Learn Dothraki > Beginners

Ingsve's translation project

(1/2) > >>

ingsve:
So, ever since I got involved in learning Dothraki I've had this idea of translating various cards from the A Game of Thrones CCG into Dothraki. This thread will be the beginning of this project. I will be gathering various translations and words in need of translating etc. I welcome any suggestions about how to do various translations etc so feel free to join in and help wherever you feel you can be useful.

To give an example of what I'm talking about I have attached a card for reference.

Each card generally contains a name (Khal Drogo), one or more traits (Dothraki, Lord), keywords (renown), some type of action and some flavor text.

ingsve:
I haven't decided how many or what cards to translate yet but I'm guessing I'll choose depending on what sounds interesting to translate. Here I'll start be posting the most common words that appear on cards to have somewhere to start to find translations.

Phases:
Plot
Draw - athfichari
Marshalling
Challenges
Dominance
Standing

Traits:
Dothraki - Dothraki
Lord
Ally
Weapon - vov
Creature - rhoa
Title
Condition
Queensguard
Knight
Army - Lajasar
Free Cities - Vaes Seris
The East - Titha
King - Khal
Queen - Khaleesi
Bastard
Mercenary
Unsullied

Keywords:
Renown - Athhakesozar
Stealth -
No attachments -
Setup -
Deadly - k'athdrivari
Immune to [] -

Other common words:
kneel - avvemo/avvemolat
stand -akkovari/akkovarat
attached
character -
kill - addrivi
discard -
strength - athhajar
military
intrigue
power
choose - okki
card -
ability -
effect -
pay - azhi
put into play -
play -
draw - fichi/fichat
triggered -
target -
opponent - dozgo
power -
deck - san

Some of these are straight forward while others will need a lot of creativity to come up with.

Qvaak:
That'll be a heck of an undertaking. Good luck.

Do you intent to keep this going, filling the holes and fixing the awkward struktures, as we learn more, or is this more doing the best you can and then living with the results kind of project?

ingsve:

--- Quote from: Qvaak on August 09, 2011, 01:04:13 pm ---That'll be a heck of an undertaking. Good luck.

Do you intent to keep this going, filling the holes and fixing the awkward struktures, as we learn more, or is this more doing the best you can and then living with the results kind of project?

--- End quote ---

The ultimate goal is to translate the cards themselves into Dothraki in some type of image editor so when I get that far I would consider it a final version but there might be changes along the way before I reach that point.

ingsve:
The furst problem has already appeared. The game uses two distinct traits, king and lord, that obviously have different meanings. From what we know however the Dothraki would most likely use the same word (Khal) when referring to both of these titles. So what to do? I guess it could fit to use the term ko to refer to a Lord since it sort of represents a similar power balance with Khal that exists between a King and a Lord. Another way could be to use some type of adjective modifier on Khal to distinquish a King from a Lord. Not sure what that would be yet though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version