Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Introductions / Rytsas! Caelan iksan!
« Last post by Caelan on July 06, 2018, 12:15:32 am »
Rytsas, syyz issa rhaenagon avy. Ñuha brōzi Caelan issa.

I’m new here and to High Valyrian, which is the dialect I chose to learn. I also personally chose to use the Ancient pronunciations. So if I ever post an audio and pronounce a word like “avy” as “ah-w-ee” it’s because of that.

To learn I am using a combination of the High Valyrian course on Duolingo and using the wiki.dothraki.org High Valyrian vocabulary. My hope is that I can use this forum as well. But the Valyrian section doesn’t seem quite as active as the Dothraki section. Which is understand able since Dothraki is further along than Valyrian. Maybe after David J. P. finishes the last 2/5 of the Duolingo course and adds the audio to it the Valyrian section will become more active. Until then I will keep learning with what I have access to and potentially make some posts on here. If anyone else learning High Valyrian or a similar Valyrian dialect would like to practice with me then please feel free to drop a PM or an email. I would love to have a study buddy and potentially learn the intricate differences between the Valyrian dialects (in case you haven’t noticed I love languages, muy mucho).

Well, geros ilas! Syyz bantis!

(P.S. I don’t have the line accent mark for the letter “y”. I substitute it by putting two “y”’s instead.)
Beginners / Dothraki Discord
« Last post by Khal_Qana on July 05, 2018, 11:08:02 am »
Just a reminder to anyone who's looking at this forum right now and wondering why it's so empty:

https://discord.gg/punTtWF

We're on Discord now. Click the link above and join the community discussion. Thanks!
Wow. It's been a month and no answers. She just made something up, I guess.
Announcements / Dothraki Survey
« Last post by adoricic on May 29, 2018, 09:10:03 am »
Hello, my name is Amy Doricic and I am an undergraduate student of Anthropology at UBC (Okanagan Campus). I am interested in the Dothraki language and speech community. Under the supervision of Dr. Christine Schreyer, I created a project to research if learning Dothraki impacts the way individuals perceive the cultures and languages of Game of Thrones.

The Nesolat Kijinosi Tiholat (To Learn Thus to Understand) Survey is a part of a project that explores how speakers of Dothraki appreciate different languages and cultural groups. In this survey, you will answer questions about the cultural groups and languages in Game of Thrones. If you have experience with the Dothraki language, you will also be asked about your experience with the language. Finally, you will read about several cultural traditions and answer questions. This survey will take fifteen to twenty minutes. The survey can be reached through https://tinyurl.com/DothrakiSurvey. Thank you very much for your participation!  :)
General Discussion / What did Emilia Clarke say in Dothraki in this interview?
« Last post by catraxor on May 26, 2018, 03:27:19 am »
Hi everyone. Emilia did an interview and she briefly spoke Dothraki. Could someone please tell me what she said? Thanks!

Here is when she says it: https://youtu.be/i-I8bu07fwM?t=18s
Dothraki Language Updates / Re: The Dictionary Thread
« Last post by Alizia on April 29, 2018, 06:26:06 am »
It would be interesting to start an unofficial dictionary with non-vetted words, with the understanding it will never be official or canon.

Some custom word had been added already. We need to sort them quickly.
I just see that links was dead. It's fix.
Beginners / My progress journal
« Last post by Caelan on March 19, 2018, 03:22:26 am »
This is my journal where I’ll be listing my progress as I learn High Valyrian using a combination of this forum, the wiki, YouTube, and Duolingo. First I need to explain why I am learning this language. Currently I am also learning Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, German, and Scottish Gaelic (my ancestral tongue). If it isn’t yet clear I love languages and want to learn as many as I can. Now I could do that by learning another natlang, but I won’t because I find conlangs interesting and High Valyrian in particular makes me think of Tolkien’s Elvish. A language I wished I could learn but couldn’t because it’s incomplete and has too few resources for learning it. So the language of dragon tamers will have to do. My goal is to become as fluent in this language as possible. I want to understand and be understood and someday if I have children I want to raise them to be multilingual with High Valyrian being one of the languages they speak natively. To further break down that goal I want to learn to read High Valyrian in the next two months. Further breaking down that goal I want to learn to read basic sentences in High Valyrian in a month. If anyone wants to give me tips feel free. I’ll be posting in this journal every two or three days about my progress. Before I go I would like to suggest to everyone to try to connect and learn Valyrian with each other using an app called Tandem (they have High Valyrian listed as well as Dothraki :D ). Until next time, kirimvose for reading this absurdly long post.
Beginners / Re: Conversations in Valyrian
« Last post by Caelan on March 17, 2018, 02:07:33 am »
{HV}
Rytsas!
Ñuha brōzi Caelan issa. Syyz issa rhaenagon avy!

Hi!
My name is Caelan. It’s nice to meet you!

(P.S. My keyboard doesn’t have the accent for the letter “y”. If you see two “y”’s next to each other like in “syyz” assume it’s the accented “y”.)
[HV - the REAL Valyrian dialect ;-)]

Rytsas tolvys!
Danny ñuha brōzi issa.
Sȳz kessa, jeme hēdrȳ rȳbagon!

Hello all!
My name is Danny.
It will be good, to hear from you!

(Kessa is Future 3rd person singular of 'to be' - an irregular verb. The second clause of the last sentence was tricky, I ordered it 'you [plural] from amongst [there was no 'from' by itself] to hear'.)

Avy kosti ivestragi “Syyz kessa, jeme hēm ryybagon!”.

You can say “Syyz kessa, jeme hēm ryybagon!”.

Dothraki Language Updates / Re: Dothraki News and Updates
« Last post by Khal_Qana on March 11, 2018, 02:42:25 pm »
M'athchomaroon, fellow nerds and Russian bots!  I made us a Discord for us to have easy, breezy conversations that don't take weeks in between responses.

I hope you guys pop in and say hello!
https://discord.gg/px2PNDW
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10