Author Topic: I think it would be nice for a general chat the be kept....  (Read 16651 times)

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
Re: I think it would be nice for a general chat the be kept....
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 11:09:49 pm »
David confirmed my vague recollection. For knowing a language you use shilat.
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 12:39:49 pm »
Thanks, zhey Qvaak for the enlightenment. I'll adjust those definitions accordingly. So then, we have Anha shilak lekhes Dothraki. That's nice, too.
Don't tell Khal Drogo I am here ;)

Halahhi

• Anha torga essheyi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 06:14:42 am »
there would be no problem with copy right with peoples names etc as people are free to create their own t'shirts the only thing you would have to check is if you do wish to sell them instead of keeping them within a group. There would be no copy right problems with putting a language on a top either!!! thats like saying i cant have a top in french without asking the french. To be honest i think they would be happy for the publicity more than anything else.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 07:02:30 pm »
A lot depends on who you are dealing with. Fox, for instance, has been great with the Na'vi folks so far, and it looks like HBO has been about the same with GoT fans of all types. On the other side, Paramount keeps a pretty god hold on the Klingon folks, although the Klingon folks have earned themselves a lot of leeway by 'behaving'. And then there is Disney. I am surprised they don't have a lawyer in every movie theater!

All that said, I don't think HBO would say much-- if they can even say anything-- if we made some shirts for use within our community. The only pace where there might be problems is if we came up with something that casts HBO or GoT in a negative light. And I don't think anyone here is interested in doing that.

Qvaak

• someone
    • View Profile
    • qvaak-dot-kuutikkaat
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 10:51:21 am »
David himself linked this some time ago on Twitter:
http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1212a&L=conlang&P=93103
I think it's a good summary on legal side of the matter.
Game of Thrones is not The Song of Ice and Fire, sweetling. You'll learn that one day to your sorrow.

Hrakkar

• Administrator
  • Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 11:17:36 am »
Interesting. Written by a very respected conlanger in the LCS community.

What I take away from that is that the only area where there might be a problem with T-shirts is 'trade dress' (no puns intended!). And most of that can be avoided by not using character names or recognizable quotes or slogans from GoT canon. So, me nem nesa might be gray area, hash yer dothrae chek nearly 'white', and Anha shilak lekhes Dothraki either white or gray, depending on you you view the word Dothraki which on one hand would be a GRRM/HBO proterty work and on the other hand, a title for a language.