Author Topic: new and excited  (Read 7085 times)

unicorn-backpack

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
new and excited
« on: January 07, 2017, 08:55:45 pm »
m'ath! I'm new here and figured I'd join up and stop lurking.

i really love new languages and have always wanted to learn a fictional one, but never found any that suited my interests. Dothraki sounds AMAZING and I just love watching clips of the actors from the show (i dont watch the show but my mom does) speak. So i decided to learn it! My husband won't learn it with me, because he thinks its pointless to learn a language he will never use (even though he could use it with me) so thats why im joining the forum, to have people to talk to!

I have barely started, but memerise actually works well for me so i am using that paired with some pronunciation flash cards i found, some youtube videos on grammar and the dictionary. If there are other resources that might help I'd love to know! But so far everything i'm doing is working well.

There are some grammar issues with me, so its nice to have a place where i can ask questions if i need to. my main issue is just remembering which -lat and -at verbs become what with which pronoun. I am working on that though!

anyways, i love making new friends so feel free to message me!

hajas,

Unicorn-Backpack

Khal_Qana

• Dothraki fan looking for some friends to talk to
    • View Profile
Re: new and excited
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 10:15:50 pm »
Athchomar chomakaan! Good to see another enthusiastic member here on the forum! 

If you're looking for some good Dothraki learning sources, I suggest starting with the Dothraki Language Handbook, written by the creator of Dothraki, David J Peterson.  It goes over the basics of grammar and gives you a nice, comprehensive guide of how to make simple yet useful sentences.  After getting comfortable with conversation level Dothraki, you should move on to the Dothraki wiki and take notes on all the pages. It's all cataloged and laid out in a simple format and taking notes will be a breeze.  The wiki is the best source of grammar that you'll get for Dothraki, and is the easiest to access by far! 
Side note: Remember not to you memrise for grammar, since its only a source for memorizing vocab (I came very close to making that mistake when first learning Dothraki).

Also, the Dothraki dictionary app and pdf file (which you can find on the dictionary thread of this forum) to find the words that you want. They're incredibly helpful when writing anything down.

Other than that, I think you'll do well and I hope to see you stay on the forums!

Okeo shafki,

Choyosor
My name means butt swarm

HoeriVezhof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:12:35 am »
M'ath! Anha iddek yera!

I actually got into Dothraki the same way! Eventually I started watching the show too which is phenomenal. And yeah, if a person doesn't have any interest in the language and/or the culture surrounding that language, it's gonna be very hard to make someone learn it. Choyosor's outline is the best way to start learning the language, though I would add that you also look through the dialog on here once you've learned the core grammar to get a better feel for how the language works, and don't hesitate to post in the beginner's section or pm one of us with any questions. I'm still relatively newish myself, but I at least have much of the core grammar down and anything else I'm more than happy to try and figure out! I try to check the forums daily but If I don't respond for a day or two I'm probably busy with school or life but will do my best to respond as soon as possible.

p.s. I should also add that David Peterson has made other conlangs for sci-fi and fantasy shows such as the languages of Defiance, Trigedasleng for the 100 (the most enthusiastic community around his languages, according to David Peterson, and the easiest to learn since it's descended from English), and the languages of the new Emerald City show. You will also be able to learn High Valyrian on Duolingo sometime this summer, as David Peterson himself is working on a course for the language.
https://incubator.duolingo.com/courses/hv/en/status
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:08:15 am by HoeriVezhof »
Che vezak anha os che amovek - Hannibal Barca, ko Punik.

Alizia

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:38:44 am »
Welcome unicorn !

Where are you from ? =)

Hope you will love your dothraki learning !

Fonas chek !