pointing finger is the north star.

Chanshi- the constellation of the minor deity Chanshi

Rhakko- the constellation of the minor deity Rhakko

Jiwa- the constellation of the minor deity Jiwa

Ashefa- despite being a zodiac sign, it's also the longest constellation in the sky, and it spans across the entire horizon line

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:58:36 pm by Choyosor »
My name means butt swarm