Learn Dothraki > Dothraki Language Updates

Dothraki Bible Translation

<< < (2/6) > >>

HoeriVezhof:
Haha, yup! I'm pretty sure I put more work into this project the last two days than I did the previous two months! One thing's for sure, though: I don't plan on waking up before noon or sleeping before 2:00am for the next week or so and dedicating my free time to this project, my conlang, 3% on Netflix, and maybe finally getting to the A Song of Ice and Fire books ;D

Hrakkar:
Athdavrazar! Major Kudos to you zhey HoeriVezhof! I am really interested in seeing the Bible translated into conlangs, and for a while worked on such a program to translate the Bible into the Na'vi language. In that project, we were not creating any words except proper names. That made coming up with a lot of terminology tough to do, especially because the Na'vi are essentially hunter-gatherers. Dothraki on one had contains a lot more culturally appropriate settings for the Biblical world, but lacks a lot of the 'kind' language needed for much of scripture. Coining additional words is a great idea but with one caveat I think you are already aware of: We can't add any of these new words to the official lexicon becuse all words added there either have to come from David Peterson, or be approved by him (which has happened a couple of times in the past). However, this is novel enough that I will share this project with David.

In any case, I'm looking forward to looking over your work when I have more time.

Keep up the good work and God bless!

P.S. I stickied this thread!

HoeriVezhof:
Thank you! I love translation in general, especially as it's generally a good learning exercise and boy is this one one!

--- Quote from: Hrakkar on December 12, 2016, 12:57:26 am ---Coining additional words is a great idea but with one caveat I think you are already aware of: We can't add any of these new words to the official lexicon becuse all words added there either have to come from David Peterson, or be approved by him (which has happened a couple of times in the past).
--- End quote ---

Yes, I completely understand that these new words are not official and shouldn't be added to the official lexicon without David Peterson's approval. All these new words are, however, derived from Dothraki words only using the derivational morphology listed here in the Wiki and inferences I've made based on canon examples. Most are fairly straight forward:

mesilat [to be pregnant] + (s)o [dynamic] = mesisolat [to become pregnant]

others required a bit of creativity, but make sense (to me, at least) as a plausable gloss:

hethkat [to be ready, prepared] + [causative] = ahhethkat [to make ready, prepare (the land), i.e. to till]

and lastly, some is just a placeholder or just the English in brackets if I see no clear derivation:

athesinasozar gillosori [changing of the weather, i.e. season] placeholder

I just added the new words' derivations on to the Bible Vocabulary page which I'll update after this post.

--- Quote from: Hrakkar on December 12, 2016, 12:57:26 am ---That made coming up with a lot of terminology tough to do, especially because the Na'vi are essentially hunter-gatherers. Dothraki on one had contains a lot more culturally appropriate settings for the Biblical world, but lacks a lot of the 'kind' language needed for much of scripture.
--- End quote ---

The lack of 'kind' language is a problem, fortunately that hasn't been too much of a problem in Genesis for now. If I ever get to Psalms, though...*shudders* Dothraki also doesn't have a lot of agricultural vocabulary, which presents a problem as well.

--- Quote from: Hrakkar on December 12, 2016, 12:57:26 am ---...this is novel enough that I will share this project with David.

In any case, I'm looking forward to looking over your work when I have more time.

Keep up the good work and God bless!
--- End quote ---

Thank you so much again! Hopefully I will have already correct the countless errors I've caught having gone over what I have done so far!

--- Quote from: Hrakkar on December 12, 2016, 12:57:26 am ---P.S. I stickied this thread!

--- End quote ---

;D

HoeriVezhof:
M'ath! Footnotes, Hyperlinks, and a TON more corrections!

So, yeah, I lied when I said there wouldn't be so many corrections next time. Most were minor grammar and typo corrections, some were a change in vocabulary (e.g. Athevar instead of evo, drogikheya instead of rhoa drogikhi. The only major changes were to Gen1:26-27, which I changed to:

[26]Majin Vojjor ast, "Movelates kisha mahrazhes fin vena kisha, vekhates venikhi kishi mra mori;  javrathates?[to rein in; to rule, to reign] eshin havazhi, ma zir asavvi, ma drogikhey, ma ei ivezhe she sorfosor, ma ei filkakis fini filki she sorfosor." 27Majin Vojjor move mahrazhes venikhaan Mae, venikhaan Vojjores move me mora; mahrazhes ma chiories move me.

I'm still not sure if I'm satisfied with it, though.

I also added Footnotes to each chapter. the footnotes contain details about the original hebrew and other text (these taken mostly from my English source) and alternative translation either offered by the English source or provided by me. I've also added hyperlinks to the footnotes as well as to the chapter on a table of contents to make navigating the documents easier.

I think I'm done when it comes to formatting the docs, and I'll be translating each chapter at a slower and more careful pace from now on to avoid such a huge amount of corrections.

HoeriVezhof:
Quite a few changes again, although this time most have to do with expressing purpose, something I've had a lot of trouble with in Dothraki. I'll be writing up a post on what I've found concerning expressing purpose in Dothraki, but for now everything I uncovered has been implemented in this translation.

Some of the more common or systematic changes were:

all instances of Khal > VEZHAK in small caps
Changed treatment of rhoa from inanimate to animate and changed bare stem from rho to rhoa in all words derived from it.
Removed all instanced of hash were not needed e.g. "Hash fin yer ray et?" [Gen 3:13]
Gen 5 - all instances of ei ashekhi fini X thir meshes > ei asshekhi atthirari X jadish; mra qora > yolish maan; me e avesaan X > X yol maan; irge athyolari X > irge X yol; makhalaleqel to mahalaleqel; Noah > Noakh

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version