Author Topic: HELLO EVERYONE  (Read 4417 times)

nube

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
HELLO EVERYONE
« on: August 10, 2014, 07:51:11 pm »
Hey there everyone. I am new to the world of forums and to the expanded language of Dothraki and Valyrian. I am doing research on individuals who study and develop the language. I would appreciate any help in learning as much as I can. I am trying to complete a documentary in which individuals would talk about their methods to becoming fluent in the language. I am looking to show how the development of this language  has influenced the lives of everyday people. Is there a specific group of people I should speak to?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:55:39 pm by nube »

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
Re: HELLO EVERYONE
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:33:35 am »
Hello there.
There are plenty of people you might want to talk to: me, Ingsve, Hrakkar, Mad Latinist, Sunquan ... even David J. Peterson himself. Possibly also some newer or less visible people.

Some reality check notes, though. People often have a bit off presuppositions.

1) Dothraki is one language, Valyrian is a family of closely related languages (or distant dialects) to which Dothraki does not belong to. We are more or less familiar with High Valyrian, Astapori Valyrian and Meereen Valyrian, but know that there are others, most notably the languages of Free Cities.

2) Valyrians and Dothraki are all developed by one person, Mr. Peterson. We here on the forum are not involved in the development (save for some random conversations and feedback that might have given an idea or two).

3) Fluency in a language is very hard to achieve, fluency in a not-even-fully-public conlang is a much harder goal still. Some newbies have fluency as their initial aim, some old ones hold it as a distant target, but mostly we have humbler or just different goals.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

nube

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: HELLO EVERYONE
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:01:49 am »
Thank you very much for the information. I will post the details of my project in the general discussions section.