Author Topic: Chat Thread!  (Read 12359 times)

ShadowedSin

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Chat Thread!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 03:45:25 pm »
By the end of the year I will have hopefully five hundred words in Amazon. Yeah I'm like one of the major Conlang fanatics here.

Fyhen Shush - Good Bye.

Izzi

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 12:43:19 pm »
Hello everyone!

Pleased to meet other Dothraki enthusiasts. I have been an avid (some will say obsessed) fan of ASoIaF for years now and am looking forward to share this learning experience with other fans! I've always wanted to learn a created language. I'm an army brat and know French, English and Italian and always considered learning Esperanto as well as Klingon. But I've been saying to myself that I'd learn Klingon for years now and... well... yeah!...

But I think Dothraki is something I could realistically learn. I have no problems spending a couple of hours a day reading material on Dothraki and hope one day maybe I could be of use to this group in any little way I can.

I noticed some members of this group have chosen Dothraki names. I like that. What is your criteria for choosing a name? If I were to choose a Dothraki name, I think my nickname Izzy should be good? (or Izzi?) Hopefully, in future dictionary updates, Izzy won't mean something foul! lol

So yeah. Again, pleased to meet you all! Thank you Admins for this forum! And I raise my... Arakh to what I hope is the beginning of a new chapter in conlang history! Just glad (hope) that I can be part of it!

Dothraki FTW!
I've heard it said that poison is a woman's weapon.
-Ned Stark

http://izzysnotebook.blogspot.com/

ingsve

• Administrator
  • Student of the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 02:43:00 pm »
Hello everyone!

Pleased to meet other Dothraki enthusiasts. I have been an avid (some will say obsessed) fan of ASoIaF for years now and am looking forward to share this learning experience with other fans! I've always wanted to learn a created language. I'm an army brat and know French, English and Italian and always considered learning Esperanto as well as Klingon. But I've been saying to myself that I'd learn Klingon for years now and... well... yeah!...

But I think Dothraki is something I could realistically learn. I have no problems spending a couple of hours a day reading material on Dothraki and hope one day maybe I could be of use to this group in any little way I can.

I noticed some members of this group have chosen Dothraki names. I like that. What is your criteria for choosing a name? If I were to choose a Dothraki name, I think my nickname Izzy should be good? (or Izzi?) Hopefully, in future dictionary updates, Izzy won't mean something foul! lol

So yeah. Again, pleased to meet you all! Thank you Admins for this forum! And I raise my... Arakh to what I hope is the beginning of a new chapter in conlang history! Just glad (hope) that I can be part of it!

Dothraki FTW!

Hi, and welcome. We had an IRC chat with David Peterson who created the language and he said he read your post here. He said that izzat mean "to poison" so Izzi would probably be a Dothraki name that means something like "She who poisons". I don't know if you would see that as foul or if you perhaps have a mischievous side that fits the desription at least in spirit (and hopefully not literally).
"I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little" – Samwell Tarly

Izzi

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 03:05:56 pm »

Hi, and welcome. We had an IRC chat with David Peterson who created the language and he said he read your post here. He said that izzat mean "to poison" so Izzi would probably be a Dothraki name that means something like "She who poisons". I don't know if you would see that as foul or if you perhaps have a mischievous side that fits the desription at least in spirit (and hopefully not literally).
"I've heard it said that poison is a woman's weapon."
 Ned Stark

Wow!! Love it! I was really hoping it wasn't going to mean something like latrine. Hahaha! But "she who poisons"? That is (mischievously) awesome!

Thank you Ingsve!

Peterson, you rock!
I've heard it said that poison is a woman's weapon.
-Ned Stark

http://izzysnotebook.blogspot.com/

ValekLost

• Dothraki Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 08:45:43 am »
Hi :D

I've noticed this post only now.
I'm not a conlanger or a conlang geek, but I'm very fascinating by foreign languages, and at school I've been studied for years English, French, German and a little bit of Spanish. And this, at the end, involves conglang too, because I easily become a big-big-fan-of-something, and I throw myself into that world.

My biggest problem btw it's the lack of will for "academic studies", so I've learned good only English and a bit of French (though now it's quite rusty, because I listen to it often but I write/speak it a lot less, so I hope to take off some dust to it with you on this forum :D..and any correction/criticism is welcomed, given that also my English Grammar is not so clean at the moment) hating studying for all the rest.

And for this, out of the school I read a lot of things I would have NEVER read inside a college/university/seminar/private course XD and as I didn't study so much the languages I had to for school or learned other languages in general..as I learned Sindarin from LoTR, also if I haven't been read nothing about it for years, so at the momento I don't remember too much.
I'll fix that after learning Dothraki :P

It's a pity I cannot write in my curriculum "known languages: English, French, Sindarin and Dothraki", but really I'm NOT able to study something useful and "real" in this way <.<"
Ok. I'm definitely insane.

Last thing, I'm Italian guy and nice to meet you all :D